This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Were some of the UNH goals amidst line changes, as UNH forwards on ice for the goals appear to be odd?
    No idea, as I am at Magness waiting for DUs game agains St Cloud, but the UNH SID and stat crew consistently have no idea what they're doing in live scoring. Multiple assists have already changed and will continue to I'm sure. They currently have Vela assisting on the first goal but not on the ice and Kelleher assisting on the third goal from the bench.

They also currently have both Kelleher assists listed as his 22nd of the year. They can never seem to get the number right on goals or assists, which is as simple as looking at a sheet of paper with stats and typing it in.

It's not a difficult job to track goals and assists properly and their inability to do so drives me up the wall. It's embarrassing...
    Last edited by Dan; 12-11-2015, 07:58 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

Mission accomplished - UNH goes wire-to-wire against a defensively poor Dartmouth squad, piling up a huge first period lead, and then pretty much coasting the rest of the way. Dartmouth did take advantage of a UNH letdown later in the first to halve their lead to 4-2, but from there on out, I thought UNH did a decent job of managing the game, and ensuring they would emerge with the win. Getting back to the .500 level may not be classic "Champions of December" form, but it feels like an accomplishment, as they've followed up a six game winless streak with a four game unbeaten streak. 3-0-1 was probably the max realistic run, given the competition and circumstances, so the team should enter the break with some positive thoughts.

The outlook for the next six games after they return from the break offers an opportunity to continue the momentum, as five of the next six games are against three of the four teams currently below UNH in the HE standings, and all have sub-.500 records. Even the tough game in that stretch is a home game against UMass-Lowell. So UNH has a chance to put together a pretty decent 10 game run before running up against three consecutive weekends against four ranked teams. The first two don't look so bad, with a home weekend against NICC ... but after that it's four road games against Providence (2), BC and Lowell. It would be nice to see UNH hitting that 4-game stretch of the schedule 3+ games over .500, and with a slot in the top half of the HE standings. I think it can all be within reach.

Unfortunately, regardless of positioning in the league (or even nationally, which is a bigger stretch) ... I still don't see a team poised to make the same kind of late-season HE Tourney run their predecessors did the last two seasons (more on that later), and thus the hoped-for return to the NCAA's is likely on hold for at least another season. But it's a fun team to watch (although frustrating at times, too) and the potential for a "train wreck" season seems to be fading. Random thoughts:

* Tirone isn't about to win HE honors this season, due to his slow start and continued inconsistent play ... but he seems to have regained some of the lost mojo from last season in his last few starts (especially the UMaine weekend). Tonight was pretty good, too. But goalie continues to be a concern, especially with the news of Clark's pending surgery confirmed recently, and one false step really puts UNH in a colossal bind (see "train wreck" comment above). That's a tough ask for anyone, but if Tirone can survive the season, he is going to be one battled-hardened junior when the '16/'17 season rolls around.

* The "Maginot Line" looks a lot (LOT) better with the energy that Hill brings out there. Gaudreault is becoming "that" UNH forward who comes out of nowhere with the breakout senior season scoring-wise. He's always had the most talent of that group (including MacDonald and Smith), but he clearly knows how to finish. And the much-maligned (by me) Smith's assist on Gaudreault's first period goal was absolutely sublime. The "Maginots" appear to be getting 3rd line time these days, which is (finally) just about right, with Gaudreault getting some additional time here and there with the other groupings (much deserved BTW).

* As a collective group, one of the huge problems UNH has shown when things have not gone right is their willingness to give up way too much room in the neutral zone in transition, and in and around the slot in their own end. I thought they tightened up a little tonight as the game went on, but Dartmouth (and UMaine and Bentley) isn't Providence or BC or Lowell or BU. I've been quick to dump on the UNH defense for their inability to get pucks out of their own zone, but the lack of checking further up ice isn't exactly helping them. Guys like Miller, Salvaggio and most recently Cefalu all seem to be there to try to address that shortcoming, and maybe play a more physical game. The top two lines (I'm including Eiserman/Nazarian/Vela as the other) are not going to win defensive awards any time soon.

* Cleland has emerged as we'd hoped to lead the blueliners, and is really having a very good season. Hopefully Maller's return will help bolster that crew after the break, and young Dawson looks to be a good player in the works. But the absence of a true puck-carrying d-man or two - and the team's inability (or lack of willingness) to play more physically more consistently (and effectively) - stands in the way of any realistic hopes of postseason progress this season. When you look back only a couple of seasons, and see the glut of guys who could carry the puck - TVR, Knodel, Pesce and even Agosta - it only further highlights what is currently missing from the program.

* Let's hope the program can enjoy another stronger second half of their season again this season. It's a nice trend ... but this year it feels very tenuous for the various reasons outlined above. One or two injuries to the wrong players, and this could all go south quickly. That's where the lack of depth in talent really could come home to roost. Fingers crossed, we don't experience the *thrill* of hearing the PA announcer utter the words "Starting in goal for your Wildcats ... Jamie Regan!!" (or *ugh* whomever Jamie's JV level back-up might be ).
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Were some of the UNH goals amidst line changes, as UNH forwards on ice for the goals appear to be odd?
        Yes
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Nice win for the 'Cats tonight! Wow, didn't even realize that Jamie Reagan got into the game with just under 6 left...guess we were so waiting for either Pots for Maxim to get a hattie to throw our hats! It was great to see Maller and Miller out there tonight along with Jamie Hill getting one tonight too.. A good way to go into the break!

highlights/story:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015...x?path=mhockey
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-11-2015, 11:47 PM.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

"UNH's Explosive First Period Leads to 6-3 Victory Over Dartmouth"

By Parker Wheeler
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              No idea, as I am at Magness waiting for DUs game agains St Cloud, but the UNH SID and stat crew consistently have no idea what they're doing in live scoring. Multiple assists have already changed and will continue to I'm sure. They currently have Vela assisting on the first goal but not on the ice and Kelleher assisting on the third goal from the bench.

