This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
    You said UNH should get $750k/football game. I said Maine played two games and didn't get that. You conceded prices were dropping, but (and this is what I am arguing) then said Maine got ripped off and posted an article with 2014 prices. I listed a bunch of 2015 prices showing P5 games, and Maine's $400k was competitive. And I said that Maine maybe could have gotten $25k more to play a team of BC's caliber but would have had to spend more on travel and had some other benefits that mitigated that $25k.

I wasn't debating anything other than that you were vastly inflating the price of FCS vs. FBS games. There are maybe 15 teams nationally paying the rate that you want UNH to be getting for a football game. Good luck competing with the other 124 or so FCS teams for one of those 15 games, especially because UNH is a good team that offers a chance for the FBS team to lose while, say, Savannah State will roll over and lose 55-0. I'm happy Maine got a fair deal getting $400k from BC and $325k from Tulane based on what similar schools pay.
    Well, I was only meaning to refer to those select schools, but I apologize for taking a cheap shot at Maine. With your hockey program being so bad, I hardly get the chance anymore.** If that was the right deal for them that's great, but that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities for more money. FCS prices will go up again when the playoff field expands. But the football team at UNH, as I said before has earned the right to make whatever decisions they want. Max payouts, good payouts, all home games...

** yeah, yeah mines awful too
    Last edited by Dan; 03-02-2016, 07:45 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Well, I was only meaning to refer to those select schools, but I apologize for taking a cheap shot at Maine. With your hockey program being so bad, I hardly get the chance anymore.** If that was the right deal for them that's great, but that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities for more money. FCS prices will go up again when the playoff field expands. But the football team at UNH, as I said before has earned the right to make whatever decisions they want. Max payouts, good payouts, all home games...

** yeah, yeah mines awful too
      Yeah that's fine. Maine has played those games in the past (Nebraska, Mississippi State, scheduled Florida State but cancelled). They're great and you take them if you can get them but so many schools want them you can't count on it.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
        Richie do the right thing and step down now, do it for your legacy, do for your alma mater, do it for Sonar! It's extremely competitive recruiting when you are actually working at it. Yeah I heard you've been in the rinks again, but it too little too late. Oh and take your boss with you!
        That's an interesting tidbit, hidden in all of the football "will lose for money" discussion. Details?

HR - watching DRW getting it handed to them by the 'Hawks tonight. Not happy
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          That's an interesting tidbit, hidden in all of the football "will lose for money" discussion. Details?

HR - watching DRW getting it handed to them by the 'Hawks tonight. Not happy
          Yup. Bread man!! 5-1 ☺️
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

UNH @ Merrimack MBPBEGAM round preview from Fosters' Al Pike:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl.../NEWSLETTER100

The good news is UNH went 1-0-1 against Merrimack this season, although the teams haven't crossed paths since the middle of November. The Wildcats won the first meeting 4-2 on Oct. 31, and the second one ended in a 3-3 tie on Nov. 14.

Both games were on the road.

"There's not a whole lot of room," said coach Dick Umile. "They can bottle you up there, it's so small, and they do it pretty well."

Note to Coach: it's not like you've cornered the market on slick, lightning quick wingers up front anytime recently. With your current squad, perhaps you guys might want to be the "bottlers" instead of the "bottle-ees"?

Extra special note of irony, of course ... attaching the term "bottler" (see English football meaning of the term) to the UNH/Umile scenario.

