PDA

View Full Version : 2016 World Junior Championship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28

Hokydad
01-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Just watched the highlights.

You have an interesting interpretation.

As a very former D man, I would not call standing still and poking his stick in the Ruskie's general direction as "pushing him wide". As we've seen before, a lot, he put no real effort into preventing a player a nice clean chance at the net. Regardless of the goalie- the chance should never have had happen. It's not as if the player came out of nowhere- he skated in from the blueline. Geez- Zack picked him up just below the face off dot, and SHOULD have easily pushed him into the boards. Easy. Plenty of time and space to do something so simple.

Instead, well, couple of strides, poke of a stick, and that was all the effort he did.

For a player of such high regard, this kind of play is getting really old. We see this WAY, WAY to often.

I am not disagreeing totally. Russian should not have gotten a shot off. Active stick would have prevented that and should have. My point was it was a brutal soft goal that goalie should have had. He had no chance on tying goalie as D stood there with sticks waist high watching Russians hack away at it

alfablue
01-04-2016, 05:57 PM
I am not disagreeing totally. Russian should not have gotten a shot off. Active stick would have prevented that and should have. My point was it was a brutal soft goal that goalie should have had. He had no chance on tying goalie as D stood there with sticks waist high watching Russians hack away at it

Moving his feet would have done even more. Lazy. Seen that way too many times to think it was a unique situation.

If he was a winger, it would be one thing. But his position is defenseman, so defend. Not spectate.

Jimjamesak
01-04-2016, 06:20 PM
6'4" 220 lb first rd NHL draft pick with 13 points so far, 8 in his last 8, +12 and playing D1 past two seasons, very solid last year, could have helped
Nothing to do with hindsight. Said it from day one

But hey, like our town u-6 soccer coach says, "it's not about winning"!!
JFC you need a new grindstone for that axe? I have a feeling USA Hockey could've pick 20 Gretzky clones and you'd be unhappy.

joecct
01-04-2016, 06:28 PM
6'4" 220 lb first rd NHL draft pick with 13 points so far, 8 in his last 8, +12 and playing D1 past two seasons, very solid last year, could have helped
Nothing to do with hindsight. Said it from day one

But hey, like our town u-6 soccer coach says, "it's not about winning"!!Anecdotal story.

The Ann Arbor program was interviewing prospective goalies and each was asked the following question

"Would you rather play well and lose 2-1 or win 8-7?"

All but one of the candidates answered 2-1.

Hammer
01-04-2016, 07:55 PM
JFC you need a new grindstone for that axe? I have a feeling USA Hockey could've pick 20 Gretzky clones and you'd be unhappy.

Of course. Gretzky is Canadian.

FlagDUDE08
01-05-2016, 05:42 AM
Of course. Gretzky is Canadian.

Don't you know, the only reason we won in 2010 is because of Canadian development? Even the great Don Cherry said so! :rolleyes::p

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 08:35 AM
anyone have the link to the game? stuck at work and can't watch on nhl network.

FlagDUDE08
01-05-2016, 08:59 AM
After 20:00 :

USA: :D:D
SWE: :mad::mad:

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Nevermind I found.

3-2 US!

Boeser with a deflection early in second.

crossjcek
01-05-2016, 09:09 AM
care to share the link?
thanks

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 09:14 AM
care to share the link?
thanks

http://hackey69.1apps.com/

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Make it 4-2 US on a 4 on 1 goal.

Sweden had a goal waved off due to high stick.

The Exiled One
01-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Dang it Borgen!

I found a YouTube link if anybody is interested.

crossjcek
01-05-2016, 09:23 AM
thanks for the link

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 09:39 AM
6-2 US.

This team had the talent to win it all...stinks.

C+/B- game vs. Russia was their undoing.

Would have loved to have seen them match up against Finland in that atmosphere. Still medaling again would be nothing to shake our fist at.

We haven't been a consistent medal team yet and I don't want to get greedy/spoiled like the Canadiens are with this tourney.

Shirtless Guy
01-05-2016, 09:47 AM
6-2 US.

This team had the talent to win it all...stinks.

C+/B- game vs. Russia was their undoing.

Would have loved to have seen them match up against Finland in that atmosphere. Still medaling again would be nothing to shake our fist at.

We haven't been a consistent medal team yet and I don't want to get greedy/spoiled like the Canadiens are with this tourney.

I think its going to be hard for any team to to be a consistent medal team with the effort put forth by at least 5 countries now (USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia) plus the ability of the Czech Republic and Slovakia to steal a medal occasionally.

PrezdeJohnson09
01-05-2016, 09:57 AM
I think its going to be hard for any team to to be a consistent medal team with the effort put forth by at least 5 countries now (USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia) plus the ability of the Czech Republic and Slovakia to steal a medal occasionally.

Good points. The Swiss normally can be a huge thorn in the side too but they had some bad luck this tournament.

The quality of this tournament for sure has dramatically gone up in the last 10 years. It's great for the game and hopefully it keeps getting more and more exposure. It has the skill level and excitement factor of the best of the best young players in the world EVERY YEAR rather than just every four years. Plus I think the age tends to lead to more fire wagon end-to-end hockey which is exciting for the viewers/fans and a nightmare for the coaches/goalies! :)

Shirtless Guy
01-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Good points. The Swiss normally can be a huge thorn in the side too but they had some bad luck this tournament.

The quality of this tournament for sure has dramatically gone up in the last 10 years. It's great for the game and hopefully it keeps getting more and more exposure. It has the skill level and excitement factor of the best of the best young players in the world EVERY YEAR rather than just every four years. Plus I think the age tends to lead to more fire wagon end-to-end hockey which is exciting for the viewers/fans and a nightmare for the coaches/goalies! :)It is why I love it. No lead is safe with this age group, games can turn on some crazy plays...very exciting hockey with the skills, and ability to make some big mistakes.

FlagDUDE08
01-05-2016, 10:26 AM
And this one's over; USA will leave with hardware.

Shirtless Guy
01-05-2016, 10:28 AM
And this one's over; USA will leave with hardware.

And will have Russia/Finland loser, Canada, Slovakia, and Latvia in their group next year.
The other group will be Russia/Finland winner, Sweden, Czech Republic, Denmark, Switzerland