Liberty League D-I Hockey Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberty League D-I Hockey Championship

Within the ECAC, there are six Ivy League Schools. Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell and Princeton. Each year, in addition to the ECAC Championship, they compete for the Ivy League Championship in Hockey. Four of the other teams in the ECAC compete primarily in the Liberty League in most other D-III sports. These are St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI and Union. (There are other Liberty League teams that compete in D-III hockey). Other ECAC teams like Colgate compete primarily in the Patriot League and Quinnipiac which competes primarily in the MAAC (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference). These are both D-1.

This past weekend the Liberty league D-1 hockey members all faced off for the last time this season. If we had a Liberty League D-1 Hockey Championship, who would win it this year? We would have to calculate the wins and losses by each team against the other three teams. Should we also count non-conference? What about possible playoff meetings? Do we need a trophy?
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Re: Liberty League D-I Hockey Championship

Don't forget RIT.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

"The Ivy League recognizes ice hockey champions for both sexes, but it does not sponsor the sport; it instead uses the results of regular-season ECAC Hockey matches involving two Ivy League schools to extrapolate an Ivy champion (all six Ivy League schools that sponsor varsity hockey do so for both men and women, and compete in the ECAC). The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference-sponsored D-I men's hockey, but dropped the sport in 2003."

So we could just take the regular season matchups and extrapolate a winner. How do we include RIT in this? We all need to schedule RIT as an exhibition? Move RIT into the ECAC?
      Last edited by Dutchman; 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Don't forget RIT.
        Anyone else beside RIT ?? Not really.

"As of the current 2015–16 season, the NCAA's top level has 60 teams. Twenty-one schools are Division II or III athletic programs that "play up" to Division I in hockey, and 16 schools that are full Division I members are in the Football Bowl Subdivision, 6 of which compete in the Big Ten Conference."
        Last edited by Dutchman; 02-07-2016, 01:29 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

A member conference of the NCAA’s Division III, The Liberty League has ten full members and sponsors championships in 26 sports. The member institutions of the league place the highest priority on the overall quality of the educational experience and on the successful completion of its student-athletes’ academic programs. The member institutions seek to establish and maintain an environment in which a student-athlete’s athletic activities are conducted as an integral part of the educational experience.

Originally founded as the Upstate Collegiate Athletic Association in 1995, the conference was renamed the Liberty League during the summer of 2004. The league includes founding members Clarkson University, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, the University of Rochester, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, St. Lawrence University, Skidmore College, and Union College. Vassar College became a full member of the league during the 2000-01 academic year, and Bard College and Rochester Institute of Technology joined for the 2011-12 academic year. Founding member Hamilton College departed following the 2010-11 academic year in order to fully integrate its athletic programs within the New England Small College Athletic Conference.

The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Springfield College are associate members in football only.

At the beginning of the 2012-2013 season New York University became an associate member in both men's and women's golf, while Wellesley College and Mount Holyoke College became associate members in women's golf.

It looks like just RIT
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Move RIT into the ECAC?
            Many RIT fans would delight at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
              Many RIT fans would delight at this.
              Who the heck are you going to travel partner with? And we're sure as heck not breaking that up.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Who the heck are you going to travel partner with? And we're sure as heck not breaking that up.
                The Ivy Group goes there own way.
                Quinny joins HEA
                The Empire Hockey Conference forms with
                CCT, SLU, RPI, UC, COLG, RIT, NIA, CAN
                Plays a 28 game conference schedule (2H/2A)
                And there you have it.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Doomsday Scenario.
                  The money D1 schools decide they don't want the playups, but like what the D2s have done. So the form a National Collegiate Championship for men's ice hockey - just like the women.

This leaves the D3 playups with a choice to move their entire athletic programs to D2 or play D3 in all sports. If they choose the latter the Liberty League has
                  CCT, SLU, RPI, UC, RIT, Hobart & Skidmore. 7 teams are enough for a D3 AQ.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    The Ivy Group goes there own way.
                    Quinny joins HEA
                    The Empire Hockey Conference forms with
                    CCT, SLU, RPI, UC, COLG, RIT, NIA, CAN
                    Plays a 28 game conference schedule (2H/2A)
                    And there you have it.

We don't need anymore lowly automatic qualifiers for the pairwise.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      We don't need anymore lowly automatic qualifiers for the pairwise.
                      It would draw though. Maybe even a TV contract with TWS?!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Interesting concept, but I do not think the NCAA would like to have more and smaller conferences. A six team Ivy League would be very problematic and a scheduling nightmare.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The Doomsday Scenario.
                          The money D1 schools decide they don't want the playups, but like what the D2s have done. So the form a National Collegiate Championship for men's ice hockey - just like the women.

This leaves the D3 playups with a choice to move their entire athletic programs to D2 or play D3 in all sports. If they choose the latter the Liberty League has
                          CCT, SLU, RPI, UC, RIT, Hobart & Skidmore. 7 teams are enough for a D3 AQ.
                          As I said when they wanted to eliminate scholarships for the D-III play-ups, I would rather have RPI drop hockey than move to D-III. I wonder if the Navy needs a new warehouse.

Edit: and I agree with LTsatch that overall it is beneficial to both the Ivies and non-Ivies to have a single conference.
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-08-2016, 01:47 AM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

There was a great write-up, I think it was about 4-5 years ago, written by a current or former athletic director at Yale, that talked about the great fit in the ECAC between the Ivy's and the non-ivy's because of academics and academic emphasis, long traditional rivalries, geography, shared values, notion of the "student-athlete", other synergies, etc. I think the league is even stronger and more cohesive given its recent success and the increased popularity of College Hockey.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              "The Ivy League recognizes ice hockey champions for both sexes, but it does not sponsor the sport; it instead uses the results of regular-season ECAC Hockey matches involving two Ivy League schools to extrapolate an Ivy champion (all six Ivy League schools that sponsor varsity hockey do so for both men and women, and compete in the ECAC). The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference-sponsored D-I men's hockey, but dropped the sport in 2003."

So we could just take the regular season matchups and extrapolate a winner. How do we include RIT in this? We all need to schedule RIT as an exhibition? Move RIT into the ECAC?
                              Since RIT played Clarkson and SLU in non-conference and lost both, I think we can put them last in the league.

Of the other 4 teams, by my count, I have Clarkson, SLU, and RPI with 7 points each in 6 games. Union has 3 points, so that puts them 4th. I suggest breaking the tie by points in the 4 games. Clarkson has 5 points, SLU has 4, RPI has 3.

So, I have them Clarkson, SLU, RPI, Union, RIT
                              Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                              Clarkson 1990

Comment

Working...
                              X