PDA

View Full Version : ASU @ RPI, 12/11/15 and 12/12/15

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ralph Baer
12-05-2015, 08:21 PM
discuss :)

DrDemento
12-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Not much to discuss. Win both games and we stay in a decent position in the standings nation wide. Lose and we will fall precipitously.

turk181
12-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Hopefully the “bug” that hit the Team while out @ ND will be snuffed out this coming week. Heard the bus ride back was pretty bad. That might explain the tired legs this weekend. Where they got the energy to play like they did in that 3rd period & OT I don’t know but they looked really good after 5 periods combined of bad hockey.

turk181
12-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Looks like Jordan Masters will play in the HFH after all ;)

Red Cows
12-07-2015, 02:06 PM
discuss :)

Thus beginneth a string of 6 straight road games for ASU where they should be pleased if they even score any goals.

DrDemento
12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Thus beginneth a string of 6 straight road games for ASU where they should be pleased if they even score any goals.

Never fear as over the many years that i have followed RPI hockey I have seen some very odd occurrences. We seem to have the knack down better than any other team to make the good look bad and bad look good. We play up to the best in the country and down to the worst. Whatever you are expecting for this weekend, just throw it all out the window and sit back and enjoy the show that RPI TV puts on. Incredibly good hockey coverage from the video side and incredible fair and balanced commentary from the audio side.

joecct
12-07-2015, 03:21 PM
If we can sweep them with little trouble, you should have a cakewalk.

FlagDUDE08
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Third rule of ECAC hockey.

BTW, did any of their fans start whining about your fans yelling "night"?

Wisko McBadgerton
12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Looks like Jordan Masters will play in the HFH after all ;)

I have to say, Masters was pretty impressive in the two games I watched ASU vs. Wisconsin. And I don't just mean good for a first year team guy. I mean he played like a good top six guy for just about anyone.

They have some other guys that can play a little too, and no one should just go completely to sleep on them or it could turn upside down quickly enough. They're not very good overall, but they are hungry.

joecct
12-07-2015, 05:23 PM

BTW, did any of their fans start whining about your fans yelling "night"?

As in "Good night"?. No. Anyway, it's "Knight"

Ralph Baer
12-07-2015, 08:28 PM

That doesn't compute. RPI never has cakewalks.

Ralph Baer
12-07-2015, 08:29 PM

:confused:
Do you mean Kepler's Third Law?

Red Cows
12-07-2015, 11:24 PM

Your series with them is interesting in the sense that one would think it would be at least some sort of bellwether. I don't know how good ASU's "sea legs" were, yet, when they played Quinnipiac back on 10-15. Other than them, they haven't played another team that is in the caliber of RPI, and, by that I mean somebody that is potential tourney team. ASU hasn't been too good, looking at their numbers. Their goalie that has played the most minutes has a serviceable .923 SV% but he has given up 2.78 GAA per game and has seen a ton of shots, indicative of a pretty bad D in front of him, one would guess. I think they are behind Penn State at the same juncture. Of course, Penn State, even in their old arena, pre-Pegula, was in a facility far superior to the one ASU is playing in, now. Next weekend here in Omaha those two games, by themselves, will outdraw all the home games they play at Oceanside Arena this season combined. They'll get a first hand look at something along the lines of what they are going to have build while they are here, as well.

I saw their home game against Arizona to open the season. It was reminiscent of a USHL game, frankly.

By the way, when the heck are we ever gonna play you guys? You are still on what is now the VERY short list of teams we've never played. We won your tourney years ago and never faced you while we were doing so.

Ralph Baer
12-08-2015, 12:41 AM
By the way, when the heck are we ever gonna play you guys? You are still on what is now the VERY short list of teams we've never played. We won your tourney years ago and never faced you while we were doing so. I assume that you are referring to RPI, not Clarkson since joecct is a Clarkson alum. I don't have the answer, but you are on our very short list of teams never played also.

BTW, weren't we both in another tourney more recently than the November 2005 RPI tourney?

Red Cows
12-08-2015, 01:59 AM
I assume that you are referring to RPI, not Clarkson since joecct is a Clarkson alum. I don't have the answer, but you are on our very short list of teams never played also.

BTW, weren't we both in another tourney more recently than the November 2005 RPI tourney?

Yes, I meant RPI, not Clarkson, whom we have played. My bad for assuming everyone in the thread wasn't RPI affiliated and confusing you.

And, you are correct. I just checked and RPI played in UNO's now defunct Maverick Stampede at the start of the 2004-'05 season, which we ended up winning as well, but in which we did not play you as you guys lost to Merrimack in the first round while we opened with and beat Connecticut (the only time we have ever played them) and then beat Merrimack for the tourney crown.

The tourney you guys hosted was during the '05-'06 season. The Bank of America Holiday Tournament there in Troy, where we beat Providence and Holy Cross, and never faced the Engineers since you lost your first round game in that tourney, too.

I'd say that makes UNO and RPI the answer to a very interesting trivia question. What two teams in college hockey have played multiple games in the others arena yet have never faced one another? I guarantee you if the answer extends beyond UNO and RPI, it is one mighty short list.

Ralph Baer
12-08-2015, 03:49 AM
Yes, I meant RPI, not Clarkson, whom we have played. My bad for assuming everyone in the thread wasn't RPI affiliated and confusing you.

And, you are correct. I just checked and RPI played in UNO's now defunct Maverick Stampede at the start of the 2004-'05 season, which we ended up winning as well, but in which we did not play you as you guys lost to Merrimack in the first round while we opened with and beat Connecticut (the only time we have ever played them) and then beat Merrimack for the tourney crown.

The tourney you guys hosted was during the '05-'06 season. The Bank of America Holiday Tournament there in Troy, where we beat Providence and Holy Cross, and never faced the Engineers since you lost your first round game in that tourney, too.

I'd say that makes UNO and RPI the answer to a very interesting trivia question. What two teams in college hockey have played multiple games in the others arena yet have never faced one another? I guarantee you if the answer extends beyond UNO and RPI, it is one mighty short list.

I suspect the word "multiple" makes it unique. I can't think of an easy way to figure this out.

RPI has never played Canisius, PSU, UNO, and until 12/11 ASU. I think that is our list. Canisius is surprising since they are in NY too.

This probably, however, is only the second oddest thing in RPI's historical schedule. The fact the RPI has played OSU three times and no one has won a game yet is odder, especially when one realizes that each of the three ended in a 5-5 tie.

BTW, when I saw your handle, I thought you were an RPI fan, since several RPI fans have the word "Red" in their handles. I then wondered why you thought RPI has never played Clarkson, whom we have actually played more than any other school. I figured it out when I saw that you live in Nebraska.

joecct
12-08-2015, 09:31 AM
I thought he may have been another commie at Williams. :)

FlagDUDE08
12-08-2015, 09:35 AM
:confused:
Do you mean Kepler's Third Law?

Yes, that.

drshoen
12-08-2015, 10:25 AM
As in "Good night"?. No. Anyway, it's "Knight"

And the band wasn't there (Friday at least) so there was not much yelling at all. Not sure about Saturday...

lugnut92
12-08-2015, 06:52 PM
This has got to be the most important unimportant weekends in recent history. If we do anything other than win handily twice, we should be pretty concerned.