X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Dan, I hate to step on your toes here but this is about this post needs an immediate reply. Mr. 1932, I also went to just about every home game this year, as well as a half dozen or so away games. I also saw Danny Tirone play last year. And as an aside, I have also seen UNH goalies going back to Larry and Bob Smith. From the time ?Sean Matile and Ty Conklin tended goal for UNH, right through Kevin Regan, UNH had All American goalies almost every year. We no longer do. Why? Because, after Lassonde left, we didn't have an assistant who recognized the raw ability that makes a good goalie and we had no one who could teach them fine points of the position. I know I am going to get pushback from this comment, but hockey is a results oriented business and the results the past few years have not been good. Tirone relies on his athleticism to get by, nothing more. When he is the "good Danny" he may have his back to the play maybe 2 or 3 times a game. When he is the "bad Danny" we witness several more of those instances, plus the inevitable sprawling on the ice while the play continues on. You are correct, Tirone had several very good games this year, none better than the 3-2 win at Lowell. But Dan is correct. If UNH had been playing BC this past weekend, there never would have been a third game.

As for this comment "Lighten up or stop rooting for UNH as many of the posters would be better served by choosing another college hockey team." Reminds of the old bumper sticker in the '60's, "America, Love It or Leave It." 1932, I suggest you start your own thread. Maybe entitle it "UNH Hockey, Sunshine and Roses Only."
    No problem at all Greg, I'm done arguing with the enablers and - as they would be called on other boards - sunshine blowers. I deal with and post about reality. I think it is completely bogus when posters try to play the "I'm a better fan and my opinion is more valid because I attend more games card" - but despite living out of market I still made it to FIVE games this season and I watch every home and road game I can find a stream for. I watch the highlights over and over. I dive into the stats. I read every recap and analysis I can get my hands on. To sum it up, UNH hockey means way more to me than it should. I think I've earned the right to have an opinion and I think I consistently support my opinions with facts and strong evidence rather than just feelings and personal anecdotes...

As far as Tirone, he's athletic and flashy. He'll make a great save and nobody will notice the soft goal he gives up minutes later. He'll steal a game and everyone will forget the previous game where he gave up two soft goals in a 3-2 loss. Meanwhile, a goaltender like Clark simply works to get into the right position and let pucks hit him. He's boring. He makes very few highlight reel stops. As you stated, goaltending is a results based position and Tirone's results merit questions and the criticism.

Good coaches, players and goalies are consistent. Anyone can turn in an amazing performance, but can you do it most every night? UNH played great games against UML, BU and Providence down the stretch. They're DI athletes who can rise to the occasion, but over a 37 game schedule they proved to be a below average team this season.

Last season, Clark and the defense struggled early in the season. Tirone's arrival coincided with Borek taking over responsibility for the defense. Chuck makes a great point about the coaching influence - so kudos to Borek in that regard. The defense got noticeably better instantly (and not just Pesce) and played a HUGE role in Tirone's second half success. Now that Borek is gone, the defense reverted to its first half of 2014-15 form and suddenly Tirone looks more than human.

Tirone played almost the entire season, so its a small sample size for Clark & Reagan - but both outplayed him statistically. Tirone game up 16 goals in the first four games of the season. Clark came in the night after the UMass debacle and gave up four goals over the next two games - both wins (behind the same defense) - before getting hurt. Tirone returned to the crease the next weekend and gave up 12 goals against an offensively deficient MSU. Tirone was beaten 10 times against Northeastern and then four more times in half a game versus Notre Dame. Reagan replaced him in that game and gave up one goal on 20 shots, before posting a 26 save performance the next night (behind the same defense). Three of the four goals Reagan allowed were ND PP goals.

As for the excuses - I've made my points about what I think of them. I'm tired of listening to posters who think that UNH was fortunate to have the run they had and that in today's reality this is who they are. I'm tired of hearing about how UNH can't win with a facility better than 80% of those in college hockey. I'm tired of hearing about how UNH can't recruit against the big boys when they always have before. I'm tired of hearing blame heaped on the admissions office when the unreachable standard that keeps killing us is simply a second year of French class and the same academic mistakes are made over and over by the coaching staff. I'm tired of hearing about how UNH is not in Boston when schools in isolated locations all over the country are winning. I'm tired of hearing about how EIGHTEEN scholarships is not enough for them to attract enough talent (I broke it down in a previous post - if you can't build a team with 15 full scholarship kids, 6 fifty percent rides and 4 Chris Millers/Nick Nonis then you're in the wrong business).

