X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

"UNH Recruits Update: Feb-12-2016"

Spotlight on Liam Blackburn, Charlie Kelleher, and Brendan van Riemsdyk.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

2015-16 2016-17 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20
    Dan Correale Liam Blackburn Liam Blackburn Liam Blackburn Liam Blackburn
    Max Gaudreault BVR BVR BVR BVR
    Collin McDonald Patrick Grasso Patrick Grasso Patrick Grasso Patrick Grasso
    Kyle Smith Justin Fregona Justin Fregona Justin Fregona Justin Fregona
    Jamie Hill Jamie Hill? Eric MacAdams Eric MacAdams Eric MacAdams
    T.Kelleher T.Kelleher J.Cipollone J.Cipollone J.Cipollone
    C.Bourque Charlie Kelleher Charlie Kelleher Charlie Kelleher Charlie Kelleher
    Andrew Poturalski Andrew Poturalski Andrew Poturalski Eric Esposito Eric Esposito
    Warren Foegele TBD TBD TBD TBD
    Shane Eiserman Shane Eiserman Shane Eiserman TBD TBD
    M.McNicholas M.McNicholas M.McNicholas Jason O'Neill Jason O'Neill
    J.Salvaggio J.Salvaggio J.Salvaggio TBD TBD
    Marcus Vela Marcus Vela Marcus Vela Marcus Vela TBD
    A. Nazarian A. Nazarian A. Nazarian A. Nazarian TBD
    Chris Miller Chris Miller Chris Miller Chris Miller TBD
    J. Kalinowski TBD TBD Aaron O'Neill Aaron O'Neill
    Harry Quast TBD TBD TBD TBD
    Matias Cleland Matias Cleland TBD TBD TBD
    Dylan Maller Dylan Maller Liam Darcy Liam Darcy Liam Darcy
    John Furgele John Furgele John Furgele TBD TBD
    Cam Marks Cam Marks Cam Marks TBD TBD
    Rich Boyd Rich Boyd Rich Boyd TBD TBD
    Dylan Chanter Dylan Chanter Dylan Chanter Corson Green Corson Green
    Matt Dawson Matt Dawson Matt Dawson Matt Dawson TBD
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-13-2016, 07:52 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

I count seven freshman forwards and one freshman D-man next season, although my guess is that we can also expect a freshman forward replacement for Poturalski. To borrow a phrase from the new season thread, there really appears to be a logjam on the blue line for the next two years.
      Last edited by Snively65; 02-13-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        I count seven freshman forwards and one freshman D-man next season, although my guess is that we can also expect a freshman forward replacement for Poturalski. To borrow a phrase from the new season thread, there really appears to be a logjam on the blue line for the next two years.
        I had used the phrase more to reflect the future players in the pipeline, rather than those already on campus. As I was using it, I meant that there are commitments out there that from a current perspective look to be bad investments.
        But, to use it in your context, they actually should have a decent amount of money available, even on Defense. Since last summer they A) lost Masonius, a high level commitment 2015-16 B) lost Ryczek, a high level commitment 2016-17, C) lost Warren Foegele.
        They brought in Matt Dawson, a lower level (money wise) kid, and otherwise have committed no other money for 2016.
        While the math is not that direct, in theory they should have had (and continue to have) immediate flexibility.

The silence on that immediate (2016-17) recruiting is ... let's call it interesting. I had though they might be able to swoop in on decommitments, but a bunch of those went elsewhere (Paschnruk to Arizona St; O'Leary to Notre Dame; Cam Lee to W.Mich; Conway & Duhaime to Providence; folkes to Penn St; Davies to Denver).

Maybe they will add a late European with all that flexibility
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-14-2016, 07:25 AM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

How about three 22-year-old Europeans to join TyK and Cleland as a starting five?

