Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2015-16 thread part 2-move along! nothing to see here! all is well!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I would have to think it's a little harder to throw a hockey game than other sports. What do you guys think?
    Are there actually persons who bet on college hockey games? Is there a sufficient number of them to create a market?

More to the point, is this a story that will interest Mary Carmichael?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      As serious as all of this sounds, it could be as simple as Roberto and others played daily fantasy on fanduel or draftkings. Pretty sure the NCAA considers those sites gambling.
      What would that have to do though with the AG office busting the 30-odd guys last month that appears to be attached to this?

Maybe now that it's "public" hoky can tell us (since he knows).
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        Yeah, it doesn't sound like BU did anything wrong here. It sounds like Quinn informed the right people right away and they sat him out until they got a decision by the NCAA.

As for the players who did the gambling, it is stupid because they know it's against the rules, but come on ... it's not really that bad from a moral standpoint.
        No, it's bad

If you get deep enough in the hole people can pressure you.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Re: Boston University 2015-16 thread part 2-move along! nothing to see here! all is w

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          Are there actually persons who bet on college hockey games? Is there a sufficient number of them to create a market?

I bet on college hockey games! Legally, in Las Vegas. But there are some people who do it.

Comment

Re: Boston University 2015-16 thread part 2-move along! nothing to see here! all is w

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            No, it's bad

Yes, the bookie angle is bad...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
              She's not a journalist (no need to use quotation marks) anymore but it would be cool if she still was.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                "Very damaging to BU"

OK jeff!
                Did he really tweet that? That guy is on a roll lately. He tweeted that the Greer story was "Another drawn up Q media stunt" even though the source of that news came from the front page of the QMJHL team's site & RDS. It wasn't like it came from a CHL blog or fansite like the Eichel rumors did.
                Last edited by Middle Street; 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

No, it's bad

The CHN story did say that some college kids incurred "large" debts. That would be a very big concern. Never want to see a kid on the injury report listed as "two broken legs (bookie)".
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Yes, the bookie angle is bad...
                    Sure, it's not good and he deserves his suspension. The point is, rumor mongers over the weekend were positing things that were in another realm of bad from this - point shaving and throwing the national championship game. Instead, we have a kid who made a bad decision, BU reported it promptly, took action the NCAA seems to have agreed with, and no law enforcement agency is investigating him. Generally in these bookie ring busts they don't pay a lot of mind to low-level bettors unless they're in for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. They want the guys running the ring.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Sure, it's not good and he deserves his suspension. The point is, rumor mongers over the weekend were positing things that were in another realm of bad from this - point shaving and throwing the national championship game. Instead, we have a kid who made a bad decision, BU reported it promptly, took action the NCAA seems to have agreed with, and no law enforcement agency is investigating him. Generally in these bookie ring busts they don't pay a lot of mind to low-level bettors unless they're in for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. They want the guys running the ring.
                      Not going to argue with that...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                        Did he really tweet that? That guy is on a roll this week. He tweeted that the Greer story was "Another drawn up Q media stunt" even though the source of that news came from the front page of the QMJHL team's site & RDS. It wasn't like it came from a CHL blog or fansite like the Eichel rumors did.
                        Yep, also tweeted that the actual story was "not far off" from the "sensational rumors." Apparently a kid betting on some NFL games is "not far off" from a kid betting against his own team's national championship then trying to throw the game. Utter nonsense.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

just read the story. unless more comes out:

1. Stupid on Roberto's part but I'm not gonna hammer a college kid for gambling, especially when it had nothing to do with his own games
                          2. I find nothing in the story to be very damaging to BU. no hint of a cover up, etc
                          3. I find nothing in the story to be very damaging to college hockey

A college kid got caught up in gambling on some pro football (or whatever it was). Big freakin deal. As an NCAA athlete, he should know better. So he's naive/dumb. I would love to hammer BU for this but there's nothing there.

Comment

At the end of the day, I have two categories with these things. Someone else got hurt/no one else got hurt. Unless more of the story gets out, we're in the latter category right now. Wake me up when BU kids start getting arrested again.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              Yeah, that's what I mean when I say it's really not that bad. I think a year-long suspension for betting on games that are not NCAA or even NHL hockey is a little strict, but it sounds like there isn't going to be any further fall out from this so whatever, that's fine.

Comment

No, it's bad

Absolutely. It's one of those slippery slope things. I think he should be shown the door(he's an average player anyway) but it sounds like Quinn isn't going to do that.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X