(and yes - admissions should be figuratively dragged through the streets for what they did in the Johnny Gaudreault situation)

I'm sure many of you have noticed my signature and realize that I went to Miami (OH). Blasi turned that program into a success at the old Goggin Arena, before the new arena was any more than a dream. He did it despite the fact that he has to recruit in the shadow of Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, North Dakota, Denver, Minnesota and Wisconsin. He did it at a better academic school with higher admission standards. Have any of you ever been to Oxford? Sure its gorgeous - but you want to talk about isolated and rural?! Its half an hour from a highway of any kind! They haven't had a problem competing for top-rated recruits with anyone...

As far as supporting another team - that's not happening. Not even Miami. I love the RedHawks - and I'll prefer any other Miami team to their UNH equivalent - but I grew up literally immersed in UNH hockey. I'm not going to apologize for Watcher, Greg, myself or others having high expectations for the program. As Watcher stated earlier - whether were talking about the coaching staff, the program's support or the recruiting its time to strive for more. Right now I hear so much about settling for who we are and I hate it...

Greg, you're right - we're getting impatient with Souza, but every player they've brought in so far has been an upgrade over the players they've been brought in to replace. So while there is a lot of work to do, and much more important players to replace, I'll try to be more patient.

Catsfan1983, I'm an over the top guy - I appreciate you're understanding!

1932 - take a look at the last few days of posts and tell me if you think there is anyone who has shown themselves to be more optimistic about next season (and with the understanding that Tirone likely makes the majority of the starts!)? I apologize for my heinous opinion that he actually earn the position and play better than he did this season to do so...
    Last edited by Dan; 03-08-2016, 03:18 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      No problem at all Greg, I'm done arguing with the enablers and - as they would be called on other boards - sunshine blowers. I deal with and post about reality. I think it is completely bogus when posters try to play the "I'm a better fan and my opinion is more valid because I attend more games card" - but despite living out of market I still made it to FIVE games this season and I watch every home and road game I can find a stream for. I watch the highlights over and over. I dive into the stats. I read every recap and analysis I can get my hands on. To sum it up, UNH hockey means way more to me than it should. I think I've earned the right to have an opinion and I think I consistently support my opinions with facts and strong evidence rather than just feelings and personal anecdotes...

As far as Tirone, he's athletic and flashy. He'll make a great save and nobody will notice the soft goal he gives up minutes later. He'll steal a game and everyone will forget the previous game where he gave up two soft goals in a 3-2 loss. Meanwhile, a goaltender like Clark simply works to get into the right position and let pucks hit him. He's boring. He makes very few highlight reel stops. As you stated, goaltending is a results based position and Tirone's results merit questions and the criticism.

Good coaches, players and goalies are consistent. Anyone can turn in an amazing performance, but can you do it most every night? UNH played great games against UML, BU and Providence down the stretch. They're DI athletes who can rise to the occasion, but over a 37 game schedule they proved to be a below average team this season.

Last season, Clark and the defense struggled early in the season. Tirone's arrival coincided with Borek taking over responsibility for the defense. Chuck makes a great point about the coaching influence - so kudos to Borek in that regard. The defense got noticeably better instantly (and not just Pesce) and played a HUGE role in Tirone's second half success. Now that Borek is gone, the defense reverted to its first half of 2014-15 form and suddenly Tirone looks more than human.

Tirone played almost the entire season, so its a small sample size for Clark & Reagan - but both outplayed him statistically. Tirone game up 16 goals in the first four games of the season. Clark came in the night after the UMass debacle and gave up four goals over the next two games - both wins (behind the same defense) - before getting hurt. Tirone returned to the crease the next weekend and gave up 12 goals against an offensively deficient MSU. Tirone was beaten 10 times against Northeastern and then four more times in half a game versus Notre Dame. Reagan replaced him in that game and gave up one goal on 20 shots, before posting a 26 save performance the next night (behind the same defense). Three of the four goals Reagan allowed were ND PP goals.

