Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the problem!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I personally have a hard time putting the total weight of judgement on one night's performance in comparing teams, but I completely understand it.

I for one am not.

As I said, I was expressing doubt during that season in this thread, much to the chagrin of many. Just wasn't feeling that sense of destiny and in 05/06, the Badgers (with Elliott) were clearly the best team in the nation. The team that lost to BC was not.

I was certainly hoping that we'd win, but in 06, I was sure* we were going to win. So much so that I bought Regional and FF tickets well in advance. Even had a schedule poster dry-mounted ahead of Skate With the Badgers and had everyone sign it - never did that before and haven't since although I haven't been to SWtB since my kid got too old for it.

It's not unlike the 96-97 Packers and the 10-11 Packers.

In 96, it was a sense of destiny. Unless something odd happened, we were going to win it all. It was our time. Same with the 05/06 in hockey.

In 09, the Packers were good and on the rise, but they had to finish strong and become the hot team at the right time to become champs. They weren't obviously better than everyone else like the Packers in 96.

And making an argument based upon switching the goalie is pointless as the goalie is a part of the team. I mean, put Pavelski on the 10 team and it may change the outcome too.

* As sure as one can be when you are competing in a sport like hockey in a one game scenario - thank you posts against Cornell and BC.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

In 96, it was a sense of destiny. Unless something odd happened, we were going to win it all. It was our time. Same with the 05/06 in hockey.

In 09, the Packers were good and on the rise, but they had to finish strong and become the hot team at the right time to become champs. They weren't obviously better than everyone else like the Packers in 96.

You must clean house gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
        You must clean house gambling.

I did in 05/06 as I laid out a grand easy on getting to watch that title run in person.

Comment

I for one am not.

As I said, I was expressing doubt during that season in this thread, much to the chagrin of many. Just wasn't feeling that sense of destiny and in 05/06, the Badgers (with Elliott) were clearly the best team in the nation. The team that lost to BC was not.

I was certainly hoping that we'd win, but in 06, I was sure* we were going to win. So much so that I bought Regional and FF tickets well in advance. Even had a schedule poster dry-mounted ahead of Skate With the Badgers and had everyone sign it - never did that before and haven't since although I haven't been to SWtB since my kid got too old for it.

And making an argument based upon switching the goalie is pointless as the goalie is a part of the team. I mean, put Pavelski on the 10 team and it may change the outcome too.

* As sure as one can be when you are competing in a sport like hockey in a one game scenario - thank you posts against Cornell and BC.
          Switching Pavs with Hobie Blake may or may not have made a difference, but it's not obvious to me at least. Switching any other players playing the same positions doesn't stand out to me either. Thus my comment that one team wasn't significantly better than the other outside of goal. But while Goody was good, it seems to stand out that Els was a real upgrade, especially the way he played down the stretch. I get the whole feeling they were going to win in '06 thing, but on the other hand, I wasn't really feeling that sure 75 minutes into the Cornell game.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Switching Pavs with Hobie Blake may or may not have made a difference, but it's not obvious to me at least. Switching any other players playing the same positions doesn't stand out to me either. Thus my comment that one team wasn't significantly better than the other outside of goal. But while Goody was good, it seems to stand out that Els was a real upgrade, especially the way he played down the stretch. I get the whole feeling they were going to win in '06 thing, but on the other hand, I wasn't really feeling that sure 75 minutes into the Cornell game.

Switch Hobie Blake with Burish and we definitely don't win in 06.

This could go on and on and it's pointless.

And yeah... the Cornell game wasn't even fun, just a relief. I've never been at a larger group pucker than that was.

Comment

I was certainly hoping that we'd win, but in 06, I was sure* we were going to win. So much so that I bought Regional and FF tickets well in advance.

I did the exact same thing and I agree with you about that 06 team versus the 10 and 14 teams. Never had that feeling with them. In fact the 14 team was not good away from home including the stinkers in Boston that year.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

BC's waterbugs seemed to have little difficulty with the ice against our NHL prospects.

Of course, my memory could be shady as I only watched that game the one time.

I just remember thinking during the game though that we weren't gonna score. It was "one of those nights" and it was palpable to me.
                I'd say your recollection is accurate. I felt that despite of the way BC was handling UW, if Davies gets it to a 1-1 game at that point, UW had a chance. Up to that point it did feel a little hopeless, then the wheels fell off and that was it.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Actually, to be fair, the "glory years" actually ended in the early 90s with the loss and meltdown against Lake State and the couple of years after.