Comment

How about three 22-year-old Europeans to join TyK and Cleland as a starting five?
            Baby steps, Snively ... gotta learn to walk before you can run, "next" one would be the first (evah) at UNH.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Baby steps, Snively ... gotta learn to walk before you can run, "next" one would be the first (evah) at UNH.
              My thinking is that if BS35+3 is gong to break the bank by sending Stewie or MS across the Pond to recruit, makes more sense to come back with three commits for 2016-2017, instead of one. Hey, all of these guys speak 10 languages, so Admissions should not be a problem. With the silence on the home recruiting front, I believe that a big Euro score must be the grand plan. I am thinking about when UML brought over half the Finnish team a few years ago.
              Last edited by Snively65; 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

My thinking is that if BS35+3 is gong to break the bank by sending Stewie or MS across the Pond to recruit, makes more sense to come back with three commits for 2016-2017, instead of one. Hey, all of these guys speak 10 languages, so Admissions should not be a problem. With the silence on the home recruiting front, I believe that a big Euro score must be the grand plan. I am thinking about when UML brought over half the Finnish team a few years ago.
                Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it. And Souza has some experience (and hopefully productive contacts?) with European hockey, so I'm hoping you're right.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it. And Souza has some experience (and hopefully productive contacts?) with European hockey, so I'm hoping you're right.
                  Souza is a big Trump supporter. He's more likely to build a wall than have a foreigner take one of our jobs. Expect a continuation of the Umile Doctrine.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Souza is a big Trump supporter. He's more likely to build a wall than have a foreigner take one of our jobs. Expect a continuation of the Umile Doctrine.
                    Hey, watcher, you got us going on this track; now you are deflating our hopes and dreams? :-)

Comment

I always chuckle when I read/hear about building walls along borders, and then no one says squat about keeping out the folks north of our border (not to mention that pesky NAFTA thing we signed to include Mexico in our free trade zone with Canada). If they're going to build a wall, the border between Mexico and Guatemala/Belize may be a little less costly, no??

Sorry for going off topic. If Souza really isn't willing to look abroad, I'm disappointed but not shocked.

*Maybe* it won't be the guy after THE GUY, but the guy who follows the guy after THE GUY who does it.

By then I should either be retired, very close OR pushing up daisies.

Comment

I always chuckle when I read/hear about building walls along borders, and then no one says squat about keeping out the folks north of our border (not to mention that pesky NAFTA thing we signed to include Mexico in our free trade zone with Canada). If they're going to build a wall, the border between Mexico and Guatemala/Belize may be a little less costly, no??

Sorry for going off topic. If Souza really isn't willing to look abroad, I'm disappointed but not shocked.

*Maybe* it won't be the guy after THE GUY, but the guy who follows the guy after THE GUY who does it.

By then I should either be retired, very close OR pushing up daisies.
                        UNH is diversifying, trying to attract more international students. This is a natural fit.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

So, UNH has traditionally gotten Ontario kids on campus during their school breaks in February. (Leblanc, Foegele, Fregona). Any chance we might get some news the next two weeks? Or does Souza have a 1 year non-compete that has to expire?
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

So, UNH has traditionally gotten Ontario kids on campus during their school breaks in February. (Leblanc, Foegele, Fregona). Any chance we might get some news the next two weeks? Or does Souza have a 1 year non-compete that has to expire?
                            Interesting theory - and one that might explain a few things we've been observing/not observing.

Does anyone on here know whether this would be a customary practice in D-1 hockey?

If so ... it doesn't appear to be putting a crimp in Borek's activities at PC, now, does it?

I would think a non-compete for recruiting activities would be difficult to enforce, and easy enough to evade ("Hey Glenn, can you take a look at this kid, I met him and his folks last year, he could help us, Luce didn't seem interested when I mentioned him", etc.).

Didn't bomber mention that Borek was working without a contract towards the end of his time at UNH?

If so ... then UNH would really have had no leverage to force a non-compete on Borek at PC.

And with Souza having just signed an associate head coach deal at UConn, Luce could have leveraged a non-compete out of Souza as part of allowing him to break the contract for what was at least initially a lateral move.

My recollection is it took some time to hammer out Souza's deal to come back, and this might explain it?

I know there is a lot of conjecture/speculation above, but 'Watcher's initial theory really can't be dismissed out of hand, as the recruiting activity has been quiet, and Souza's name has been noticeably absent from what little activity there has been to date. Things that make you go hmmmm ...

Comment

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...ate-state-mvps

College Hockey, Inc., has listed its most valuable college hockey players based on their home states. The most valuable player from NH is an elite puck-moving #1 defenseman who plays for...St. Lawrence...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                              X