PDA

View Full Version : 2016 World Junior Championship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

andrewtim
12-27-2015, 08:59 AM
look at the rest of the team draft level and you wonder why Donatos there
definitely didn't think this level of coaches would cave with so much prestige on the line

Team USA camp roster (as of 19 Dec.)

Goaltenders:
Brandon Halverson, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
Alex Nedeljkovic, Flint Firebirds (OHL)

Defencemen:
Louie Belpedio, Miami University (NCHC)
Will Borgen, St. Cloud State University (NCHC)
Brandon Carlo, Ti-City Americans (WHL)
Ryan Collins, University of Minnesota (Big Ten)
Brandon Fortunato, Boston University (HEA)
Chad Krys, U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)
Charlie McAvoy, Boston University (HEA)
Zach Werenski, University of Michigan (Big Ten)

Forwards:
Anders Bjork, University of Notre Dame (HEA)
Brock Boeser, University of North Dakota (NCHC)
Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL)
Ryan Donato, Harvard University (ECAC Hockey)
Christian Dvorak, London Knights (OHL)
Scott Eansor, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
Ryan Hitchcock, Yale University (ECAC Hockey)
Clayton Keller, U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)
Auston Matthews, ZSC Lions Zurich (SUI)
Ryan MacInnis, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Sonny Milano, Lake Erie Monsters (AHL)
Nick Schmaltz, University of North Dakota (NCHC)
Matthew Tkachuk, London Knights (OHL)
Colin White, Boston College (HEA)

Head Coach:
Ron Wilson

The 27-player U.S. preliminary roster was trimmed with forward Kieffer Bellows (Edina, Minn./U.S. National Under-18 Team), defenseman Casey Fitzgerald (North Reading, Mass./Boston College); and goaltender Tyler Parsons (Chesterfield, Mich./London Knights) being released.

LTsatch
12-27-2015, 09:06 AM
From other discussions I have read about the DeBrincat incident. The IIHF has the power to review and suspend in this instance. Most others in that discussion did not think this incident would rise to the suspension level. also players from Denmark and Switzerland have been suspended for actions in yesterdays play. The Swiss player was assessed a three gamer for a hit to the head. The Dane a one gamer for a hit from behind.

bothman
12-27-2015, 09:24 AM
look at the rest of the team draft level and you wonder why Donatos there
definitely didn't think this level of coaches would cave with so much prestige on the line

LOSER alert!

LTsatch
12-27-2015, 10:25 AM
just watching the end of the Belarus / Slovakia game. Belarus down 3-2 with a minute left and on a 6 on 4 power play. Slovakia steals the puck and while on the way to a clear game icing empty netter, the Belarus goalie bolts of the bench to try and prevent the game clinching shot and also creating a 7 on 4 situation. Not only did the goalie not prevent the goal, he managed to injure himself in the process. Crazy.

FlagDUDE08
12-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Slovakia gets an ENG via the obvious and imminent rule from the Belarus goalie creating too many men to try to stop the goal, and ends up getting injured in the process. Looks like Belarus will be in the Bo3 matches next year, unless the Czechs trip up (which they probably won't).

In a couple hours is the game effectively determining who goes to the relegation matches: Switzerland v. Denmark. Unless our wildest dreams of Canada getting to the relegation matches comes true. :eek::p

FlagDUDE08
12-27-2015, 10:27 AM
just watching the end of the Belarus / Slovakia game. Belarus down 3-2 with a minute left and on a 6 on 4 power play. Slovakia steals the puck and while on the way to a clear game icing empty netter, the Belarus goalie bolts of the bench to try and prevent the game clinching shot and also creating a 7 on 4 situation. Not only did the goalie not prevent the goal, he managed to injure himself in the process. Crazy.

Penalty was over by then, but that was just wacky.

Is nhl.com actually going to cover all the games this time, or just the US ones and I need to find a "less than reputable site" to watch the rest?

LTsatch
12-27-2015, 12:08 PM
They are covering most of the games live, but some will be shown on tape delay. Broadcast schedule is on page one of this thread, tape delay games have a * next to the listing.

joecct
12-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Anyone else notice all the Canadian company board advertising?

Can't find a Tim Hortons, though.

FlagDUDE08
12-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Tim Hortons closed most of the locations around here. :mad: Maybe it's on the other side.

I'm not surprised they'd have all the ads, considering they put the most into this tournament, hence why they host every other year.

LTsatch
12-27-2015, 02:05 PM

They certainly do travel well, the overwhelming amount of Canadian fans at the USA/Canada game proved that.

FlagDUDE08
12-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Denmark with two unanswered in the third essentially makes the quarterfinals.

defkit
12-27-2015, 05:24 PM
not to be a debbie downer here, but mookie has seen this movie before :(

I was thinking the same thing, but then heard that this was the first win over Canada in the round robin since 1998? I know in 2010 it looked like we were going to beat them in the round robin, but they came back to win. But we won the one that really counted a few nights later.

bothman
12-27-2015, 05:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but then heard that this was the first win over Canada in the round robin since 1998? I know in 2010 it looked like we were going to beat them in the round robin, but they came back to win. But we won the one that really counted a few nights later.

Plus, that was one of the lesser Canadian performances I have seen in some time. We might see a different goalie, but other than that, let's also remember that this is a young Canadian team.

CLS
12-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Tim Hortons closed most of the locations around here. :mad: Maybe it's on the other side.

I'm not surprised they'd have all the ads, considering they put the most into this tournament, hence why they host every other year.

Hate to say it, but it looks to me like Canada is the only country that can provide decent crowds. Looked like therewere a lot of empty seats for US-Canada and a mostly empty arena for Denmark-Switzerland.

joecct
12-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Hate to say it, but it looks to me like Canada is the only country that can provide decent crowds. Looked like therewere a lot of empty seats for US-Canada and a mostly empty arena for Denmark-Switzerland.

Which is why USA Hockey awarded the 2018 WJHC to Buffalo and not St. Louis or Tampa. The Pegulas just have to remember to double the beer allotment and to install portable pottys.

FlagDUDE08
12-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Which is why USA Hockey awarded the 2018 WJHC to Buffalo and not St. Louis or Tampa. The Pegulas just have to remember to double the beer allotment and to install portable pottys.

There was plenty enough beer when I went in 2011 and booed whenever Emerson Etem touched the puck. Of course, having club seats was really nice.

D2D
12-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Hate to say it, but it looks to me like Canada is the only country that can provide decent crowds.
Didn't Grand Forks draw pretty well when they had it there? Of course that's pretty close to Canada also...

joecct
12-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Didn't Grand Forks draw pretty well when they had it there? Of course that's pretty close to Canada also...

And the Canadians drank the place dry the first night.

Jimjamesak
12-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Anchorage did pretty well... in 1989.

icehawk
12-28-2015, 09:30 AM
17 shots on the USA powerplay and nothing to show for it. Story of the game so far. 1-0 Sweden after 2. Shots 39-17 USA.