Really hasn't been the same since and I believe a lot of us thought it was back on track with the slow (4 year) build to the 06 championship. Unfortunately, it couldn't be sustained.

And bone to pick with Eaves?

Yes.

He's overseen the final destruction of a once proud program, turning it from one of the top ten programs of all time (when he took over - it was higher ranked in the mid-80s) to whatever hell hole it resides in now.

And Alvarez is right there with him as Eaves should have been gone by 2012 at the latest.

The attendance don't lie. If they were above .500 most years with some peaks and played a style that wasn't completely gut-wrenchingly boring, the fans would still be there.

Eaves hasn't been able to right the ship in almost 10 years now as the ups and mostly downs started the year after the last title.

Should have been fired last year. One of Barry's many mistakes as an AD.
                  Agree on Eaves. Its time to move on and find someone who can restore Wisconsin hockey to being something that has a winning record most years and is making the Frozen Four on a regular basis.
                  A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                  Originally posted by MadCityRich
                  He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                  Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                  Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                  I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                  "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

I wonder what would have transpired if Sauer hadn't been pushed out. I was an advocate for change back then but think of this...he's got a decent sniper in Alex Leavitt with Burish, mcmurchy, Gilbert, licari, degenhardt etc coming in. Could he have landed Suter? Certainly earl would have gone to Michigan, and maybe joudrey doesn't come to Madison, but I wonder if Sauer could have had a late period resurgence.

Just stuff I think about when Wisconsin hockey has 4 wins to show for itself on January 12th. Christ, in years past 4 wins by the end of November would have been easy as hell.

Any word on Fredric?
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      I wonder what would have transpired if Sauer hadn't been pushed out. I was an advocate for change back then but think of this...he's got a decent sniper in Alex Leavitt with Burish, mcmurchy, Gilbert, licari, degenhardt etc coming in. Could he have landed Suter? Certainly earl would have gone to Michigan, and maybe joudrey doesn't come to Madison, but I wonder if Sauer could have had a late period resurgence.

In a word... No.

I was at a couple of team banquets towards the end and the level of disrespect that his players showed towards him was disappointing and eye opening. Talking and laughing amongst themselves while he was giving his speech, etc.

I remember Heatley showing up in a suit and wearing flip-flops. Of course he had just signed and was a millionaire, but still.

Sauer was done.

I have fond memories and he's a really nice guy in person, but his time was up.

Comment

Switch Hobie Blake with Burish and we definitely don't win in 06.

This could go on and on and it's pointless.

Well, of course it's pointless! When have I ever had a good point?

And I'm not sure I'm buying Burish for Blake. I get why you say it, and I know it's almost blasphemous to disagree, but man, Blake produced 28g/50pts. and was still one of the best two-way players in college hockey. 28 goals fills a pretty big hole on a team.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Well here we are at mid-season and while this season has been mildly more entertaining than last season's toilet bowl, here is what we have to show for it.

We have 4 wins which is the same as last season. But alas, 2 of those win came against Arizona State, a first year team without a conference. Take away those two wins and that means ASU has beaten more real teams than Wisconsin! Excluding ASU, the only team nationally with fewer wins than Wisconsin is Niagra.

Attendance is down again, and our fearless leader is talking about making hay when all we are getting is horse apples. Please BA, pull the trigger so the turn-around can begin!

Comment

In a word... No.

I was at a couple of team banquets towards the end and the level of disrespect that his players showed towards him was disappointing and eye opening. Talking and laughing amongst themselves while he was giving his speech, etc.

I remember Heatley showing up in a suit and wearing flip-flops. Of course he had just signed and was a millionaire, but still.

Sauer was done.

I bumped into him in the concession crowd at APT one night, nearly spilling my coffee, and he was very polite.

I didn't see any recruits with him.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              I bumped into him in the concession crowd at APT one night, nearly spilling my coffee, and he was very polite.

I didn't see any recruits with him.
                              Probably a shock to you burd, but the vast majority of people in the world do not completely lose their minds just because you spill a little liquid on them.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                In a word... No.

Sauer was done.

Yeah, I sort of forgot about rhe banquets and the kids showing him no respect.

It was bored musings and a bit of nostalgia because when I started attending games it was just after Sauer took over and it was still a glorious time to be a fan.

Realizing today the team has 4 wins and will likely end up under double digit wins again sent me down memory lane.

As an aside, I hope Burish becomes a coach someday
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X