Ohio State vs St. Cloud State 1/15 - 1/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs St. Cloud State 1/15 - 1/16

After getting swept at Minneapolis last weekend, Ohio State returns home to face St. Cloud. Ohio State currently sets in 7th place in the WCHA with 9 points. The Huskies are in 5th place with 21 points. St. Cloud swept Ohio State in St. Cloud earlier this season by scores of 3-2 and 4-1. It's been a tough first season for Coach Jenny Potter and the Buckeyes, but they have improved over the course of the season as the girls have adjusted to new systems and tough practices. And, as has almost always been the case with the Buckeyes, they will play hard and not give up until the whistle blows. Friday's game is a 7:00 start and Saturday's game starts at 4:00. There is a teddy bear toss at Saturday's game and those teddy bears will be donated to the local Ronald McDonald House. St. Cloud fans, let us know your thoughts on your season so far. For those coming down, have a safe trip. And as I always say, hopefully we have an injury-free series this weekend.

Re: Ohio State vs St. Cloud State 1/15 - 1/16

Big weekend. If we aspire to move up in the standings, winning this series is pretty much a must. Just as importantly, these games will serve as a good measuring stick of our progress to date.

Go Bucks!

Comment

Yeah, unlike the series at St. Cloud last fall, I expect us to get points this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        It's been a tough first season for Coach Jenny Potter and the Buckeyes, but they have improved over the course of the season
        ??

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
          ??
          If you are just checking the box scores, you come to that conclusion. If you have actually seen the team play, they have improved. Sometimes it's tough to see the progress when we're playing teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin four times a season. It's just my opinion based on the games I have gone to (almost every home game and one road trip to Lindenwood). You may not think the team has improved. We can agree to disagree on that. There is always a process when a new coach comes in and the kids have to learn new systems, adjust to different practice drills, or tougher practices, etc..

Comment

If you are just checking the box scores, you come to that conclusion. If you have actually seen the team play, they have improved. Sometimes it's tough to see the progress when we're playing teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin four times a season. It's just my opinion based on the games I have gone to (almost every home game and one road trip to Lindenwood). You may not think the team has improved. We can agree to disagree on that. There is always a process when a new coach comes in and the kids have to learn new systems, adjust to different practice drills, or tougher practices, etc..
            I have watched most WCHA teams play this season along with your Buckeyes. I would agree that the team has improved and there is a lot of positive with the team. Having said that, there are definite gaps to be addressed and very inconsistent play at times which one could say is typical of a young team. Next year will be a better measuring stick for the Buckeyes as they move into year 2 under JP. New recruits and injured players returning will definitely help. I can see where the comment on the team improving could raise some eyebrows.....the good signs are there however.

Comment

If you are just checking the box scores, you come to that conclusion. If you have actually seen the team play, they have improved.
              If you ignore box scores, a lot of teams don't seem that bad. Going into this season, I didn't see Ohio State battling Merrimack for most goals against.

Comment

If you ignore box scores, a lot of teams don't seem that bad.
                Meaning what? If you see the players perform in person, it's tough be harsh; but if you look only at the numbers it's easier to throw bricks? There's probably some truth to that, but I'm not really sure how that insight advances the conversation.

Going into this season, I didn't see Ohio State battling Merrimack for most goals against.
                The players on both teams are undoubtedly unhappy with this year's results, and that certainly includes Goals Against. But you don't have to dig very deeply to see that these teams have different issues.

Most of OSU's glaring GA total stems from Weeks 2 & 3, when we suffered 4 straight blowout losses to MN & WI. Yes, Sunday's game was a "relapse," with MN once again the opposition. But otherwise, the Buckeyes have been competitive, including last Saturday's game against MN.

In contrast, Merrimack has been giving up 4-6 goals a game, pretty much regardless of opposition. It's one thing to struggle against likely Frozen Four teams; another to struggle across the board.

Big Picture: No one's in denial here. No one's satisfied with 7th Place. As others have pointed out, we need some injured players back, and we need a strong incoming recruiting class. But watching the Buckeyes perform in person, I'm certainly not seeing a bad team that's doomed to failure, game in and game out.

Not that I'm hanging that label on Merrimack or anyone else. You know what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                  I have watched most WCHA teams play this season along with your Buckeyes. I would agree that the team has improved and there is a lot of positive with the team. Having said that, there are definite gaps to be addressed and very inconsistent play at times which one could say is typical of a young team. Next year will be a better measuring stick for the Buckeyes as they move into year 2 under JP. New recruits and injured players returning will definitely help. I can see where the comment on the team improving could raise some eyebrows.....the good signs are there however.
                  I think this is a fair and accurate assessment of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Meaning what? If you see the players perform in person, it's tough be harsh; but if you look only at the numbers it's easier to throw bricks? There's probably some truth to that, but I'm not really sure how that insight advances the conversation.

The players on both teams are undoubtedly unhappy with this year's results, and that certainly includes Goals Against. But you don't have to dig very deeply to see that these teams have different issues.

Most of OSU's glaring GA total stems from Weeks 2 & 3, when we suffered 4 straight blowout losses to MN & WI. Yes, Sunday's game was a "relapse," with MN once again the opposition. But otherwise, the Buckeyes have been competitive, including last Saturday's game against MN.

In contrast, Merrimack has been giving up 4-6 goals a game, pretty much regardless of opposition. It's one thing to struggle against likely Frozen Four teams; another to struggle across the board.

Big Picture: No one's in denial here. No one's satisfied with 7th Place. As others have pointed out, we need some injured players back, and we need a strong incoming recruiting class. But watching the Buckeyes perform in person, I'm certainly not seeing a bad team that's doomed to failure, game in and game out.

Not that I'm hanging that label on Merrimack or anyone else. You know what I mean...
                    Thank you for adding some clarity to what I was trying to say concerning our team.
                    Last edited by osualum86; 01-13-2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

If you ignore box scores, a lot of teams don't seem that bad. Going into this season, I didn't see Ohio State battling Merrimack for most goals against.
                      No one is ignoring box scores around here, and my original statement, which you quoted, indicated that it has been a tough season. I just choose to see the positive strides that have been made and not focus on the negatives. That doesn't mean I am ignoring areas that need work.

Comment

lose your goalie to injury, lose significantly to graduation at the blueline, lose your prized recruit

in contrast SCSU has an experienced blueline and a goalie with some impressive games behind her

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          lose your goalie to injury, lose significantly to graduation at the blueline, lose your prized recruit
                          Unfortunately for us OSU Women's Hockey fans, this has certainly contributed to how the season has played out so far. Kassidy Sauve will not be back until next season, we may not get Jincy Dunne this season, and we lost three defensemen from last season to graduation.

Comment

St. Cloud took game one of this series earlier tonight by a final score of 2-1. The Huskies' goals were scored by Hannah Potrykus and Julia Tylke. Julia McKinnon scored Ohio State's lone goal. Ohio State outshot St. Cloud 25-20 and was 4/4 on the penalty kill, but it wasn't enough. St. Cloud goaltender Katie Fitzgerald was outstanding tonight, stopping 24 of the Buckeyes' 25 shots. Buckeye backstop Alex LaMere stopped 18 of the 20 shots she faced. The two teams will be back at it tomorrow with the puck dropping at 4:07 pm EST.

Comment

For further details, see the Three Stars on the WCHA thread.

BTW, be sure to come at 4:00PM Sharp on Saturday. If it's anything like the Friday game, you won't want to miss a minute of it. Or seven.

Comment

Working...
                              X