Minnesota @ Ohio State: 2/12 & 2/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota @ Ohio State: 2/12 & 2/13

Minnesota travels to Ohio State to take on the Buckeyes this Friday and Saturday. Friday puck drop is at 5:30pm and is on the BTN, Saturday is at 6pm and is listed as TBD.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota @ Ohio State: 2/12 & 2/13

What are the chances of anyone picking up the Saturday game?
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Gophers face another must sweep away series, while Mich. plays Wis. Despite their record, I thought OSU played inspired hockey against the Gophers in their earlier series losing both games in OT. They've been resurgent over the last 10 games since then avg. 3.8 goals/game while beating some very good opponents (BC, Cornell, Penn. St.). Gophers will need to work hard and play lockdown D to pull off a sweep.

Comment

Apparently nothing is certain in the conference this year.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

While it sure would be nice to sweep I doubt it matters anymore. All the eggs are in the conference tourney basket for the NCAA berth. It would be cool to hang yet another regular season banner but those in the Big 10 are worth about as much as toilet paper at this point.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Looking forward to this series. I thought the Buckeyes should have won the Friday night game for sure in Minneapolis but they couldnt finish it off. Saturday night they were lucky to even to get OT. I can see this series as a split. The Buckeyes have been much better since that first series in December. They did lose to Sparty two weeks ago but i think they learn from it and get 3 points this weekend.

Comment

Big Ten banners are as valuable as any WCHA banner regardless of conference size and team records. I think fans forget that the WCHA, which came into existence in 1951, consisted of only 7 teams for 15 years (CC, Den, Mich. MSU, MTU, MN, UND) until UMD joined in 1966. The Gophers only won 2 RS championships during that time and were an avg. .500+ team for most of it. Given the parity in college hockey, any banner earned in today's game is even more of a serious accomplishment than back in the beginning years of the WCHA.

Comment

You mean the raw materials of the banner are of equal value, right?

Look at how many national champions came out of the WCHA in those early years...

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  While it sure would be nice to sweep I doubt it matters anymore. All the eggs are in the conference tourney basket for the NCAA berth. It would be cool to hang yet another regular season banner but those in the Big 10 are worth about as much as toilet paper at this point.
                  I tend to agree with you, but then I remind myself of two things.
                  1 - I don't usually put much value in earning a slightly higher seed, but this year the #1 seed does have an easier road to the tournament title. So while I'm not too worked up about trying to win yet another Big 10 regular season title, I would like to see the guys get that #1 seed.
                  2- It is incredibly unlikely the Gophers can get an at-large bid, but...crazy **** sometimes happens. They need to win, win, win for even a chance of crazy **** helping them out.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  You mean the raw materials of the banner are of equal value, right?

Look at how many national champions came out of the WCHA in those early years...
                  Yeah, gonna have a hard time convincing anyone that a Big 10 banner is worth the same as a WCHA banner. At least in these first few years. The jury is still out on whether the Big 10 will get its **** together.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    Yeah, gonna have a hard time convincing anyone that a Big 10 banner is worth the same as a WCHA banner. At least in these first few years. The jury is still out on whether the Big 10 will get its **** together.
                    Our two regular season banners thus far are probably less impressive than any WCHA regular season banner. That's not hyperbole. This year would probably take a spot next to them.

Can't say the league will never turn it around yet, though.

Comment

I think posters here have misunderstood my post. My statement "Big Ten banners are as valuable as any WCHA banner regardless of conference size and team records" was not well written and I would not make that comparison of the Big Ten now with the WCHA in recent decades.

But in beginning years of the WCHA there were only 2-3 good teams out of the 7 (intra-conference play) and the conference was developing very similar to the Big Ten. That was my point. A Big Ten championship is not toilet paper. It's far more difficult to win a conference championship or NCAA championship today than it was in those early years for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Can't say the league will never turn it around yet, though.
                        Yeah, never is a very long time.

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        A Big Ten championship is not toilet paper.
                        This gets back to that raw materials question.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Yeah, never is a very long time.

This gets back to that raw materials question.
                          Haha...yeah, well what I look at are the extraordinary student-athletes that we have on this Gopher team. Their dedication to the sport, and the University of Minnesota under highly stressful conditions is commendable. It's a great accomplishment for any player to see all your hard work and dedication translate into a championship like a Big Ten RS title. Anyone who diminishes that accomplishment for young players like Hudson Fasching, Justin Kloos, etc. who bust their butt every week in practice and games, most likely has never skated in those skates. Perhaps we forget sometimes these are not paid professionals, they're students. My personal opinion is some Gopher posters have far too many negative attitudes and entitlement issues and have lost the simple idea of being a true fan who supports their team under all circumstances.

Comment

Perhaps we forget sometimes these are not paid professionals, they're students who want to become paid professionals.
                            fyp!

My personal opinion is some Gopher posters have far too many negative attitudes and entitlement issues and have lost the simple idea of being a true fan who supports their team under all circumstances.
                            Couldn't agree more. Look at the fans of the perennial bottom-feeders who support their teams despite losing year-after-year. Have to admire their loyalty...we in GopherLand have become a spoiled, overly critical bunch.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Yet very few of our student-athletes will see their childhood dreams fulfilled and make it to the NHL. That's what I dreamt about and that's what ever serious kid in MN playing hockey dreams about. Yet sometimes I see fans objectifying players for entertainment value only without realizing how much time and effort a student-athlete has personally invested in that dream. I know from personal experience it can be sad day when you experience the death of that dream and finally realize you're not good enough, and this is the end of the line for your hockey career. Thanks for your comments D2D.

Comment

Working...
                              X