PDA

View Full Version : 2016 World Junior Championship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28

defkit
01-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Nice to see them be able to bring home a medal.

FlagDUDE08
01-05-2016, 10:30 AM
And will have Russia/Finland loser, Canada, Slovakia, and Latvia in their group next year.
The other group will be Russia/Finland winner, Sweden, Czech Republic, Denmark, Switzerland

If Russia ends up winning, that's going to be one killer of a group. :eek:

Shirtless Guy
01-05-2016, 10:40 AM
If Russia ends up winning, that's going to be one killer of a group. :eek:

With the new format, I'd prefer the US be in the more difficult group every time.

joecct
01-05-2016, 10:47 AM
So USA will be based in Toronto with the medal rounds in Montreal.

Wonder if the NHLNetwork crew will stay in the studio or travel to the rink(s)?

pinch
01-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Anyone know any guys on Russia?...yet

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 12:34 PM
So USA will be based in Toronto with the medal rounds in Montreal.

Wonder if the NHLNetwork crew will stay in the studio or travel to the rink(s)?

Is that for sure? That really stinks...I was hoping to get to some US preliminary games in Montreal next year.

Agganis
01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Is that for sure? That really stinks...I was hoping to get to some US preliminary games in Montreal next year.

Yes, everyone in Canada's group (including the US) will play all preliminary games in Toronto.

Does anyone know when the schedule of games and dates is expected to be released?

joecct
01-05-2016, 01:23 PM

There may be USAH exhibitions in your area.

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 01:35 PM
There may be USAH exhibitions in your area.

Burlington would be cool.

SJHovey
01-05-2016, 01:48 PM
My take on the US team, now that the tournament is finished.

First, it generally seems that a third place finish is not outside the range of where most experts (I'm not one) placed this team pre-tournament. In that regard, I don't think the outcome can necessarily be considered a failure.

Chris Dilks, in his blog, usually does a really good job assessing the prospects for the US team, as well as possible candidates for the team, early each December, and this year was no different. If I recall his pre-selection assessment, he felt the pool of candidates at forward was solid and pretty deep, perhaps with more scoring potential than past groups. He was less enthused about the group of defensemen to choose from, especially without players like Hanifan. Goaltending was expected to be a bit of a question as well.

I think it's also fair to say that once the team was selected, Chris was less enthused, as were many others. A sizable number of goal scoring forwards were passed over in favor of guys more suited for third or fourth line grinding roles.

So here is my question/take. Did this team really just end up about where they were destined to, but just got there in a different way? That is, did the presence of the more defensive styled forwards instead of the Kyle Connors of the world mean that we would end up losing games 1-0 or 2-1, rather than 4-3 or 5-4. Defense and goaltending was expected to be a big question mark, and now some will say that we squandered a good defensive and goaltending effort by not having any goal scoring. But did we? If we had taken the goal scorers instead of the grinders, might our questionable defense and goaltending been exposed?

I don't know, but all in all I think this outcome is probably about where they were destined for in any event.

hockeyplayer1015
01-05-2016, 02:29 PM
This gold medal game is going to be a barn burner these last 10 minutes. Finland just scored to tie it at 2.

hockeyplayer1015
01-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Finland scores with :01 remaining on a PP. 3-2 Suomi with a shade over 2 minutes to go.

Russian captain throws a tantrum, gets a misconduct and then goes ape**** in the box, getting himself tossed. Lol.

hockeyplayer1015
01-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Provorov takes a shot that pinballs off a Russian forward next to the net to tie the game with 6.9 seconds to go, EAG. Wow. This one will need bonus time.

hockeyplayer1015
01-05-2016, 03:11 PM
SUOMI!

Russia joins Group B in Toronto.

Shirtless Guy
01-05-2016, 03:16 PM
SUOMI!

Group B in Toronto will have some great games...and some real stinkers against Latvia.

joecct
01-05-2016, 03:18 PM
SUOMI!

That's some group. Figure RUS-SVK and USA-CAN on 12/31. The rest of the schedule is going to be a nightmare.

On the other side 12/31 FIN-SWE & CZE-DEN??

hockeyplayer1015
01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Group B in Toronto will have some great games...and some real stinkers against Latvia.

Both groups have some potential for great games next year. Sure, Group B has 3 of the top 5, a middling Slovakia and bottom feeder Latvia. Group A has 2 perennial powers, and then the rest have the chance to create some drama, as we saw SUI and Denmark give a couple scares this year.

J.D.
01-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Pretty good tourney overall for us. There isn't much separation among big five at this tournament. So while we will occasionally bow out in the quarters, goal should be to consistently be in the semis.

streaker
01-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Pretty good tourney overall for us. There isn't much separation among big five at this tournament. So while we will occasionally bow out in the quarters, goal should be to consistently be in the semis.

I thought Sweden crapped the bed- they looked like the most complete team of the tourney. That said, playing for 3rd place is a demotivator after losing to what I presume is their most hated rival in their home rink.

Finland didn't look that strong at the start of the tourney, but that win against Canada jump started them.

The US only gave up 10 goals, but 3 of them were in the pivotal losses. Their offense was prolific but went kapoot in those games too. Just the same, it looked like a complete roster when guys like Kyle Conner are left off the team.

Canada was a complete disappointment.

Russia didn't dominate anyone, but seemed to win those tight gritty games except against the Finns in the gold medal game.

Veritas
01-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Fore reasons that are unclear neither the USA Hockey website or the IIHF have updated statistics since 12/31.

Anyone know where one can see the Team USA stats.