X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    To date, DU (not Univ Denver, Dan) is 570-328-102. If we split ties, as Chuck suggests, that is is a 0.621 winning percentage, not too shabby for a 26- year career. So, time to go; will be easier without a planned retirement tour season, with all of the hand-shaking, hugs and kisses, etc, at center ice.
    I'll tell you what, this weekend's DU/UND series was incredible hockey. With the two rivals going head-to-head and end-to-end in a critical series, it was reminiscent of 1999 at the Whitt. Denver swept, but North Dakota is good. Talk about a defensive corp to envy. Big, strong, mean, puck-movers...

BTW - four of those UND defensemen grew up in either North Dakota or in East Grand Forks, Minnesota, right across the river from the University. Sure helps to keep the local kids at home...
    Last edited by Dan; 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      But as far as the "March to 600" goes ...
      I have a hard time understanding why he'd simply want to hang on for 600, piecing together crappy seasons until the wins add up. I think Umile honestly thought he'd have good teams when this group grew up. The forward group is clearly getting more talented and older. The defensemen will all be upperclassmen next year and mostly seniors the year after that. And I can only imagine how excited he gets thinking about an experienced Tirone. Sounds pretty good for a return to the NCAA Tournament before he bows out...

Unfortunately - since Umile's plan was announced - Tirone has been awful, the defense has taken a step backwards, Foegel has left school and Poturalski may head to professional hockey a year or even two early. So much for the best laid plans of Dick Umile...
      Last edited by Dan; 02-14-2016, 07:29 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Trivia Questions (without looking up :-) ):

(We covered the single-digit win seasons in the last thread).

1. The Cats played 40 games last season, what with no bye and two 3-game series in the HEA postseason, along with one game at the Garden; when was the last previous season when the Cats played at least 40 games?

2. The Cats have won 30 or more games in a season twice in the Umile era; which two seasons?

3. How many and in which seasons during the Umile era did the Cats lose a single-digit number of games (not as easy as you might think)?
        Last edited by Snively65; 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Good point on the number of ties and their impact on his winning %. At the moment I am absorbed by a NHL game where neither team appears interested in playing D; one of the team's has someone in their admin named Yzerman. But, I will tally ties between the second and third.
          Oh, and BTW, Snively65, Yzerman left the Wings management to become GM of the Lightning way back in 2010; let's try keep up, eh? [pm from Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau].

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            Actually, I think 3 points might be enough if they all come against UConn. I think that series will decide the 8th spot. Unfortunately it could also mean a UNH-UConn series in the phony round again this year.
            I am wishing for enough points to finish 9th, so my never ending donation to UNH Wildcats can end after the UConn game. The thought of another $200 for a weekend playoff series is not on my list of things to do.

Comment

Whoa was surprised to see that there's not many seats left for the BU game at Agganis...have only been there twice to catch games and neither was that well attended; even with the Eichel influence last season! Maybe it's because they sell beer there and not at the 'whitt hahaha...
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Time running out on the quiz; tick, tock, tick, tock.

Comment

Oh, and BTW, Snively65, Yzerman left the Wings management to become GM of the Lightning way back in 2010; let's try keep up, eh? [pm from Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau].
                  Oui monsieur ... et bonjour Jacques!!
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

OK I'll take a wing-ding at your quiz, not looking things up will make this faster ...

Trivia Questions (without looking up :-) ):

(We covered the single-digit win seasons in the last thread).

1. The Cats played 40 games last season, what with no bye and two 3-game series in the HEA postseason, along with one game at the Garden; when was the last previous season when the Cats played at least 40 games?

2002/2003? (guessing)

2. The Cats have won 30 or more games in a season twice in the Umile era; which two seasons?

Pretty sure '98/'99 and '01/'02?

3. How many and in which seasons during the Umile era did the Cats lose a single-digit number of games (not as easy as you might think)?

Honestly, no idea ... I'll guess '96/'97 thru '98/'99, '01/'02 and ''02/'03? Apex years of the glory days.

Quiz with loaded question in return: What season did Scott Borek take over for Brian McCloskey?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Excellent answers, Chuck.

1. Only need to go back to '05/06 for 40 games, which was fifth year in a row.

2. Bingo.

3. Three out of four correct with '98/99 (7 losses), '99/00 (9), '01/02 (7), and '02/03 (8); 12 losses in '97/98 and '00/01. Only lost 10 games in '07/08, 11 in '10/11, and 11 in '12/13, but 19 losses in '11/12 and '14/15, and 17 losses in '13/14. Sigh.

Just providing some hints for the others on your Borek quiz.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        If that happens I will burn my pom pom in effigy! (not the best choice of words) You heard/read it here folks...knowing the 'Cats luck this is exactly what will happen. And seeing how I've already purchased HE semi tix, one can only hope, pray, wail to the hockey Gods, WEIT!!
                        Bumping this thread back to page one with a question: what bad luck are you referring to? Because they received quite a bit of good luck last postseason.
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                          Bumping this thread back to page one with a question: what bad luck are you referring to? Because they received quite a bit of good luck last postseason.
                          Think I meant to say despite the 'Cats season they would find a way to get back to the Garden but it doesn't come off that way! And yes we most certainly did...
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: Vermont Series"
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Just a heads up that Friday's BU game is 8:30 pm, as it is being broadcast on NESN.

To answer Chuck's trivia question, as apparently everyone else is baffled, or too disinterested to reply, Borek arrived at UNH for the 2002-2003 season. So, he experienced one of the great years of UNH men's hockey.

Comment

To answer Chuck's trivia question, as apparently everyone else is baffled, or too disinterested to reply, Borek arrived at UNH for the 2002-2003 season. So, he experienced one of the great years of UNH men's hockey.
                                Weird coincidence, Borek also became an assistant with Lake Superior in 95-96, and experienced their last 30 win season.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X