I think the good news for Coach is he gets to 571 on the Slog to 600, but that means a 2-1 series loss too.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
              I am also giving up my two season tickets .... have had them since 1969.
              Sorry to hear that Sonar. Your post of last month - describing your thoughts while sitting in the back row of the student section at the end of a loss was the best I've ever read on this board. The writing - perceptive, depressing, yet humorous - was brilliant.
              Sometime before the season ends I might share my thoughts on the Jumbotron - how it's used and what it's done to the atmosphere at the Whitt, none of it good.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
                Sorry to hear that Sonar. Your post of last month - describing your thoughts while sitting in the back row of the student section at the end of a loss was the best I've ever read on this board. The writing - perceptive, depressing, yet humorous - was brilliant.
                Sometime before the season ends I might share my thoughts on the Jumbotron - how it's used and what it's done to the atmosphere at the Whitt, none of it good.
                I apologize for harping about this, but to this fan, and as you know I've only been at it for a couple of seasons, the BIGGEST, single most disappointing thing I've noticed this season (atmosphere wise of course) is the intro being lost to that movie of past UNH teams, which, don't even include skaters from the last 3 seasons. It's so anti climatic when they do skate out with the UNH flag...hardly gets you psyched for the upcoming games. NO WONDER they won what, 5, 6 games at the 'Whitt this season? Not to demean the m ovie; UNH tradition is awesome and should be a part of the fan experience, but it's just not the same. And of course that's NOT the reason we did so poorly at home this eason, but it's all a part of it.

As per the 'tron, the games etc have done nothing for us in our section; I only use it for the player intros and replays of goals/other plays of importance. The rest of it? Pffftttt...That all being said? I'm glad we have it, but for the reasons mentioned. Looking forward to hearing your take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  I apologize for harping about this, but to this fan, and as you know I've only been at it for a couple of seasons, the BIGGEST, single most disappointing thing I've noticed this season (atmosphere wise of course) is the intro being lost to that movie of past UNH teams, which, don't even include skaters from the last 3 seasons. It's so anti climatic when they do skate out with the UNH flag...hardly gets you psyched for the upcoming games. NO WONDER they won what, 5, 6 games at the 'Whitt this season? Not to demean the m ovie; UNH tradition is awesome and should be a part of the fan experience, but it's just not the same. And of course that's NOT the reason we did so poorly at home this eason, but it's all a part of it.

As per the 'tron, the games etc have done nothing for us in our section; I only use it for the player intros and replays of goals/other plays of importance. The rest of it? Pffftttt...That all being said? I'm glad we have it, but for the reasons mentioned. Looking forward to hearing your take on it.
                  My wife who has been a UNH hockey fan as long as I have .... although she stopped going to games a couple of months ago .... told me that the Jumbotron was " toxic."
                  Why? She said at Snively, and the early years of the Whitt, "the fans got a chance to cheer in a spontaneous way." I found that interesting. John Conroy and his organ was in addition to the fan noise. It seems that now the fan noise only can occur when directed by the jumbotron .... and only if there is a break from the continues advertisements, what food is being eaten, see my picture up on the Tron opportunities, and .... well if you been to games you know what it is like. Of course it is the same in most pro arenas .... that does not make it positive. At the last game I actually timed the spaces that were available between the announcers (too loud) pronouncements .... it was 8 seconds.

Yeah, I know .... "and get off my lawn."

However, artificial anything cannot usually replace the real thing .... and the potential for "toxicity" is enhanced. Try to visualize your experience during the .... Cox-Hislop-Clark goals .... in the current atmosphere of the Jumbotron .... they might have been awarding the "fan of the game" award between the 2nd & 3rd goal.

Comment

Remember who was the lone voice in the wilderness back when y'all were getting goosepimples over the 'tron.

You were warned. No spontaneity allowed. Just sit there and watch yer Tron, and be nice, obedient fans.

Will the last long-time season ticket holder turn out the lights on the way out of The Whitt (RIP)?

Comment

The video quality, replays, enhanced statistics (face offs won!!!) offset the price of living in modern times. Look around at the kids during smile cam, food cam, Kelsey cam and the incessant noise. They love it. I like stick figure cam.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

But this was the missing piece for all of the recruiting failures. Well, that and French.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

I'm all about me.

Comment

Meanwhile, 30 - 40 miles south, there's an actual hockey game tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Meanwhile, 30 - 40 miles south, there's an actual hockey game tonight.
                              Yep who knew?!? Sitting and watching warm ups... Go 'Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by DickUmile View Post
                                The seniors have been a great group as far as leadership. We need the secondary group, the younger players. They’ve got to start to figure it out.
                                http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/03/team...#ixzz41t4lmEyp
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X