PDA

View Full Version : RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Ralph Baer
01-21-2016, 09:22 AM
previous thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113572-RPI-Hockey-2015-2016-Six-Flags-Over-the-HFH

Red Cloud
01-21-2016, 10:54 AM
With the strength of the ECAC this year compared to most past years, it is more likely that a second place finish would result in a bid.

Unless "likely" is the same as saying "100% sure," the initial assertion (just worry about the ECAC alone and all will be fine with the Pairwise) is false.

Ralph Baer
01-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Unless "likely" is the same as saying "100% sure," the initial assertion (just worry about the ECAC alone and all will be fine with the Pairwise) is false.

"likely" ≠ "100% sure".

ServinisScores
01-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Mike Zalweski is in Canuck lineup in Boston v. Bruins.

turk181
01-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Mike Zalweski is in Canuck lineup in Boston v. Bruins.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="de" dir="ltr">Lines in morning skate:

D.Sedin-McCann-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-Vey-Etem
Dorsett-Zalewski-Virtanen
Extras: Prust &amp; Cracknell</p>&mdash; Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) <a href="https://twitter.com/VanCanucks/status/690212369826455553">January 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turk181
01-21-2016, 01:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach Desjardins confirms Jacob Markstrom starts and both Jake Virtanen &amp; Mike Zalewski will draw into the lineup tonight in Boston.</p>&mdash; Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) <a href="https://twitter.com/VanCanucks/status/690219606972186628">January 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Cloud
01-21-2016, 01:37 PM
"likely" ≠ "100% sure".

Seems reasonable.

FlagDUDE08
01-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Since there's no "weekend thread" for the game: Are there any plans for video of the Mayor's Cup, whether on YouTube, Boob Tube (i.e. TV), or some other tube? I seem to recall RPI-TV being shut out from covering it a few years ago due to union policies (collective bargaining, not the college).

Ralph Baer
01-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Since there's no "weekend thread" for the game: Are there any plans for video of the Mayor's Cup, whether on YouTube, Boob Tube (i.e. TV), or some other tube? I seem to recall RPI-TV being shut out from covering it a few years ago due to union policies (collective bargaining, not the college).

I will start that thread after this game a little after 9 PM. :)

turk181
01-21-2016, 11:13 PM
SA’s Postgame with Bradley & Schroeder...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk21IykWV4w

fr. joe
01-22-2016, 12:50 AM
SAs Postgame with Bradley & Schroeder...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk21IykWV4w

Turk, thanks for posting this interview. Listening to the coach and players, you get a real sense of the grit and effort involved in this game and an appreciation for what the team is trying to accomplish this season. Keep it up, guys!

Ralph Baer
01-22-2016, 03:21 AM
I was looking at the box score for Zalewski's game yesterday. http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2015020693

He won 71% of his draws. We could use that.

DrDemento
01-22-2016, 07:44 AM
This QU can work both ways for us. They have to be a little upset with the fact they blew another late lead. This time a 2 goal lead and the late goal was inches from being swept away by an RPI defender. I cannot see how you can walk away from that without at least a little feeling of we lost a chance for a huge win. However, they all know they played the best team in the league, if not the country, and started out poorly but kept getting better throughout the game(regardless of the scoring). They were getting beaten to every puck early and it seemed Q was on an endless power play. The ice was certainly tilted. But we just kept getting a bit better all game long. We started to move faster, hit harder, and create a few chances and scored the first 2 goals against a team that on average does not give up 2 goals in games. This should give them even more of the feeling that they can play with anyone, and every night have the chance to win. Without arguably two of the most effective players we have, Riley and Parker, we were 9.4 seconds from most would consider a tremendous upset on the road against a Hobey Baker level goalie.
i truly hate that we have a meaningless game to play next. A game that cannot help us in the league, in the PWR, or gain us any real stature and national attention. it can , however, leave us with another injury, a lower rpi number, and give momentum to one of the teams trying to put their season back together. Here is a vote to either have this game as our first game of the season (i wish it was just an exhibition game) or cancel the darn thin altogether. I am sure they can come up with some other way to play a weekend that matters more and means something (hint-having an RPI Invitational tournament with 4 teams over two days like we did for 60 years might make a lot more sense). JMHO

FlagDUDE08
01-22-2016, 07:52 AM
One sign of improvement certainly is that we didn't fully lose this one, unlike games in the past. A road half-win against the top RatingsPI team will help our RatingsPI, as both both RatingsPI and QWB will be weighed accordingly. We're probably not going to be able to flip the script on a comparison as RatingsPI is too heavy of a factor with the TUC cliff gone. However, if we continue to play hard and get results against our other opponents, as much as there are many factors we can't control, we can do what we can to strengthen our position.

