Michigan vs Michigan State 1/8-1/9: The Weekend Without the Trophy Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan vs Michigan State 1/8-1/9: The Weekend Without the Trophy Game

State comes in on a 1-12-1 dumpster fire tour tied for 54th in the Pairwise with Army, a spot behind newcomer Arizona State.

Michigan comes in on a 6-1-2 run, GLI title in hand, and an offense scoring 4.35 goals a game. The defense they'll be facing is 45th in the nation with 3.2 GAA.

Currently three corners of Munn are empty for Friday's game. On the other hand, it's being televised on ESPNews, which nobody watches. Less people to see the massacre. So we got that going for us, which is nice.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: Michigan vs Michigan State 1/8-1/9: The Weekend Without the Trophy Game

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    State comes in on a 1-12-1 dumpster fire tour tied for 54th in the Pairwise with Army, a spot behind newcomer Arizona State.

Michigan comes in on a 6-1-2 run, GLI title in hand, and an offense scoring 4.35 goals a game. The defense they'll be facing is 45th in the nation with 3.2 GAA.

Currently three corners of Munn are empty for Friday's game. On the other hand, it's being televised on ESPNews, which nobody watches. Less people to see the massacre. So we got that going for us, which is nice.
    If I'm there, I won't be seen. Since I'll be there, I'm thinking of a Gong Show act that became a regular ...

Comment

In the 25 years I've been watching Michigan Hockey, only a handful of UM-MSU games were really dominant from one side of the ice.

Do you really expect that it will be that bad? I just don't see that- it's a game where the players do more than normal games. Jake may have his best game of the year, and pitch a shutout- which would mean a 1-0 win for MSU at least.

On the other hand, IF the 4 games turn into a blow out, the thread about your coach *might* be applicable. I still don't see that.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        In the 25 years I've been watching Michigan Hockey, only a handful of UM-MSU games were really dominant from one side of the ice.

Do you really expect that it will be that bad? I just don't see that- it's a game where the players do more than normal games. Jake may have his best game of the year, and pitch a shutout- which would mean a 1-0 win for MSU at least.

On the other hand, IF the 4 games turn into a blow out, the thread about your coach *might* be applicable. I still don't see that.
        Yeah, it's going to be that bad. I will admit the effort gets turned up. But with Hildebrand being left all alone most of the time by his teammates, I see another game such as the B10 Semi-final last season. um will skate all over MSU. MSU has 10 goals scored in the last 7 games. It's going to be like the Alamo at Munn, And the Little Big Horn at Yost.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
          Yeah, it's going to be that bad. I will admit the effort gets turned up. But with Hildebrand being left all alone most of the time by his teammates, I see another game such as the B10 Semi-final last season. um will skate all over MSU. MSU has 10 goals scored in the last 7 games. It's going to be like the Alamo at Munn, And the Little Big Horn at Yost.
          C'mon guys, its not like you are playing Alabama (-Huntsville.)

All kidding aside, these have typically been close games. If there is any pride left in that locker room it will come out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            C'mon guys, its not like you are playing Alabama (-Huntsville.)

All kidding aside, these have typically been close games. If there is any pride left in that locker room it will come out this weekend.
            Low blow, but I like it!
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I admit that I haven't watched sparty that much this year but if history is any indication (and it normally is) sparty will be up for these games. I don't have the exact stat available but aren't the vast majority of games between the two settled within one-goal (like 96%)?
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I think that's only when State wins. The last two seasons I remember losses against you guys of 7-1, 5-2, 4-1, and 4-1. I think our only non-1 goal win was 3-0 in the GLI.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Eh, I think it'll be close.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    I think that's only when State wins. The last two seasons I remember losses against you guys of 7-1, 5-2, 4-1, and 4-1. I think our only non-1 goal win was 3-0 in the GLI.
                    Indeed.

In 2008-09, not only did MSU lose all five to U-M (including GLI game), they were all 2-plus goal differentials:
                    6-1 and 5-3 (Early December)
                    5-1 (GLI game)
                    6-2 and 5-3 (January).

This is starting to feel like 2008-09, with a little higher talent level, way less injuries, and no club team loaners.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                      Low blow, but I like it!
                      No, if anything the Spartan hockey fans on the site are pretty reasonable people and understand a little good natured joisting here and there. The gnashing of teeth on the part of the Munn faithful has been humorous, though.

