BIG / WCHA Challenge - 2015 Great Lakes Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Looked at ticketmaster. Seems to be slim pickings for tickets. Should be a great atmosphere at the Joe.
    Huge ice storm rolling through Monday night/Tuesday morning might cause travel issues, though.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Re: BIG / WCHA Challenge - 2015 Great Lakes Invitational

Looked at ticketmaster. Seems to be slim pickings for tickets. Should be a great atmosphere at the Joe.
      I find this surprising, it feels like the attendance has sagged in the last five years where I've gone to GLI. I wasn't impressed with WMU and FSU's attendance, I'm not expecting very much from NMU. Tech surprises me with the number of fans they bring, and of course Michigan and MSU bring good numbers.

Looking forward to this years matchup and getting a look at NMU before seeing them play tUMD.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        Huge ice storm rolling through Monday night/Tuesday morning might cause travel issues, though.
        Hoping the interstates are decent enough to make the trip from West Michigan to Detroit.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Hoping the interstates are decent enough to make the trip from West Michigan to Detroit.
          Interstate roads are usually kept decent with the high volume of traffic on them. I was told years ago that a different type of stuff is used to melt icey roads faster.
          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            I find this surprising, it feels like the attendance has sagged in the last five years where I've gone to GLI. I wasn't impressed with WMU and FSU's attendance, I'm not expecting very much from NMU. Tech surprises me with the number of fans they bring, and of course Michigan and MSU bring good numbers.

Looking forward to this years matchup and getting a look at NMU before seeing them play tUMD.
            Guess we shall see Tues. I find it strange also, being it played earlier midweek.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              Streaming on BTN2GO with TV subscription
              Wooo!!!! Thank you!!!

*edit*

Strike that Woohoo from my post. I see the Championship game requires a BTN Plus Subscription. The hell? How am I supposed to see the 'Cats hoist the MacInnes Cup?
              Last edited by aparch; 12-28-2015, 09:23 AM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                Michigan will likely be missing their two most important defensemen for the GLI. Werenski is almost a lock to be on the WJ team, and Downing has now been suspended for two games following a high hit against Minnesota.

And on the subject of that hit, I want to give kudos to the Michigan athletic website. They actually showed video of the incident which you can see here - http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...ckey-body.html It's refreshing that a school shows what actually happened in the game, rather than just the plays that paint their team in a good light. Perfect example...Michigan State's video wrapup of their 3-0 loss to Wisconsin which showed none of the three goals - http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...ckey-body.html So if you don't show us the "bad" highlights, then they didn't really happen? Must be hard to keep searching for something positive with that lot right now too.
                The only way I can think of for a comparison of MSU and UM hockey right now, is to compare MSU Football of 2013-15 to UM football of the same period. MSU is lost in the wilderness right now with no compass.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Wooo!!!! Thank you!!!

*edit*

Strike that Woohoo from my post. I see the Championship game requires a BTN Plus Subscription. The hell? How am I supposed to see the 'Cats hoist the MacInnes Cup?
                  Fox Sports Set has the game if you get that station.

Comment

Interstate roads are usually kept decent with the high volume of traffic on them. I was told years ago that a different type of stuff is used to melt icey roads faster.
                    On top of that, coming from west Michigan, going by metro airport means that i94 will be one that is cleaner than the rest.

Be safe, and all have fun at the games!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      On top of that, coming from west Michigan, going by metro airport means that i94 will be one that is cleaner than the rest.

If I was in an ice storm situation I might leave before the ice storm kicks in, use the plastic and stay in nearby hotel so you are close. Safe travels to all.

Comment

It started today about 1:00, salt trucks are out, not as bad as the ice we had by surprise last Friday night.

Go Tech, let's get this started already..
                        Last edited by Huskiefan906; 12-28-2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

That is true, I'm not too concerned. We'll probably leave around 11 or noon and things should be fine by then. Looking forward to watching some hockey with some fans that I usually don't get to see.
                          Guess we shall see Tues. I find it strange also, being it played earlier midweek.
                          I highly doubt it myself. We shall see though.
                          Originally posted by alfablue View Post

We're taking I-96 so won't get that.
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

So this is what I know about the teams. Please add in what you know.
                            Michigan- the favorite- Goes up and down a lot and offensively very, very good.Sometimes can get caught defensively. Average goaltending. Likes to forecheck aggressively at the beginning of games/periods but goes back to a more defensive mode after about 5 minutes. Can really light the lamp.

MSU- Defensive and counterattacking style- good goaltending most of the time. Defensemen prone to turning it over. one really good line and several more average lines. Usually forechecks only one but will occasionally be more aggressive. Has struggled but honestly better than their record.

NMU- Defensive team, good goaltending. Maybe second best of the group, first line very good at taking advantage of turnovers, Defensemen above average, not as much depth as some. Tied Wisconsin twice and tied Minnesota state twice I believe. Lost two OT games at BGSU that really should have been ties or wins.

MTU- Likes to go up and down, somewhat more defensive than Michigan but less maybe than the other teams. Creates a ton of grade A chances, but sometimes doesn't take advantage. Good quick defensemen, excellent goaltending. Has had a lot of real bad luck or would have at least 2 more wins. Team has improved since the MSU series. I haven'y seen a team yet that can skate with them but I expect Michigan certainly can.Struggles with an aggressive forecheck.

I think the NMU/ Michigan matchup is real intriguing because NMU matches up pretty well.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Predictions:
                              MSU-1
                              Tech-4

NMU-2
                              UM-4

Day 2:
                              NMU-3
                              MSU-2

UM-4
                              Tech-3
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                So this is what I know about the teams. Please add in what you know.
                                Michigan- the favorite- Goes up and down a lot and offensively very, very good.Sometimes can get caught defensively. Average goaltending. Likes to forecheck aggressively at the beginning of games/periods but goes back to a more defensive mode after about 5 minutes. Can really light the light
                                Couple of additions.

The d breakdown is more often than sometimes.

And while the offense can light the light, it's still possible to cut that off enough to where the 3 against will win.

We scored 10 on MN and only got a split.

So.

Comment

Working...
                                X