This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    He better be, as he is the only who can score at the moment. Poturalski -2 and 1 SOG? Really?
    Believe it...prob the worst game I have seen in my very limited time as a fan. UConn did whatever they pretty much wanted in our zone (surprise!!!!) although I will give their goalie a lot of props. Leturnov (sorry Husky fans if I don't have that right) is a good player for them skated circles around our D. I should quit while I'm ahead somebody stop me 😭.
    Ps ok ok ok it was a penalty filled nightmare for the 'Cats which led to a lot of frustration. There I feel better already seeing how the home ice thingy isnt really all that important...
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-26-2016, 09:45 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      'Watcher, honestly if you can read the following paragraph without either bursting out laughing and/or puking your guts out over the smarmy self-importance of this guy, then you're a better man than I ... just for spits and giggles, I've highlighted the stuff he very easily could have said without laying it on thick about his own role - and do we *really* think the short time he spent with Souza made the slightest bit of difference? Do we *really* think Luce had any say in Umile's decision?

"When I became a head coach, one of the things I wanted was to build a program that is meant to mentor players but also assistant coaches," said Cavanaugh, an assistant at Boston College before landing the UConn job. "I said to myself, 'When I become a head coach, that's going to be something I'll really take pride in.' From the minute Mike got here, and Joe [Peirera], we sit down at the end of every year and say, 'Hey, where are you in becoming a head coach? What do you have to do? What are some skills you need to improve on?' Right from the beginning, I told Mike, 'I don't want you leaving for another assistant's job.' He's going to his alma mater and he's going to work for a coach I have the utmost respect for. Dick Umile, when you look at not only his success as a hockey coach, but how he mentors his players, he's a coach I can honestly say truly cares about every kid who comes through his program. Mike couldn't have a better mentor over the next couple of years before he takes over as head coach. It's a wonderful opportunity and I'm really happy for him. It will be a seemless transition when Dick decides to retire. I told Dick I would support it if they were going to move him to head coach. Dick said, 'That's our plan.' I was very happy. I have a great relationship with Dick. He's an upfront, honest guy. I know he cares about Mike like a son."

See what I mean? 90% of it's about Luce this, Luce that, blah blah blah. I mean, get over yourself.

P.S. - was that *our* Joe Masonius that got the helper on the UConn shortie??
      You betcha!! (See my post)

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        You had one job...sighhhh and empty netter by JM. Figures.
        I have been more active on the board this year than in the past, probably out of anger as the decline of UNH Hockey is nearing rock bottom. I have been going to UNH games since 1995 when I first went to UNH, the past 14 as a season ticket holder and this year is the first year I go to games because I have to. Getting text updates from my daughter tonight with the first two saying UNH gave up a shorty then a pp goal, I hung my head and laughed.

From one of the greatest movies of all time (Rounders) and quotes of all times, Mike McDermott: "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." describes this season. We play a tough game against Lowell at home, lost 1-0, few close games against PC with a win, a win at Lowell, tie against BU and you think well maybe this team can make a run.

In reality, they are just bad. If you expect different then shame on you. After all these years and endless dollars to UNH, away games, Garden games, ect, I am praying for no better than a tie tomorrow night. Why? Because I do not want to spend the money on 4 tickets per game next weekend for the MHCGHENGHDD game or whatever Chuck calls it.

With that said, he is my prediction for the rest of the year for the hell of it

1. UNH wins tomorrow on senior night, just because stats say they are due for a win and bad luck says I have to spend money
        2. We get the 8th seed, win 2-1 against UCONN next weekend (why not make us pay for 3 games)
        3. Lose a close game and get pounded in the other by BC the following weekend
        4. Umile, forgoes two years and his potential $450K in salary and decides there is no hope in the next two year and leaves before he scrapes out 600 wins (As the guy next to me put it, Umile coached his 1,000 game after York won 1,000)

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Well sir tell us something we don't know but some of us still hang in there because that's what fans do. Doesn't mean we (I should speak for myself here because right now I am in the whine phase and I apologize) are happy with the current state of affairs!! In fact right now I see Merrimack is taking care of business...

