ASU Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASU Hockey

I was at the first UMass Lowell game last Friday and while ASU is getting kicked mightily wherever it goes, I have to really, really applaud the school for fielding a program.

The thing I love about college hockey is that even so-called 'lesser' schools can rise to the top. We've seen Lake Superior, Union, Q, Colorado, Providence and a host of other schools lacking marquee names do very well in this sport. In basketball and football, the 'usual suspects' are there at the beginning and at the end. But in hockey, you never really know.

Now ASU is paying its dues, and it isn't fun getting outscored 12-2 over the course of two nights. But I thought ASU played Lowell very tough in the 1st & 3rd. The dues they are paying now will result in a stronger program, and hopefully a 'quid-pro-quo' arrangement will have a lot of these eastern schools traveling to Tempe next year. This year's travel budget for them must be huge.
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
      I was at the first UMass Lowell game last Friday and while ASU is getting kicked mightily wherever it goes, I have to really, really applaud the school for fielding a program.

The thing I love about college hockey is that even so-called 'lesser' schools can rise to the top. We've seen Lake Superior, Union, Q, Colorado, Providence and a host of other schools lacking marquee names do very well in this sport. In basketball and football, the 'usual suspects' are there at the beginning and at the end. But in hockey, you never really know.

Now ASU is paying its dues, and it isn't fun getting outscored 12-2 over the course of two nights. But I thought ASU played Lowell very tough in the 1st & 3rd. The dues they are paying now will result in a stronger program, and hopefully a 'quid-pro-quo' arrangement will have a lot of these eastern schools traveling to Tempe next year. This year's travel budget for them must be huge.
      Great post. We certainly have had some tough games of late. We seemed to be much more competitive early on and actually had a few decent wins. I'm not sure if it is the youth, but towards the end of the season the results were tough. We have a long way to go, but being a New England transplant, I never thought my alma mater would get college hockey and couldn't be happier they did it. I look forward to seeing how we can build our program over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
        Uhhh got any sauce on that? The only one that would make sense is Air Force, and I don't see them leaving a conference with Army. Maybe Robert Morris or Mercyhurst?
        I have to imagine Niagara is chaffing like no tomorrow though who is to say what has changed institutionally there. Still, nothing seems natural.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Hey, take a look at Hockey East for ASU. Geography doesn't seem to matter as Notre Dame doesn't belong in HE, yet they're in the conference. So what the heck, come on in ASU.
          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I think that ASU doesn't want to be indie, so they'll join whoever will take them. I figured the NCHC, but they allegedly have eyes on some AHA schools.
            Motzko was asked about that and said it's crazy so there's that.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

. I figured the NCHC, but they allegedly have eyes on some AHA schools.
              Never heard this.
              "My greatest achievement."
              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                Never heard this.
                It's merely a rumor as of now; I found out about it this weekend from a known name in the business. 4 schools. Canisius, Mercyhurst, RIT, and I forget the 4th (might have been Niagara). It's a scholarship limit thing. They want more scholarships, AHA doesn't.

I was unaware of the 2 year indie plan with ASU, but given all the particulars of joining a conference (scheduling being one of them), and it being this late in the year, next season being indie makes sense. Join in 2017-18.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's merely a rumor as of now; I found out about it this weekend from a known name in the business. 4 schools. Canisius, Mercyhurst, RIT, and I forget the 4th (might have been Niagara). It's a scholarship limit thing. They want more scholarships, AHA doesn't.

I was unaware of the 2 year indie plan with ASU, but given all the particulars of joining a conference (scheduling being one of them), and it being this late in the year, next season being indie makes sense. Join in 2017-18.
                  Sidebar: Can RIT offer scholarships? I thought they came in after any new D-III play-ups were told that they can't offer them...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Sidebar: Can RIT offer scholarships? I thought they came in after any new D-III play-ups were told that they can't offer them...
                    From my limited understanding, and this came from another poster on GPL, AHA limits teams to 12 scholarships, the 4 schools in question want 18. I am not very familiar with eastern hockey and their practices. Just reporting what I heard this weekend. If anyone can offer more info, please do. Given the developments over the past couple of years, college hockey is in a very strange place right now. I cannot discount anything at this point.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

From my limited understanding, and this came from another poster on GPL, AHA limits teams to 12 scholarships, the 4 schools in question want 18. I am not very familiar with eastern hockey and their practices. Just reporting what I heard this weekend. If anyone can offer more info, please do. Given the developments over the past couple of years, college hockey is in a very strange place right now. I cannot discount anything at this point.
                      RIT and Union still can't as far as I know.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        RIT and Union still can't as far as I know.
                        So if they left the conference, they COULD offer scholarships? The people I were with were wondering why THESE particular schools were named...and the scholarships would explain it.

Comment

RIT does not offer scholarships currently. Atlantic hockey has been phasing in additional scholarships. Currently at 15

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                            RIT does not offer scholarships currently. Atlantic hockey has been phasing in additional scholarships. Currently at 15
                            Thank you for the info.

Comment

Canisius, Niagra, RIT, Robert Morris, and Buffalo sat down and talked with Bowling Green about saving the CCHA before BG joined the WCHA.

Comment

So if they left the conference, they COULD offer scholarships? The people I were with were wondering why THESE particular schools were named...and the scholarships would explain it.
                                RIT may want the higher profile... they have a different dynamic where they are VERY locally popular. That doesn't change that RIT can't offer scholarships.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Working...
                                X