The football and basketball programs are solid so there is nothing there to make them wrinkle their nose. That's how it should be, comfortable with their programs and the results, even though the Bama thing indicated a talent gap that some in Spartan Nation didn't see or want to admit after beating Michigan, OSU and Iowa. But, I digress.

The Big Ten needs the Spartan hockey program to be better in order to make the entire six teams more viable for an at-large. That would be my only hope that MSU becomes competitive again. They have decent pieces this season, showed some spark, but I stated early on that the difficult n/c schedule may suck the life out of them. It has, IMO. It was admirable to take on Maine, UNH, BC, Denver, UND, etc. Just the same, this team will beat any team that just throws their sticks on the ice or are overconfident. I spend little time worrying about them as much as how Michigan will come out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        No, if anything the Spartan hockey fans on the site are pretty reasonable people and understand a little good natured joisting here and there. The gnashing of teeth on the part of the Munn faithful has been humorous, though.

The football and basketball programs are solid so there is nothing there to make them wrinkle their nose. That's how it should be, comfortable with their programs and the results, even though the Bama thing indicated a talent gap that some in Spartan Nation didn't see or want to admit after beating Michigan, OSU and Iowa. But, I digress.

The Big Ten needs the Spartan hockey program to be better in order to make the entire six teams more viable for an at-large. That would be my only hope that MSU becomes competitive again. They have decent pieces this season, showed some spark, but I stated early on that the difficult n/c schedule may suck the life out of them. It has, IMO. It was admirable to take on Maine, UNH, BC, Denver, UND, etc. Just the same, this team will beat any team that just throws their sticks on the ice or are overconfident. I spend little time worrying about them as much as how Michigan will come out this weekend.
                        I pretty much agree with you. I am also concerned about this weekend, not like we were playing a North Dakota, BC, or Denver though. I'm concerned because sparty seemingly only gets motivated to play us. With as bad as their season has been so far, sweeping us (or even slpitting) would almost save their season.

As for their football team, yes it was a good season however you must also take into account the enormous amount of luck that played a role in it. The kick-six against us, fluke. The intercept7ion against Iowa off of an Iowa players back, flukish. ohio state definitely looking head to Michigan the following week (and I could swear ohio state had a playbook consisting of 3 plays for that entire game), can't call it a fluke but fortunate for sure. Then there is only beating Purdue by three, playing Oregon with a QB who had a broken index-finger on his throwing-hand and winning by only three, etc. And after Iowa got Molly-whoped in the Rose Bowl by Stanford that win comes into question.

bouncy-ball is bouncy-ball, we'll leave it at that.

I'm not going into this weekend over-confident, it's sparty. They'll show up.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          I pretty much agree with you. I am also concerned about this weekend, not like we were playing a North Dakota, BC, or Denver though. I'm concerned because sparty seemingly only gets motivated to play us. With as bad as their season has been so far, sweeping us (or even slpitting) would almost save their season.

As for their football team, yes it was a good season however you must also take into account the enormous amount of luck that played a role in it. The kick-six against us, fluke. The intercept7ion against Iowa off of an Iowa players back, flukish. ohio state definitely looking head to Michigan the following week (and I could swear ohio state had a playbook consisting of 3 plays for that entire game), can't call it a fluke but fortunate for sure. Then there is only beating Purdue by three, playing Oregon with a QB who had a broken index-finger on his throwing-hand and winning by only three, etc. And after Iowa got Molly-whoped in the Rose Bowl by Stanford that win comes into question.

bouncy-ball is bouncy-ball, we'll leave it at that.

I'm not going into this weekend over-confident, it's sparty. They'll show up.
                          I just watched the Anastos presser, He said that he (paraphrasing) hopes the confidence level gets better.
                          Oh yeah, we'll show up. Probably even lace up the skates and go onto the ice. End result will be like the B10 Semi-final last season. Hildebrand will have to stop 45 shots just to lose 4-1. Everything with this program now is about hope. Hope the puck goes into the goal. Hope they get no bad bounces. Hope the stick doesn't break. Hope the bus doesn't get a flat. Hope there is enough juice at the training table. It seems that tCHHCoMSU can do nothing but hope.

Comment

I'll gladly take luck each year if it means a playoff berth. Every team has luck, MSU is just more direct with their capitalization of it. Alabama isn't in the playoffs if Arkansas doesn't convert a 4th and 25 in OT.

Good chance for a double Final Four year. Unfortunately, hockey is stopping a chance at the triple crown.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

tCHHCoMSU
                              Excuse me? I'm not familiar with that acronym. the College Hockey Head Coach of MSU?

Comment

Working...
                              X