If you've read this board you'd see we do understand the stark realities of where we are...Don't even know why I am bothering to even respond to this post on the first place....And if they got rid of the fish throw well heck that would pretty much just about do it now wouldn't it. Double harrumph. No way I'm going back down here if we end up here first round.

One trip...is enough!!!
          Sorry, HR, you have never understood how far UNH has fallen. Great to have a positive view. Your happy days view is tiresome.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
            Sorry, HR, you have never understood how far UNH has fallen. Great to have a positive view. Your happy days view is tiresome.
            Well I will just say this; having never experienced the UNH hey day many here speak of you may be right to some degree. That said, I do get it and more than you might realize. Takes all kinds to make a message board and to each his own. I have enjoyed my brief fan affiliation and you can't say all of my posts have had a "happy days"'view as you say, esp this evening. And...don't like my posts? Don't read 'em... 😉 Good night!
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-27-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
              Now, now...
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

First of all ... condolences to HR, who clearly had a stressful evening last night in the "Former Insurance Capital of the World". Hartford has certainly seen its better days, and almost a generation removed from The Whale's departure for the Carolinas - not to mention Krafty Bob's nearly-forgotten dalliance with the would-be Patriots' "Adrian's Landing" project - I guess having Luce Canaan's soon-to-be-dynastic UConn Huskies Men's Hockey program paying some rent at The Mall is a modest baby step back towards the capital's sports relevance.

On top of that, despite seemingly having a meltdown over the course of last night's *events* ... HR somehow manages to take some heat for being the positive side of the UNH fan base. And sets the stage for a throw-down with a relatively restrained billb on the concourse at The Whitt between periods of tonight's home finale. These are dire times indeed at UmileWorld.

Anyway ... hope a good night's sleep has you feeling better this morning HR.

Now, onto my favorite post from the overnight ...

Originally posted by norbert View Post
                I have been more active on the board this year than in the past, probably out of anger as the decline of UNH Hockey is nearing rock bottom. I have been going to UNH games since 1995 when I first went to UNH, the past 14 as a season ticket holder and this year is the first year I go to games because I have to. Getting text updates from my daughter tonight with the first two saying UNH gave up a shorty then a pp goal, I hung my head and laughed.
                For some reason, last night I was able to get excellent radio reception of the game on my drive home. The last thing I did at the office before leaving was my post responding to 'Watcher about my *admiration* of the UConn HC (*ack*), by which time UNH was already down 1-0. It was already 2-0 by the time I clicked on the radio on my way out of town. At that point, I was tempted to drive the car back into the office's garage and work some serious OT to refocus on something more *pleasant*. By the time I was halfway home, I'd already substituted my Led Zep "Houses of the Holy" CD. The best decision of the night, as it turned out. Screw good reception (and yes, I realize this tells you all how I still live in the pre-historic world) ...

From one of the greatest movies of all time (Rounders) and quotes of all times, Mike McDermott: "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." describes this season. We play a tough game against Lowell at home, lost 1-0, few close games against PC with a win, a win at Lowell, tie against BU and you think well maybe this team can make a run.
                My "sucker" moment was earlier in the season, with the late December unbeaten run that got the team's record briefly over .500. Briefly. I think I've been able to avoid approaching "sucker" status despite a couple of recent wins and a tie.

In reality, they are just bad. If you expect different then shame on you. After all these years and endless dollars to UNH, away games, Garden games, ect, I am praying for no better than a tie tomorrow night. Why? Because I do not want to spend the money on 4 tickets per game next weekend for the MHCGHENGHDD game or whatever Chuck calls it.)
                MBPBEGAM ... Make Believe Phony Baloney Everyone Gets A Medal round of the so-called HE Tournament Playoffs. But yeah, I'm on board with you 100%. They are just bad. Now on to your predictions ...

