X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: 1/22 & 1/23

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I don't like that hit.

Every time one of those happens, there are some around here that proclaim that it's a good hit and it was a good hit back in the day when they played, etc, etc, etc.

Times have changed and with all we now know about head contact, the sport should adapt.

I'd be okay if those open ice blow up hits were legislated out of the game completely. Doesn't really matter whether the head is targeted with the hit or not as often the most damaging aspect of the play is when the victim's head slams off the ice. That can (and does) happen even when the check is otherwise "legal."

In the end, there's really no hockey reason to hit a player that hard in open ice. Separating the man from the puck doesn't require that amount of force. It's excessive and only seeks to satisfy the bloodlust of the most meatheaded fans. When a player doesn't see you coming, a poke check or even a bump will work 90% (or more) of the time.

There's no reason that a college kid (or high school on down) should have to spend a week in a dark room or risk a more severe brain injury so that some morons in the stands can get their fix. It's simply a bad play no matter how "cool" it looks or how it was legal back in the day.

These are actual humans out there and somebody's kid with real lives and real futures.

My solution? Institute a targeting penalty (5 plus game DQ) similar to targeting a defenseless football receiver. Essentially if you skate into a guy in open ice from his blindside and destroy him, you're gone.

Okay, cue the "you're pussifying the game rabble" or the referees can't make that decision in real time crowd.

Yes they can and the simple threat of those consequences would most likely eliminate the hits altogether.
    Well said.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Nice post (#194) Gurt.

I saw game bits and pieces; replays only. Crap teams usually always goon-it-up since they can't compete. I love the big, aggressive hit as much as the next guy, but I hate goonin'-it-up. If that's what we're becoming, then ****-can Eaves mid season. Bad enough to get your *** kicked by your best rival, then this. If you 2 or 3 Eaves apologists don't get it, you should now.

I'll guarantee after this *** whoopin', a bunch of those 13,000 on their way home, were wondering why they went and they won't come back.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Dam it, now there are TWO rational BADger fans? What next,BADger fans understanding hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          Dam it, now there are TWO rational BADger fans? What next,BADger fans understanding hockey?
          goldy, my cake-eating friend, you're using rodent math, there are at least 20 on this board alone.

I'll get beat up for this but; WI and MN should be ranked in the top 10 nationally on an annual basis. The North Dakota Little Chicken Hawks are. BC, BU Denver and others are annual, why can't we? Back in the day (get off my lawn), if we weren't and the goofs were, I was ****ing miserable at games. I HATED you guys. Now, I can't hate somebody who's not top 20 kicking the **** out of my team who is probably in the bottom 5 in the country.

* Sorry for the rant; I'm beyond ****ed and now the Cardinals are losing to the Panthers. J.F.C., what a weekend; at least the Broncos won.*
          Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

You know that Saturday night game was a disaster for the Badger faithful when Buckys 5th Quarter isn't even running a game story to sugar coat it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              goldy, my cake-eating friend, you're using rodent math, there are at least 20 on this board alone.

I'll get beat up for this but; WI and MN should be ranked in the top 10 nationally on an annual basis. The North Dakota Little Chicken Hawks are. BC, BU Denver and others are annual, why can't we? Back in the day (get off my lawn), if we weren't and the goofs were, I was ****ing miserable at games. I HATED you guys. Now, I can't hate somebody who's not top 20 kicking the **** out of my team who is probably in the bottom 5 in the country.

* Sorry for the rant; I'm beyond ****ed and now the Cardinals are losing to the Panthers. J.F.C., what a weekend; at least the Broncos won.*
              The current problem with WI hockey is simple, they hired a coach with no MN roots.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

MCR, Gurt and so many others are spot on. There's no place for cheap hits in a game that's already plenty physical.

I've always loved skating teams and I don't think Wisconsin has had any team speed since 1993-1994. Skating and stick-handling are the name of the game, imo. Put em out on Olympic sized sheets and drop the puck.

Also, I agree with MCR, the Badgers and gophers should be perennial top 10 teams
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

As a neutral observer, i have watched witthcow hit a few times. I agree with gurt that i don't like seeing hits like that. At the same time, i think he tried hitting him in chest and that's where primary/initial contact was. To gurts point, there's a seek and destroy element to checking when it doesn't have to be that way. But i don't think there was malice here.

Comment

There is malice there. This is the second time this POS has headhunted a skater in maroon and gold. He's a repeat offender.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      There is malice there
                      Well that's your opinion. You certainly know more about the player and his history etc. I'm just going off what i see with this hit. I slowed it down and paused it. Some hits are to the head only, some are indirect contact where initial contact is elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                        There was another CFB by a badger that was called a boarding instead, but it was a classic CFB. Eaves after all these calls acts like he has to take a big steamer with his facial expressions(pretty entertaining) and can't believe that the refs would call these on his poor innocent team. Maybe he doesn't understand the rule book.

doosh
                        The incident involved Soleway in the corner on Bristedt. Hitting from behind on the numbers pushing the player head first into the boards is a clear CFB and that's exactly what Soleway did. Not a fan of Jedd Soleway, and IMO based upon what I've seen of him in the past is a dirty player and Eaves does very little about it.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        There is malice there. This is the second time this POS has headhunted a skater in maroon and gold. He's a repeat offender.
                        I agree with you. The 5 min. penalty was ruled a "hit to the head". I've also watched the video in slow motion several times, and at the initial point of contact Novak's head immediately reels back (not his chest as one poster has suggested). This is a classic case of a targeted hit to the head. There's no doubt in my mind he'll sit two games for the hit.

Comment

Um a head can reel back as a result of contact to the chest. I paused it and see clear contact to chest but he also got him in the head. Some hits are just to the head, some aren't. That's all i'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Um a head can reel back as a result of contact to the chest. I paused it and see clear contact to chest but he also got him in the head. Some hits are just to the head, some aren't. That's all i'm saying.
                            Totally disagree, initial contact was in the neck/head region not the chest. It's a targeted hit to the head and the Big Ten will most likely slap another game on the DQ as a malicious hit to the head. We will see.

Comment

https://mobile.***********/cjzero/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

22 second mark is what i am referring to. I just think calling it direct, intentional head contact isn't accurate here. But we disagree

Comment

And again, not saying i think it was a clean hit. It wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X