2016 World Junior Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 World Junior Championship

Maybe if Canada and USA were in different pools you could do Grand Forks and St. Paul?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Fair enough, then. Would certainly provide quite the incentive to get placed right the previous year, that's for sure. Maybe that's why Finland's quarterfinal is guaranteed in a particular rink. Of course, during the WJC in Buffalo, US and Canada were ALWAYS in the *** Center, as Dwyer could not handle the capacity.
      As it will be in 2018.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Also of note, by the time this tournament would have happen, Maricucci is scheduled to be changed to 92' wide instead of the current 100' so it would be very similar to this year.
        They won't need as much ice when the new Minnesota age rule goes into effect.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          As it will be in 2018.
          They have the new HarborCenter that may host some of the games, and can seat a bit more. Although, US and Canada were able to fill up the *** Center when I was there for the WJC. Switzerland's game (I think they were playing Norway?) didn't have much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Maybe if Canada and USA were in different pools you could do Grand Forks and St. Paul?
            Target Center isn't as terrible for hockey as it used to be since the renovations I believe, although I haven't personally been to a hockey game since the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Mariucci and NHC would be nice hosts for a World Championships. Be nice to see one not in Europe again...
              Considering the "powerhouse" teams in the top division for WJC, it's not surprising to see it where it is. Seeing it in Canada every other year is a bit of a downer, although I can understand why, especially given all the board ads for this year's tournament. That's what happens when you essentially have two teams in North America and the rest in Europe (you could make a case for Russia being mostly in Asia, but a lot of the population is in European Russia); heck in the two divisions below, the only non-European country is Kazakhstan, and they were part of the former USSR.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Target Center isn't as terrible for hockey as it used to be since the renovations I believe, although I haven't personally been to a hockey game since the change.
                If there have been renovations since last years NCHC Final Faceoff then I apologize in advance but it sucked to the 10th degree in that dump last March. Boards, glass, ice, venue all were bad. That's putting it kindly.
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

They have the new HarborCenter that may host some of the games, and can seat a bit more. Although, US and Canada were able to fill up the *** Center when I was there for the WJC. Switzerland's game (I think they were playing Norway?) didn't have much at all.
                  Finland vs Latvia can go across the street. Any game involving USA, Canada, Sweden, and Russia stay in the big building. And, if they're in the same pool, USA-CAN is New Year's Eve, not Boxing Day. And indoors.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                    If there have been renovations since last years NCHC Final Faceoff then I apologize in advance but it sucked to the 10th degree in that dump last March. Boards, glass, ice, venue all were bad. That's putting it kindly.
                    The renovations were supposed to have already taken place. So either the changes meant nothing (if they happened) or they were far from adequate based upon your experience. That's too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      The renovations were supposed to have already taken place. So either the changes meant nothing (if they happened) or they were far from adequate based upon your experience. That's too bad.
                      I am a bit spoiled since I have watched UND at the Ralph the last 15 years but it was bad. We went to watch the Wild Saturday afternoon and then came back to Target to catch the night game. That's when I said to myself I will never return unless something is done with the dump. On top of the poor ice and rink conditions it was a nightmare getting in and out of there. Total chaos.
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Considering the "powerhouse" teams in the top division for WJC, it's not surprising to see it where it is. Seeing it in Canada every other year is a bit of a downer, although I can understand why, especially given all the board ads for this year's tournament. That's what happens when you essentially have two teams in North America and the rest in Europe (you could make a case for Russia being mostly in Asia, but a lot of the population is in European Russia); heck in the two divisions below, the only non-European country is Kazakhstan, and they were part of the former USSR.
                        I was talking about the World Championships, not the WJC. The WC was held in Canada in 2008 in Halifax and Quebec City. That was first time it wasn't in Europe since 1962. For once I'd just like to see USA Hockey try a bid for it.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          I was talking about the World Championships, not the WJC. The WC was held in Canada in 2008 in Halifax and Quebec City. That was first time it wasn't in Europe since 1962. For once I'd just like to see USA Hockey try a bid for it.
                          I'm sure having the NHL playoffs going at the same time makes that a logistical nightmare.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            I'm sure having the NHL playoffs going at the same time makes that a logistical nightmare.
                            Probably, unless they were willing to do college rinks, or Kansas City bid for it. Considering the '08 WC had buildings of 11k and 15k I guess it would be doable.
                            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                              Probably, unless they were willing to do college rinks, or Kansas City bid for it. Considering the '08 WC had buildings of 11k and 15k I guess it would be doable.
                              Best bet would the Kohl Center and Marriucci or the Ralph and somebody. Everywhere else is either too small or being used by some pro team.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

WJC GAME RESET

Time: 0:00

Score:
                                T USA:
                                T DEN:

Power Plays:
                                USA:
                                DEN:

Comment

Working...