As for the excuses - I've made my points about what I think of them. I'm tired of listening to posters who think that UNH was fortunate to have the run they had and that in today's reality this is who they are. I'm tired of hearing about how UNH can't win with a facility better than 80% of those in college hockey. I'm tired of hearing about how UNH can't recruit against the big boys when they always have before. I'm tired of hearing blame heaped on the admissions office when the unreachable standard that keeps killing us is simply a second year of French class and the same academic mistakes are made over and over by the coaching staff. I'm tired of hearing about how UNH is not in Boston when schools in isolated locations all over the country are winning. I'm tired of hearing about how EIGHTEEN scholarships is not enough for them to attract enough talent (I broke it down in a previous post - if you can't build a team with 15 full scholarship kids, 6 fifty percent rides and 4 Chris Millers/Nick Nonis then you're in the wrong business).

(and yes - admissions should be figuratively dragged through the streets for what they did in the Johnny Gaudreault situation)

I'm sure many of you have noticed my signature and realize that I went to Miami (OH). Blasi turned that program into a success at the old Goggin Arena, before the new arena was any more than a dream. He did it despite the fact that he has to recruit in the shadow of Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, North Dakota, Denver, Minnesota and Wisconsin. He did it at a better academic school with higher admission standards. Have any of you ever been to Oxford? Sure its gorgeous - but you want to talk about isolated and rural?! Its half an hour from a highway of any kind! They haven't had a problem competing for top-rated recruits with anyone...

As far as supporting another team - that's not happening. Not even Miami. I love the RedHawks - and I'll prefer any other Miami team to their UNH equivalent - but I grew up literally immersed in UNH hockey. I'm not going to apologize for Watcher, Greg, myself or others having high expectations for the program. As Watcher stated earlier - whether were talking about the coaching staff, the program's support or the recruiting its time to strive for more. Right now I hear so much about settling for who we are and I hate it...

Greg, you're right - we're getting impatient with Souza, but every player they've brought in so far has been an upgrade over the players they've been brought in to replace. So while there is a lot of work to do, and much more important players to replace, I'll try to be more patient.

Catsfan1983, I'm an over the top guy - I appreciate you're understanding!

1932 - take a look at the last few days of posts and tell me if you think there is anyone who has shown themselves to be more optimistic about next season (and with the understanding that Tirone likely makes the majority of the starts!)? I apologize for my heinous opinion that he actually earn the position and play better than he did this season to do so...
      "Have any of you ever been to Oxford?" I have. A friend of mine and I went out there a few years ago (more than a few, Goumas was a freshman) to see UNH play Miami. Great town if you're a student (maybe not so much if you're an adult). It was a beautiful weekend, in the 80's, we played golf at the course situated in the state park nearby. And UNH split.

I could go on for another half hour about why UNH has fallen to where they are now. But I will tell you it has nothing to do with the arena, the location, or the school itself. UNH was competing at a national level from the mid-70's into the early 80's while playing at Snively. After the Kullen years, when they recruited successfully for a program coached by a guy who was on his death bed, they again bounced back while still playing in the old barn with the crappy locker room and the rudimentary weight room across the street. No excuses back then. The excuses I see now on this board are coming from somewhere, most likely from the former associate head coach, who has decided that his own failings take a back seat to the alleged failings of the school he was working for.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
        I like seeing all the posts of who we should sign but there are only so many full scholarships and almost all Canadians require four years.
        Problem solved.

Originally posted by CatsFan1983 View Post
        Eiserman isn't going anywhere. And you can rest easy, Pots has told the staff he is going to be staying for his JR. year as he needs to develop more physically and is going to try to graduate in three years if possible.
        Ouch. Hope the staff didn't believe him, or at least made contingency plans.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-08-2016, 05:42 PM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

I'm sure Borek will get the UMass job this time after he shows off his stellar resume and explains how Dick left him out to dry at UNH. So Makar likely sticks with Umass...

In all honesty, I'd be surprised if they even pick up the phone in a situation like this. They never have before.
          Word is the're going younger, so it aint Borek

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Ouch. Hope the staff didn't believe him, or at least made contingency plans.
            From what I know he pretty much had decided to stay a third year, then started wavering on staying within the last 2-4 weeks.

Comment

UNH had All American goalies almost every year. We no longer do. Why? Because, after Lassonde left, we didn't have an assistant who recognized the raw ability that makes a good goalie and we had no one who could teach them fine points of the position. I know I am going to get pushback from this comment, but hockey is a results oriented business and the results the past few years have not been good.
              This statement shows that you know not of what you speak! DL knew talent and I"m sure he probably was a positive for the goalies. But knowing talent and bringing that talent to Durham are 2 very different things. And then there's bringing that All American to Durham with a BU/BC type arrangement is still another. This is contrary to the truth! This is pure fiction!

