X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Tough year for most of the state schools in HE (congrats to Coach Bazin at UML for being the only exception, and for snagging home ice and a bye despite the doubters). Here's the bottom 5 of the HE RS standings ...

(8) UConn
    (9) UVM
    (10) UNH
    (11) UMaine
    (12) UMass

The folks at URI apparently could not be reached for comment on their own future D-1 aspirations ...
    Well, U.Conn is just passing by... they lack depth but are getting higher end kids than UNH (Wisocky, Elser, Mayer, Wiseman). They lack the facilities, but have a good HC/recruiter. U.Maine is just not attractive enough for kids given its location. U.Vermont should be OK but the coach's defensive style is stiffling and unattractive, and U.Mass -- who knows, almost all of their players were recruited elsewhere and were taken in there. I wonder if the next coach is the winner..wonder what would have
    happened to them and us if they took Borek three or so years ago.

UNH should be just passing through, as well, as they are a near Boston suburb, and have a history of success.

Souza spent the last two years as an assistant coach at Connecticut under head coach Mike Cavanaugh, and played an integral role as the Huskies transitioned to Hockey East last season.
    “(Souza) will have an opportunity to succeed me and take over the program,” Umile said. “That will be the transition going forward. (Athletic director) Marty (Scarano) makes the decisions. Mike knew that by coming back with us he’d have that opportunity when I retire and my career is over. Obviously, I have three years left before that. I’m excited about it. I’ll finish my career coaching at UNH.”
    Umile is going into his 26th season as UNH’s head coach. He has 560 career wins, and is one of four active Division I coaches to have 500-plus victories.
    The extension is reportedly worth $248,000 per year. Scarano could not be reached for comment.
    I won't say more as we'll have all spring to flay the horse.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-28-2016, 09:05 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Contrary to the feeling exiting the Whitt last night, when comparing the season to shooting an injured horse, the season is not over:

The head to head record backs that up.

It was a classy move starting McD, a classy kid, in his last regular season home game, but he was clearly not up to par. We probably won't be shaking things up vs. 'mack, but it is Miller time. I am 100% back to Eiserman skating with TK and Pots. Nice open ice hit Shane. From the desperate times call for desperate measures department and with a tie = to a win we should have pulled DT as soon as offensive zone possession was established during OT. If nothing else, for the entertainment value plus it is cruel to let the horse suffer longer than necessary.

Go 'cats!
      Totally agree with your summation here felt Eiserman played a great game esp going after his own rebound and scoring. That open ice hit was esp sweet. That was the game the 'Cats didn't bring to the third. Glad too I guess we are playing 'Mack although the Thurs night game will make for an early Fri morning.

Did you stick around for the skate around? Players were in disbelief like the rest of us. Well onto the next. Oh and couldn't help but notice the hug (of sorts) between DU amd JM in the handshake line. Funny how the loss of that one kid really haunted (among other things) the 'Cats all season imo...
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Fans = injured horse is a good analogy.
        Season = injured horse. Think big.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Totally agree with your summation here felt Eiserman played a great game esp going after his own rebound and scoring. That open ice hit was esp sweet. That was the game the 'Cats didn't bring to the third. Glad too I guess we are playing 'Mack although the Thurs night game will make for an early Fri morning.

Did you stick around for the skate around?
          Players were in disbelief like the rest of us. Well onto the next. Oh and couldn't help but notice the hug (of sorts) between DU amd JM in the handshake line. Funny how the loss of that one kid really haunted (among other things) the 'Cats all season imo...
          Of course. A friend next to me remarked that it was sad few fans remained and fewer were close to the glass so I hustled down and banged the glass as they passed by tapping their sticks. I made eye contact with McD., TK and a few others. Their looks of disappointment, sadness and disbelief were obvious. One or two looked close to tears. I came away with the sense that they appreciated those who remained and felt they had let us down.

Nice to see you posting. Onward...
          Last edited by Darius; 02-28-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Of course. A friend next to me remarked that it was sad few fans remained and fewer were close to the glass so I hustled down and banged the glass as they passed by tapping their sticks. I made eye contact with McD., TK and a few others. Their looks of disappointment, sadness and disbelief were obvious. One or two looked close to tears. I came away with the sense that they appreciated those who remained and felt they had let us down.

Nice to see you posting. Onward...
            Aw, thanks. I mean...what else is there? I'm glad we too went to the boards and hung around in the lobby abit to find out what was going on regarding who we'd be playing etc. The Seniors had an event upstairs with FOH and many others were in the lobby getting kudos and signing pucks for kids, seeing family, etc.. All they can do is regroup. No doubt they carried the loss hard maybe it's gonna be motivating against 'Mack.