With that said, he is my prediction for the rest of the year for the hell of it

1. UNH wins tomorrow on senior night, just because stats say they are due for a win and bad luck says I have to spend money
                Rest easy, your money is safe. The best UNH does tonight is a tie.
                2. We get the 8th seed, win 2-1 against UCONN next weekend (why not make us pay for 3 games)
                Still the wide-eyed optimist, eh? Tonight will be the home finale. Losing 2-1 on the road next weekend
                3. Lose a close game and get pounded in the other by BC the following weekend
                The season will mercifully be over, without suffering this final indignity.
                4. Umile, forgoes two years and his potential $450K in salary and decides there is no hope in the next two year and leaves before he scrapes out 600 wins (As the guy next to me put it, Umile coached his 1,000 game after York won 1,000)
                Here's where you and I can be suckers together.
                The Road to 600 is starting to resemble the siege of Stalingrad in the midst of the Russian winter. We'll be needing more Bentley's and AIC's on the 2016/2017 schedule at this rate ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  For some reason, last night I was able to get excellent radio reception of the game on my drive home. The last thing I did at the office before leaving was my post responding to 'Watcher about my *admiration* of the UConn HC (*ack*), by which time UNH was already down 1-0. It was already 2-0 by the time I clicked on the radio on my way out of town. At that point, I was tempted to drive the car back into the office's garage and work some serious OT to refocus on something more *pleasant*. By the time I was halfway home, I'd already substituted my Led Zep "Houses of the Holy" CD. The best decision of the night, as it turned out. Screw good reception (and yes, I realize this tells you all how I still live in the pre-historic world) ...
                  My favorite Zep song ever, on that album. A propos UNH, the soaring emotions of the beautiful guitar (back when Page could play)
                  I've felt the coldness of my winter
                  I never thought it would ever go. I cursed the gloom that set upon us, 'pon us, 'pon us...
                  But I know that I love you so. But I know that I love you so

These are the seasons of emotion and like the wind they rise and fall
                  This is the wonder of devotion - I see the torch we all must hold.
                  This is the mystery of the quotient, quotient - Upon us all, upon us all a little rain must fall.
                  It's just a little rain oh yeah
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Maybe BS35+3 can arrange for Niagara and/or RIT to visit Lake Whitt next season? Got some scores to settle with those two AHC teams.

Here is my suggestion for next season: split up Poturalski and Kelleher and move them back to the blue line to be the PMD-men on each of the first two pairs. They have been the only ones capable of moving the puck out of UNH zone all season anyway. Neither has an agent or pro team that can protest. Also, DU can leave more of these so-called Dmen in the stands and give frosh forwards more ice time next season.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      My favorite Zep song ever, on that album. A propos UNH, the soaring emotions of the beautiful guitar (back when Page could play)
                      Ironically, released a year after Coach graduated from UNH.

And a year before Clark-Hislop-Cox put together their own masterpiece.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        ...And sets the stage for a throw-down with a relatively restrained billb on the concourse at The Whitt between periods of tonight's home finale. These are dire times indeed at UmileWorld.
                        Do you stay up at night thinking of this stuff? (just teasing...I got hammered on the other thread about my "brain dumps"...at least it's a little more civil here and people aren't as defensive)

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Do you stay up at night thinking of this stuff? (just teasing...I got hammered on the other thread about my "brain dumps"...at least it's a little more civil here and people aren't as defensive)
                          Haha well doubt I'll be throwing down anybody after last night. Mental note to self and repeat after me: stay off the USCHO board after a frustrating night of UNH hockey (oops that was often enough this season) and OR do not post after driving to Hartford after a long day of traveling (not going back there had my fill) OR...after a few absolutes and crans in the hotel bar with a couple of other disgruntled UNH fans just saying. 😝 Which ever comes first but just to keep it real I will be waiting by the pic between periods tonight just in case! 😉 🙄
                          Seriously the basic scenario tonight to keep home ice is to win of course and hope there is isn't a tie between Merrimack and UVM if I have it right. Senior night and all wishing them the best.

Comment

Cruel irony: tonight we tie.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Cruel irony: tonight we tie.
                              Win, lose or draw tonight, this is an important evening in the future of the program.

Another step in the symbolic cleaning of the Augean stable.
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                Win, lose or draw tonight, this is an important evening in the future of the program.

Another step in the symbolic cleaning of the Augean stable.
                                That is the ONLY reason I find myself at a Denver bar to watch this game...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X