Comment

• Originally posted by CatsFan1983 View Post
                From what I know he pretty much had decided to stay a third year, then started wavering on staying within the last 2-4 weeks.
                So he decided to stay before he decided to leave. Thanks for clarifying...

Comment

Originally posted by CatsFan1983 View Post
                  A rough couple of weeks + $150,000 signing bonus + good contract + chance to live a dream = hard to say no

oh well.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    A rough couple of weeks + $150,000 signing bonus + good contract + chance to live a dream = hard to say no

oh well.
                    And, the realization that the HEA refs were going to allow an open season of slashing, cross checks, and head shots to him next season. Easy decision to bolt, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      And, the realization that the HEA refs were going to allow an open season of slashing, cross checks, and head shots to him next season. Easy decision to bolt, if you ask me.
                      Yes, of course, because they play soft hockey in the AHL, and even softer hockey in the 'Coast.

Snively, surely you know better than that.

I will say this ... I said some pretty unflattering things about our now-departed Hobey nominee after watching his performance Friday night in the latter stages of Game 2 at Merrimack. Afterwards, I heard from two very credible sources (one from this board, another closer to the program) that he was carrying an injury, and trying to gut it out. So I thought, kudos to him, and we can expect him to bulk up and play a real "big boys' game" next season. Then less than 48 hours later, he is off on a tryout contract with Carolina. Not to cast any doubt on what my sources told me, which I do believe was/is true BTW - but gosh, that kid sure is a quick healer.

I'll revert to my original assessment - his head was clearly elsewhere down the stretch, he showed zero leadership on the ice, got pushed around way too easily, and I'm not surprised to see him go. Honestly ... UNH won three (3) games with him eating up a ton of ice time since the calendar turned to 2016. Did he post Hobey numbers or put forth Hobey performances since January? No and no. Talk about your Central Casting UNH forward - big numbers early, disappearing when the going gets tougher after the Winter break. Now he's off to "chase the dream" ... good luck with the Checkers, but until you grow a pair, it's more likely you're going to be spending quality time with Agosta down with the Everblades, as opposed to with Pesce up at the parent club.

He'll be missed, but I'm not sure he'll be missed as much as some on here seem to think. JMHO.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I do not get to a lot of AHL and NHL games, but from the few that I have seen in person (old Monarchs in Manchvegas) and much more on TV (NHL), the role of enforcers is still a consideration by those prone to hacking and slashing the other team's youngsters. I think that Pots will be fine on the big club, as he is a much better skater and passer than was Trevor Smith, and almost as good as JvR, who also left after two years. From the UNH games that I saw this season, all three on our top line were getting hacked, slashed, and taking far more head shots during the second half of the season than during the first half, which was apparently ok with the refs, and I think a large part of the reason that their productivity dropped off the last couple of months. Anyway, why hang around for a third season and risk a career-ending injury when there is money on the table? TvR almost lost his chance for moving up by getting seriously injured during a third year, as did Pesce.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Yes, of course, because they play soft hockey in the AHL, and even softer hockey in the 'Coast.

Snively, surely you know better than that.

I will say this ... I said some pretty unflattering things about our now-departed Hobey nominee after watching his performance Friday night in the latter stages of Game 2 at Merrimack. Afterwards, I heard from two very credible sources (one from this board, another closer to the program) that he was carrying an injury, and trying to gut it out. So I thought, kudos to him, and we can expect him to bulk up and play a real "big boys' game" next season. Then less than 48 hours later, he is off on a tryout contract with Carolina. Not to cast any doubt on what my sources told me, which I do believe was/is true BTW - but gosh, that kid sure is a quick healer.

I'll revert to my original assessment - his head was clearly elsewhere down the stretch, he showed zero leadership on the ice, got pushed around way too easily, and I'm not surprised to see him go. Honestly ... UNH won three (3) games with him eating up a ton of ice time since the calendar turned to 2016. Did he post Hobey numbers or put forth Hobey performances since January? No and no. Talk about your Central Casting UNH forward - big numbers early, disappearing when the going gets tougher after the Winter break. Now he's off to "chase the dream" ... good luck with the Checkers, but until you grow a pair, it's more likely you're going to be spending quality time with Agosta down with the Everblades, as opposed to with Pesce up at the parent club.

