WCHA playoff preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA playoff preview

With a little over a month left in the WCHA league games, any predictions on who will land where for the playoffs? Looking over the schedule it looks like the Division championship will be decided on the last weekend when the Badgers visit the Gophers in Minneapolis. The Gophers will certainly need a sweep to over take the Badgers. After watching the Badgers four times this year I do not see them losing again.............for the rest of the year. Looks like the Beavers and The Fighting Hawks will battle for three and four, although it may be difficult for the Beavers to leap frog the Hawks. The Beavers will need to steal at least on against the Gophers on the weekend of 1/29 if they hope to move up. My thoughts are St. Cloud holds the fifth spot and may even get to the fourth seed if the Beavers do not take care of business with the four teams below them. St. Cloud is arguably the most improved team in the league from last year. Unfortunately it looks like Minn State and Ohio St. get to take on the top two powerhouses in the first round. I bet that is something to look forward too! Should be a fun finish!

Re: WCHA playoff preview

I'm going a bit from memory but I believe BSU has a bit easier schedule than SCSU (feel free to correct me, I don't feel like checking, it may be close) so I think unless UND slips things end like they are today. The only upset I could see as possible in the first round would be SCSU over BSU as I don't see the bottom 3 beating anyone when it matters. That would leave MN/UND and WI/BSU (I would bet SCSU does not pull the upset even though it could happen). which heavily favors yet another MN/WI battle for the championship. Since I am already on record as saying this is WIs year I guess I have to pick them and just hope I am wrong (there is a very good reason I never bet any of the netminder money on the netminders predictions!)
    Last edited by ne7minder; 01-20-2016, 04:10 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Ne7minder you are correct the BSU has an easier schedule, however I still think they have their work cut out for them to get to the three seed. St. Cloud is my dark horse. They have had some nice wins and seem to be trending up. With your Wisconsin prediction the only thing I see changing that is if Minnesota gets some sort of old superstar out from retirement. Hey, wait a minute.............? Just saying.

Comment

Where is the championship -- highest remaining seed?
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Where is the championship -- highest remaining seed?
          No, the WCHA always predetermines its site. After Bemidji two years ago and Grand Forks last year, it will be back at Ridder this year.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
            Ne7minder you are correct the BSU has an easier schedule, however I still think they have their work cut out for them to get to the three seed. St. Cloud is my dark horse. They have had some nice wins and seem to be trending up. With your Wisconsin prediction the only thing I see changing that is if Minnesota gets some sort of old superstar out from retirement. Hey, wait a minute.............? Just saying.
            Well, BSU and SCSU do have to play each other so that would be the Huskies chance to catch up, I don't believe BSU can pass UND but they play each other also. I do like the way the schedule is laid out this year, it seems like everyone still has to play the whole league so things get settled on the ice with the whole years work built in. If I had any loose netminder money sitting around I would bet that we will see a #8 on the bench on Feb 20 but not on the ice for more than a senior night shift, if at all. But as stated there is a reason I never bet. As much as I would love to see her on the ice again (even for team USA, just to see her play) I don't want her to risk her brain for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              No, the WCHA always predetermines its site. After Bemidji two years ago and Grand Forks last year, it will be back at Ridder this year.
              Ha... well then, I would find it difficult to pick against the Gophers at Ridder.
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Ha... well then, I would find it difficult to pick against the Gophers at Ridder.
                Shannon Miller is about the only person who thought home ice mattered much in this tournament. Wisconsin has won the WCHA at Ridder more times than Minnesota has.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  I don't believe BSU can pass UND but they play each other also.
                  BSU is done playing UND and Wisconsin. They have to go to Duluth, St. Cloud and Mankato, while they get to host Minnesota and Ohio State.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    BSU is done playing UND and Wisconsin. They have to go to Duluth, St. Cloud and Mankato, while they get to host Minnesota and Ohio State.
                    Thanks, I was going from memory which is always a mistake. Maybe it was just my hoping BSU did as it would increase the odds of them passing UND - from memory I believe they have a tie a a couple of wins and a loss. I was up in Bemedji for the SO 'loss'. Hopefully MN & WI can help you out.
                    Last edited by ne7minder; 01-21-2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Shannon Miller is about the only person who thought home ice mattered much in this tournament. Wisconsin has won the WCHA at Ridder more times than Minnesota has.
                      there is a difference between home ice and home team, right now WI would be the home team, while MN would be playing on home ice

advantage WI

Comment

Big weekend for a few teams regarding playoff positions and the dreaded #7 & #8 seeds. UMD hosts Ohio State in a huge series. If either team is fortunate to sweep the other they will put some distance between them and have a solid grasp on the 6th seed. I am sure both teams are looking at this series knowing that with the 6th seed they have a chance at a first round playoff win. The loser likely gets to chase around their opponent for two days while they look forward to spring break. UMD gets the advantage IMO. Their top line is talented and they are at home. In other meaningful series, ND must sweep to keep (and potentially pass) Bemidji for the third seed. Bemidji must steal one against the Gophers to keep the F' Hawks off their back and to convince the national media they deserve to be a top 8 team in the NCAA tournament. Should be a fun weekend.

Comment

Down to the last week of the season. What one may have thought would have been a great series to determine first is only "practice" for the playoffs. Wisconsin has clinched the WCHA championship and are now just playing for bragging rights. The Gophers still have something to prove and want to gain momentum for the playoffs. Bemidji and ND have the other two home play off series wrapped up. The only series that may have some implications on playoff seeding is the UMD/Saint Cloud series. UMD will need a sweep to move to fifth. I do not anticipate this happening and it appears seedings may be set.

Comment

Working...
                          X