Minnesota hosts Michigan State: 1/15 & 1/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota hosts Michigan State: 1/15 & 1/16

Minnesota takes on Michigan State this Friday and Saturday night at Mariucci Arena. Friday night puck drop is at 8PM and is televised on FSN Plus, it's streamed on BTN2Go\FoxGo. Saturday night puck drop is at 7:30PM, televised on BTN and streamed on BTN2Go.

Minnesota split this past weekend at Penn State, losing 3-2 in OT Friday then winning 7-1 Saturday afternoon. Michigan State was swept in a home and home series with Michigan, 9-2 and 6-3.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota hosts Michigan State: 1/15 & 1/16

This should be a Gopher sweep at home against a Michigan St team that is, by all accounts, pretty bad.

That said, it took the Gophers two overtime games to sweep a tOSU team with a pretty similar overall record to Michigan St earlier in the year and that was also at home. I expect two close games.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Split on the road, sweep at home. Makes perfect sense so far.

Comment

You are welcome in advance for the six points, and we all thank you for your contribution in our quest for a new coaching staff.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          You are welcome in advance for the six points, and we all thank you for your contribution in our quest for a new coaching staff.
          This^^

Honestly the only thing MSU fans can hope for now is that MSU starts losing every game 9-2 and that forces our AD to make a change.

Comment

Well if you haven't heard the Gophers are down quite a bit this year also. I just hope that the results this weekend isn't what ends up saving them their jobs. Yes the Gophers have been playing better as of late, but given their relative youth and inexperience they have the capability of morphing into a different team right on the heels of a 7-1 win.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              This should be a Gopher sweep at home against a Michigan St team that is, by all accounts, pretty bad.

That said, it took the Gophers two overtime games to sweep a tOSU team with a pretty similar overall record to Michigan St earlier in the year and that was also at home. I expect two close games.
              And I would edit that by saying OSU is much better than advertised...having just beat BC on the road as well as another top 10 team by more than 5 goals. Having said that, it appears MSU is just as advertised. Hopefully, the Gophers aren't worse than advertised.
              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                This^^

Honestly the only thing MSU fans can hope for now is that MSU starts losing every game 9-2 and that forces our AD to make a change.
                We did our part....
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Well if you haven't heard the Gophers are down quite a bit this year also. I just hope that the results this weekend isn't what ends up saving them their jobs. Yes the Gophers have been playing better as of late, but given their relative youth and inexperience they have the capability of morphing into a different team right on the heels of a 7-1 win.
                  Chris Dilks is picking MN to win the B1G regular season and make the NCAAs
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Chris Dilks is picking MN to win the B1G regular season and make the NCAAs
                    Bold.

I think this team could be among the top 14 or 15 in the country by March, but I'm not sure they can make up enough ground to earn an at-large bid. Which means they'll need the conference auto-bid. With the tourney in St. Paul I suppose that gives them a leg up, but even so wresting your fate by the conference tournament is always a bit of a dice roll.

This Gopher team is better than a lot of people are giving them credit for, I'm just not sure they are good enough (or able to improve quickly enough) to dig themselves out of the hole they are in. Especially with so many games against such low RPI teams.
                    Last edited by Stauber1; 01-11-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

If the Gophers move past their Hekyl and Jekyl tendencies I like their chances, but they've rarely made thins easy this season.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        We did our part....
                        And we tthank you for that. Wow........first time I thanked a Wolverine.......strange days.

Comment

Given MSU did so well in the Big Ten last season and some of those players returned, the Spartans slump is a surprise to me. I'm curious to know your opinion on what the main issues are with the coaching staff and the team? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                            Given MSU did so well in the Big Ten last season and some of those players returned, the Spartans slump is a surprise to me. I'm curious to know your opinion on what the main issues are with the coaching staff and the team? Thanks.
                            In part due to slim defense. So bad we had to have try outs from the club team to help fill out the last spot. Lost our best defenseman Jacobs to the OHL when he decided he didn't wanna play school no more (and more just didn't like Anastos).

This was fine in the early part of the year, especially because the offense was performing so well. Then the defense started getting fatigued and it's been downhill. If we try to be conservative to help the defense, we can't score. If we try to play to the strength of the team (offense this year, strange for an Anastos team) we get exposed on D.

Hildy hasn't been as good this year, most likely from fatigue of carrying the team the last two years.

But most of all, I think the team is just sick of the same ol' thing. Things were on an upswing going into the Tech series. We had swept UNH, nearly beat BC on the road putting up 4 on their goalie who had had three or four shutouts in a row or something, and then they blew two two goal 3rd period
                            leads leading to a tie and OT loss. Followed that up getting trounced by NoDak and PSU and it killed everything.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

From an outsiders perspective, it seems to me Hildebrand not matching his outstanding play of last year has really killed MSU. When you have a goaltender who you know is going to keep you in games, it makes things so much easier for everyone else.

I'm not saying his play is the problem, just that it seemed to me that his play last year allowed the team to smooth over some problems that aren't being smoothed over this year. When your netminder is playing well and earning you ties and wins it carries over from game to game. When that isn't happening as much, and you start dropping game after game, it gets easier for a coach to lose that "buy-in" from his players. Once it's lost, it's **** hard to get back.

Hopefully they don't make a push to get it back this weekend....kick 'em while they're down

Comment

Working...
                              X