Comment

Meanwhile, in Plymouth State Panthers Land:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...17/-1/sports22

Hey Snively65 am seriously considering attending their game Tuesday night...6 pm start semi final MASCAC game. Alma Mater and all...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Meanwhile, in Plymouth State Panthers Land:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...17/-1/sports22

Hey Snively65 am seriously considering attending their game Tuesday night...6 pm start semi final MASCAC game. Alma Mater and all...
                Have fun, HR. Nice new arena, with rowdy goal song, but alas no Jumbotron, which may explain in part why the Panthers will have home ice all the way through their postseason, unlike the NH flagship school.

Comment

Did you stick around for the skate around? Players were in disbelief like the rest of us. Well onto the next. Oh and couldn't help but notice the hug (of sorts) between DU amd JM in the handshake line. Funny how the loss of that one kid really haunted (among other things) the 'Cats all season imo...
                  I know it was you, Joey. You broke my heart. You're nothing to me now. You're not a recruit, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the arenas, I don't want you near my house. When you play my team, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I know it was you, Joey. You broke my heart. You're nothing to me now. You're not a recruit, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the arenas, I don't want you near my house. When you play my team, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?
                    Wishing his Mom a happy, healthy and very looooong life.

Comment

oh my...haha! Next thing you know, there'll be a horses head (uhoh, that horse) in someone's bed...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Assuming DU even met or knew JM?

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                          Assuming DU even met or knew JM?
                          yeah, who actually knows just appeared that they did have a 'moment' (for lack of a better term). I've seen DU have appreciation for players in the line, ones that stand out, before so this seemed kind of the norm from my observations. 'Course...just a perception. It was interesting too to watch him (JM) play this weekend. He and Vela were not on the most kindest of terms we noted! Good player; hope we can be fortunate to land a decent D as well.

Comment

oh my...haha! Next thing you know, there'll be a horses head (uhoh, that horse) in someone's bed...
                            If I was Luce, I'd be springing for double the usual security, at least 'til the end of the MBPBEGAM round.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              I was leaving the Whitt tonight .... and another rather elderly man shuffled slowly by me and said ... "What has happened to UNH Men and Women's hockey?"
                              We briefly made eye contact even though he really didn't seem to be talking to me.
                              It was one of the saddest moments of my 46 year season ticket holder experience.

I fully realize that it is just hockey and I certainly have experienced sadder events/happening in my 76 years .... but .... well just but ..........
                              I like you have followed UNH since the late 60's, grew up a Snivley rat. Watched Umile play. So sad, they need new leadership maybe even a clean slate I hate to say.
                              Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Ralph!!! I know it was a different time but Ralph was truly a special player. The first time I ever heard his name was in, I think, 1974. My wife worked with a woman whose son played for Archbishop Williams and she kept talking about this kid whose stick, she said, had a magnet for the puck. That kid was Ralph Cox. When he was a high school senior, I remember going to see Archies play Stoneham (captained by another UNHer, Paul Surdam) in the old Garden. Archies won, they had a fantastic team, but Ralph was the center point. By that time I knew he was going to UNH and I wondered how he would fit in. UNH already had Hislop, Cox, Lumley and this freshman from Billerica Bob Miller. Needless to say he fit in nicely. A lot of Ralph Cox memories while he was at UNH. But two stand out. One was in the wildest ECAC semis and finals ever in 1977 (10-9 win over Cornell, 8-6 loss to BU in the final). One goal stands out because it happened right in front of me. He comes down the right wing, takes a pass from Miller and in one motion fires a wrist shot, top corner by the frozen goalie. Another was his senior year. UNH is playing Clarkson at the infamous Walker Arena. Clarkson (I think Jerry York was an assistant there then) had tremendous offensive teams. UNH falls behind in the first period, but Ralph scores one. He scores another in the second, then takes the game over in the third, scoring two more to seal the win. Just a great player.

Although I knew he had broken an ankle leading up to the Olympic tryouts, and I am sure it hampered his abilities on the ice, he was the leading scorer on the team throughout most of their tour of Europe and North America. It was pretty much acknowledged that Herb Brooks favored the western college players, particularly those he coached at Minnesota, over the eastern ones. There were only five eastern guys on the roster, the four from BU (Silk, O'Callaghan, Eruzione, Craig) and Ralph. I am pretty sure he would have added more to the team than some western guys who made it. And I am sure these arguments would have been given if the US had gotten trounced. But you can't argue with success. And the one thing that success gave us was the final, grudging acknowledgement by the NHL that US college players could play the game. I've gotten to know Ralph a bit since those days. The last time I saw him was at last years NCAA's in Boston. He was walking through the Garden concourse with Tim Burke and Gordie Clark. Should have taken a picture. But what you see in this video clip is the way Ralph is in person, always a gentleman.
                                Can you imagine if UNH had a kid like Bobby Miller again? He was so dominant, better than Krog imo.
                                Go Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X