ASU's 2016 Desert Classic w/ Special Guests Michigan Tech, U-Conn & Yale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASU's 2016 Desert Classic w/ Special Guests Michigan Tech, U-Conn & Yale

Three D-I teams head to Arizona next weekend to join host ASU in bringing D-I hockey back to the desert SW for the first time since Northern Arizona Univ was a D-I program in the 1980s. College hockey Friday and Sunday with a chance to see NHL All-Star overall leading vote-getter, and MTU alum, John Scott in action with the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday. Should be a fun weekend with a chance to mix it up with fans of some rare opponents.

I'm sure ASU wants to win their first D-I "home" games, but the tourney is pretty much a must win weekend for Michigan Tech to keep their NCAA tourney hopes alive after a split with MSU and Michigan at the GLI tourney this past week.

Who else is making the trip?

Ryan J

Might have to pull out this vintage gem for the trip...
    NAU #14 - Greg Adams circa 1982-84

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: ASU's 2016 Desert Classic w/ Special Guests Michigan Tech, U-Conn & Yale

Take a gander at just how few tickets have been sold for this tourney, and, here we are less than 24 hours before it starts.

Friday's games:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/desert-h...004F0792BF1D06

Saturday's games:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/desert-h...004F0792B81CC1

Tickets are not being sold in the upper level of the arena at all nor in sections 116, 117, & 118.

It looks like they have maybe sold 1,000 to 2,000 tickets for each day. In an arena that seats 17,125 for hockey.

Take look at the ticket prices, too. Wow. Starting at 30 bucks?

Yep, a ton of pent up demand down there for NCAA hockey. Maybe they'll have a great walk-up, or something.

There are some real yucks in this interview with ASU's Athletic Director, loaded with hyperbole:

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...r-arena-010716

I applaud what they are trying to do down there, but I question if there is any real demand for it.

They probably would have been better off playing this deal in their own matchbox of an arena. At least the atmosphere would be better.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 01-07-2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

It's the first year. JFC, give it some time.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I wouldn't shocked if Scott pops in on at least one of our games - the Coyotes start a 7-game home stretch tomorrow, and he was at the annual alumni event in Houghton this past summer, palling around with a lot of ordinary locals and alums from his era.

Comment

Don't underestimate the Yalies. they are the favorite in this tournament.
          And it is not warm in Phoenix. it's tough to play golf when it's 45. I'm sure it'll be warmer inside the rink.
          i'm not a fan of the late start time tonight though.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Unfortunately to watch the Yale game on TV or online you have to be a PAC12 network subscriber. there is no option to purchase the feed. The early UConn game has no option to watch. Hopefully the organizers can offer something in the future, especially considering with the remote location from three of the participating schools. There is audio online at least.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Don't underestimate the Yalies. they are the favorite in this tournament.
              And it is not warm in Phoenix. it's tough to play golf when it's 45. I'm sure it'll be warmer inside the rink.
              Don't underestimate UConn either, they have been known to steal a game or two.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                Unfortunately to watch the Yale game on TV or online you have to be a PAC12 network subscriber. there is no option to purchase the feed. The early UConn game has no option to watch. Hopefully the organizers can offer something in the future, especially considering with the remote location from three of the participating schools. There is audio online at least.
                And, the PAC 12 Network is not available at all on Direct TV. Word is, it may by next football season, though.

Comment

excited to be at the inaugural tournament. long may ASU hockey live.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    excited to be at the inaugural tournament.
                    I'll be more excited to WIN the inaugural tourney and get two non-conference wins.
                    :-)
                    Ryan
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

from the grapevine - U of A will be adding Division I hockey. perhaps this will open up the rest of the west. league re organization, anyone?
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

5k attendance for ASU's first D1 home game in an arena that seats 17k? That's a bummer.

At least hockey in the desert has given the hockey world Auston Matthews...

Comment

it's tough to play golf when it's 45. I'm sure it'll be warmer inside the rink.
                          It was freezing inside the rink

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog10jw View Post
                            It was freezing inside the rink
                            Uh no , it wasn't. It was typical for a rink though.
                            And the 5000 attendance must have included about 2000 free tickets asu gave out. Half of the rest were from Tech.
                            The only UConn or Yale fans were the parents.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Uh no , it wasn't. It was typical for a rink though.
                              And the 5000 attendance must have included about 2000 free tickets asu gave out. Half of the rest were from Tech.
                              The only UConn or Yale fans were the parents.
                              Typical for an outdoor rink back east, maybe.
                              Is it also typical for play to be stopped 3 or 4 times a period to clean the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X