vicious
01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
This QU can work both ways for us. They have to be a little upset with the fact they blew another late lead. This time a 2 goal lead and the late goal was inches from being swept away by an RPI defender. I cannot see how you can walk away from that without at least a little feeling of we lost a chance for a huge win. However, they all know they played the best team in the league, if not the country, and started out poorly but kept getting better throughout the game(regardless of the scoring). They were getting beaten to every puck early and it seemed Q was on an endless power play. The ice was certainly tilted. But we just kept getting a bit better all game long. We started to move faster, hit harder, and create a few chances and scored the first 2 goals against a team that on average does not give up 2 goals in games. This should give them even more of the feeling that they can play with anyone, and every night have the chance to win. Without arguably two of the most effective players we have, Riley and Parker, we were 9.4 seconds from most would consider a tremendous upset on the road against a Hobey Baker level goalie.
i truly hate that we have a meaningless game to play next. A game that cannot help us in the league, in the PWR, or gain us any real stature and national attention. it can , however, leave us with another injury, a lower rpi number, and give momentum to one of the teams trying to put their season back together. Here is a vote to either have this game as our first game of the season (i wish it was just an exhibition game) or cancel the darn thin altogether. I am sure they can come up with some other way to play a weekend that matters more and means something (hint-having an RPI Invitational tournament with 4 teams over two days like we did for 60 years might make a lot more sense). JMHO

Kasdorf's save percentage over the last three games (QU, Colgate, Cornell) is .956. Good thing he's playing some of the best hockey of his career right now, because superhuman goaltending is keeping us in these games.

MarkEagleUSA
01-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Kasdorf's save percentage over the last three games (QU, Colgate, Cornell) is .956. Good thing he's playing some of the best hockey of his career right now, because superhuman goaltending is keeping us in these games.I agree, without him and the post, last night could have been ugly for you guys. He was certainly the difference.

DrDemento
01-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Kasdorf's save percentage over the last three games (QU, Colgate, Cornell) is .956. Good thing he's playing some of the best hockey of his career right now, because superhuman goaltending is keeping us in these games.
I have followed RPI hockey for over 50 years. I never felt that statistics alone tell the story about a goaltender. We have fellows win many more games,have fewer losses, etc. But you always have to take into account the team playing in front of him and especially the defensemen. i will stick to and defend my previous statement made weeks ago. He is the total package and the best goaltender I have seen at RPI. He exerts a control over the game and often slows the tempo at crucial times for us. He knows when to try to freeze the puck and buy us time. is he the best puckhandler? is he the best at roaming behind the net to stop pucks from swinging around? Do all the rebounds he gives up head in the right direction? No to all three. But of everyone I have seen here, if I was to pick the guy that i want in goal for me against anyone, on any given night, for the most important game, I pick Jason. What you just posted as his save percentage just adds to my feelings.

Ralph Baer
01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
NCAA Silver Anniversary Award interview with Joe Juneau https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivqdz58btA8&index=6&list=PLwVCvwAmTFQLTCCwbJIhhAngNcRzvyD8F.

vicious
01-22-2016, 11:47 AM
I have followed RPI hockey for over 50 years. I never felt that statistics alone tell the story about a goaltender. We have fellows win many more games,have fewer losses, etc. But you always have to take into account the team playing in front of him and especially the defensemen. i will stick to and defend my previous statement made weeks ago. He is the total package and the best goaltender I have seen at RPI. He exerts a control over the game and often slows the tempo at crucial times for us. He knows when to try to freeze the puck and buy us time. is he the best puckhandler? is he the best at roaming behind the net to stop pucks from swinging around? Do all the rebounds he gives up head in the right direction? No to all three. But of everyone I have seen here, if I was to pick the guy that i want in goal for me against anyone, on any given night, for the most important game, I pick Jason. What you just posted as his save percentage just adds to my feelings.

I go back to the Ian Harrison days and I'm with you here. Kasdorf plays with a ton of poise and confidence no matter what the opponent or situation (he looked terrific all game last night). He's a big game goalie. As Schroeder said in the paper, he gives the team a lot of confidence. There is no doubt about that. My point was more that he's winning games that a lot of other goalies would lose and is keeping this team in the hunt in late January. QU threw everything they had at him, including pulling Garteig on the late third period PP to give a full two minute 6 x 4 and he still gave his team a chance to win. I think the quality of his play has helped offset the impact of the injuries and sparse offense. Otherwise 2nd place would be well out of reach. I also think it means we need him to keep it up.

Red Cloud
01-22-2016, 01:26 PM

This is crap.