He'll be missed, but I'm not sure he'll be missed as much as some on here seem to think. JMHO.
                          If you had two sources you trust tell you he was hampered by an injury and still believe them, than why has your opinion changed so abruptly? Is it that hard to believe the injury limited his play but wasn't enough to keep him from playing. And if that's the case, isn't that leadership? Why should he come back for another year to rehab a nagging injury when he's proven a mastery of the NCAA game. If he's healthy enough to play for UNH, I'm sure he's healthy enough to go to Charlotte and play 10-15 games with the Checkers. Its not as if he's going to get cut during his ATO and he has all summer to rehab for training camp.

You think the physical attention he received is just hockey and Snively thinks it was over the line - regardless of the reality he definitely was the center of opponents attention the second half of the season. Who cares what you call the attention, you can't deny that it was there. Being chased around consistently by double teams and bodied up at every opportunity is going to hinder anyone's numbers. Perhaps if there was ANYONE besides Poturalski and Kelleher on the UNH roster to spread this attention around their numbers wouldn't have slipped? And no matter what was said here on the boards, Poturalski never backed down from the physical attention.

He made a mockery of college hockey early in the year before team's had a real scout on UNH. Once the second half of the season rolled around it was clear that if you defend Poturalski and Kelleher you beat UNH. Its easy to shut down a scorer when he's all a team has. Defend the top line, spend the rest of the game in UNH's end. And despite all that he was still a PPG guy in the second half...

Just watch the video ref posted below - he's head and shoulders above most of college hockey in terms of skill level. The Notre Dame highlight at 3:00 was a dance through to future NHL defensemen and a future NHL goalie. He wasn't going to be challenged by coming back. He's ready for the next level, where he'll also have even more opportunity to hit the gym and get bigger.

I know you don't like early departures, but Poturalski will only see the ECHL if he's rehabbing an injury. I have no doubt he's a top-six guy in the AHL as soon as next year and he's likely an NHLer in the future - his worst case scenario is a STAR in Europe making a lot of money. If you want to be frustrated with someone, be frustrated with the coaching staff who deferred him a year and cost us three seasons of watching him play...

He's already 22, he just got paid a lot of money (more than enough to finish the one year of college he apparently has left), is joining a team that offers him a great opportunity in a rebuilding/young organization and he's not getting any better repeating this level next year. Its a huge bummer to lose him and UNH's 2015-16 hopes take a huge hit - but the guy crushed it this year and is the only reason we weren't dead last in HE or finished with more than 3-4 wins total. Can you really blame him for taking this step in his life/career, its not like he's passing on coming back to chase a ring. Coming back would be an injury risk. Its just his time to go...
                          Last edited by Dan; 03-08-2016, 09:06 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            I do not get to a lot of AHL and NHL games, but from the few that I have seen in person (old Monarchs in Manchvegas) and much more on TV (NHL), the role of enforcers is still a consideration by those prone to hacking and slashing the other team's youngsters. I think that Pots will be fine on the big club, as he is a much better skater and passer than was Trevor Smith, and almost as good as JvR, who also left after two years. From the UNH games that I saw this season, all three on our top line were getting hacked, slashed, and taking far more head shots during the second half of the season than during the first half, which was apparently ok with the refs, and I think a large part of the reason that their productivity dropped off the last couple of months. Anyway, why hang around for a third season and risk a career-ending injury when there is money on the table? TvR almost lost his chance for moving up by getting seriously injured during a third year, as did Pesce.
                            You're treading dangerously close to SMT territory there, Snively. It's not like our guys are the only ones subjected to physical play down the stretch. It's a huge deficiency in Poturalski's game, and while he has skill and decent speed, he lacks the solid frame of guys like TvR and Pesce to play "big boys' hockey" in the show. Haydar was a superior D-1 player to Poturalski, and while he set scoring records in the AHL, no one cares because he never passed the test at the next level.

Maybe Poturalski makes it, maybe he doesn't ... Carolina isn't exactly an NHL powerhouse, but to be honest I'm puzzled as to why when an NHL coach of a rebuilding franchise with lots of potential opportunities at the parent club level is in the house to watch your game, you (as an undrafted FA) play scared, like you're protecting your investment, and going through the motions in what was arguably one of the biggest games of your (short) D-1 career? Just sayin' ...