They also currently have both Kelleher assists listed as his 22nd of the year. They can never seem to get the number right on goals or assists, which is as simple as looking at a sheet of paper with stats and typing it in.

It's not a difficult job to track goals and assists properly and their inability to do so drives me up the wall. It's embarrassing...
              How was game between the Pioneers and St, Clooud?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Nice win for the 'Cats tonight! Wow, didn't even realize that Jamie Reagan got into the game with just under 6 left...guess we were so waiting for either Pots for Maxim to get a hattie to throw our hats! It was great to see Maller and Miller out there tonight along with Jamie Hill getting one tonight too.. A good way to go into the break!

highlights/story:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015...x?path=mhockey
                Yeah, good win for the Cats! I had a feeling they would break out a little bit last night and they did right form the get go. It was 6-2 right up until 15:24 of the third period so almost nailed it! Even a broken clock is right twice a day
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  Yeah, good win for the Cats! I had a feeling they would break out a little bit last night and they did right form the get go. It was 6-2 right up until 15:24 of the third period so almost nailed it! Even a broken clock is right twice a day
                  Haha when it was 6-2 I said to hubby 'e.cat is going to win this one'... I had it closer. Going in to hockey withdrawals but at least going to the B's next Sunday! Time to get real about Christmas I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    You may be right. However, with Tirone's poor play (and continued poor play) Clark had seized two starts in a row and likely would have started the first game out in Michigan. Now, I am basing my opinion on the fact that, while Tirone may have been the #1 in Umile's plans he would make the adjustment if Clark continued to play at that high level. Meaning that once Clark got to the top of the mountain top, he (and his play) controlled his own destiny as far as remaining the lead netminder.

Of course, the old puck coach has fooled me in this regard before...
                    Dan, you might have mistaken me for Umile. I was the one saying Clark should be #1

Comment

Lets see: 3.81/GF, 3.69/GA; .500 record. Looks about right. WYSWYG. In a nutshell, it comes down to defense and goaltending, as always.
                      Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

So here we are not exactly where we thought we'd be but the .500 record is what it is. The D is coming along although still we need more but I think Cleland and Furgele played great games last night. We were lucky to pick up Matt Dawson when we did; he's got good stuff and despite his necessary adjustment to NCAA play I like his game. Maller out there made a diff I thought and Furgele had 2 points on the night. Could be totally off the mark but I'm thinking/wondering if he's (Furgele) becoming that D who could potentially be able to break out of the zone and skate it out. Yes it was against a weaker team of course but I like our chances even with the super tough second half schedule we have with lots of major work ahead. Bummed we have lost Clarky for the season..for the second year in a row UNH is faced with a goaltending situation that will be solved next season...next season..

What games COULD we have won the first half? Obviously both UMass games, the 2 North Country games, RPI (if we had a better first period), the tie with Maine...Oh the possibilities. Being at the game last night you could feel, see the difference the team came out with and scoring those 4 quick goals. I don't think anyone at the 'Whitt saw that coming and it was a nice place to be! No idea if we have what it takes to go on a big run like last season, but I think we could surprise here and there. Not deluding myself, honest..

Still it's super fun to have the nations top 2 scorers!!!!! Soon it will be Hobey B time and I hope they put up TyK. He's the general out there and his work is highly commendable.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          So here we are not exactly where we thought we'd be but the .500 record is what it is. The D is coming along although still we need more but I think Cleland and Furgele played great games last night. We were lucky to pick up Matt Dawson when we did; he's got good stuff and despite his necessary adjustment to NCAA play I like his game. Maller out there made a diff I thought and Furgele had 2 points on the night. Could be totally off the mark but I'm thinking/wondering if he's (Furgele) becoming that D who could potentially be able to break out of the zone and skate it out. Yes it was against a weaker team of course but I like our chances even with the super tough second half schedule we have with lots of major work ahead. Bummed we have lost Clarky for the season..for the second year in a row UNH is faced with a goaltending situation that will be solved next season...next season..

What games COULD we have won the first half? Obviously both UMass games, the 2 North Country games, RPI (if we had a better first period), the tie with Maine...Oh the possibilities. Being at the game last night you could feel, see the difference the team came out with and scoring those 4 quick goals. I don't think anyone at the 'Whitt saw that coming and it was a nice place to be! No idea if we have what it takes to go on a big run like last season, but I think we could surprise here and there. Not deluding myself, honest..

Still it's super fun to have the nations top 2 scorers!!!!! Soon it will be Hobey B time and I hope they put up TyK. He's the general out there and his work is highly commendable.
                          You were lucky to get that tie at Maine. To say that should have been a win is wishful thinking. Maine completely outplayed UNH for most of that game and put 50 shots on net. UNH had a hard time keeping the puck out of its own zone.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                            You were lucky to get that tie at Maine. To say that should have been a win is wishful thinking. Maine completely outplayed UNH for most of that game and put 50 shots on net. UNH had a hard time keeping the puck out of its own zone.
                            Congrats on your moral victory! Hang a banner!!
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Dan, you might have mistaken me for Umile. I was the one saying Clark should be #1
                              Well, I like the way you think!
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Well it certainly seems like Dartmouth has fallen back to earth. Hopefully there are no more flickers in the 2nd half as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X