Comment

If you had two sources you trust tell you he was hampered by an injury and still believe them, than why has your opinion changed so abruptly? Is it that hard to believe the injury limited his play but wasn't enough to keep him from playing. And if that's the case, isn't that leadership? Why should he come back for another year to rehab a nagging injury when he's proven a mastery of the NCAA game. If he's healthy enough to play for UNH, I'm sure he's healthy enough to go to Charlotte and play 10-15 games with the Checkers. Its not as if he's going to get cut during his ATO and he has all summer to rehab for training camp.
                              My opinion on how poorly he played (unfocused and uncommitted) is probably posted for posterity earlier in this thread from after Friday's game. I backed off a little after getting some info, which made it sound like he was likely going to need a (minor) procedure after the season was done. But that runs counter to signing to play the rest of the season elsewhere. Knowing what we all know now, I don't think I need to draw a picture to explain the conclusions that's led me to.

You've mentioned a couple of times in your post about "mastery". I didn't see mastery at any point in 2016.

You think the physical attention he received is just hockey and Snively thinks it was over the line - regardless of the reality he definitely was the center of opponents attention the second half of the season. Being chased around consistently by double teams and bodied up at every opportunity is going to hinder anyone's numbers. Perhaps if there was ANYONE besides Poturalski and Kelleher on the UNH roster to spread this attention around their numbers wouldn't have slipped? And no matter what was said here on the boards, Poturalski never backed down from the physical attention.
                              OK we will have to disagree on that last bit then. My lasting memory of AP this season was him getting punked right after the faceoff at the beginning of the PK that ended Friday night's game. Basically ... no mas.

He made a mockery of college hockey early in the year before team's had a real scout on UNH. Once the second half of the season rolled around it was clear that if you defend Poturalski and Kelleher you beat UNH. Its easy to shut down a scorer when he's all a team has. Defend the top line, spend the rest of the game in UNH's end. And despite all that he was still a PPG guy in the second half...
                              Mockery, mastery, hyperbole. So you're saying he snuck up on the league, but once the league knew he couldn't hit the curveball, he went from being a "master" to being just another good player. Answer me this honestly - do you think the Poturalski we saw in 2016 was worthy of a Hobey nomination? I know I don't.

Just watch the video ref posted below - he's head and shoulders above most of college hockey in terms of skill level. He wasn't going to be challenged by coming back. He's ready for the next level, where he'll also have even more opportunity to hit the gym and get bigger.
                              And he will need that opportunity, make no mistake. As far as video highlight reels, those are always nice, but it's the guys who work hard consistently (even when the camera might not be on them), play a complete game AND have top skill who impress me. One out of three doesn't quite qualify as "mastery" to me, Dan. But that's just me.

I know you don't like early departures, but Poturalski will only see the ECHL if he's rehabbing an injury. I have no doubt he's a top-six guy in the AHL as soon as next year and he's likely an NHLer in the future - his worst case scenario is a STAR in Europe making a lot of money. If you want to be frustrated with someone, be frustrated with the coaching staff who deferred him a year and cost us three seasons of watching him play...
                              Understand your last point, and don't disagree. But unless he stops being a one-dimensional floater, no NHL coach is going to allow him near a top-six NHL slot, and he simply doesn't have the guts to be a bottom-six guy, unless he lands on a team that can afford to carry a one-dimensional guy to bolster their second PP unit. And if he doesn't put in the work, AHL coaches will give him 2-3 years tops to do so, and then if he still hasn't gotten the message, it'll be off to the 'Coast with the likes of Joey Diamond, or to Europe, as you've suggested.

He's already 22, he just got paid a lot of money (more than enough to finish the one year of college he apparently has left), is joining a team that offers him a great opportunity in a rebuilding/young organization and he's not getting any better repeating this level next year. Its a huge bummer to lose him and UNH's 2015-16 hopes take a huge hit - but the guy crushed it early this year before everyone figured out how to stop him and is the only reason we weren't dead last in HE or finished with more than 3-4 wins total. Can you really blame him for taking this step in his life/career, its not like he's passing on coming back to chase a ring. Coming back would be an injury risk. Its just his time to go...
                              Tidied up an early part of your post. Oh ... and if you haven't noticed, playing hockey is an injury risk.

I knew we'd disagree, Dan. Let's just say I'm not nearly as despondent as some/most on here about the news.

Comment

I am not at all despondent, as I think that the young forwards along with TyK can benefit by more balanced scoring across three lines. Opposing teams will not be able to focus on beating up our top line, as I observed in games that I attended the second half. It was not just Pots who was getting g cross-checked in the face off circle, of all places, at UML, as Correale nearly had his head taken off high in the slot during the closing minutes of that game. The blueline still is a big concern, in my mind. Goal tending should be fine, as long as all three get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X