This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    The game is "fun to watch" because they won. And not only did they win, but they had a couple quick strikes in the first period which gets the crowd into the game. Things leveled off in the third because UNH was comfortably in the lead. It's hard to remember when games like this was a common occurrence but I do recall times during the heyday where the boys would put their stamp on a game early on and coast to victory. Fans back then had that same "follow the leader" kind of approach that you saw Saturday night. Not wrong, not right, just the way it is.
    I also remember when the Cats would get an early big lead, and then sit back and cough up, or nearly cough up, the game. That was also when the Cats frittered away one PP opportunity after another by dinking around with the puck for two minutes looking for the perfect shot. In those ways, and in those ways only, I like this team better, playing from behind, and throwing everything but the kitchen sink on net.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I also remember when the Cats would get an early big lead, and then sit back and cough up, or nearly cough up, the game. That was also when the Cats frittered away one PP opportunity after another by dinking around with the puck for two minutes looking for the perfect shot. In those ways, and in those ways only, I like this team better, playing from behind, and throwing everything but the kitchen sink on net.
      I think of that as mostly a 70's thing. Charlie was a great coach for the offense, but defense was a sometime thing. I seem to recall a lot of 6-5, 8-7 games back then. The heyday I was talking about was the late 90's into the aughts. The defensive end of things was much more structured then. And while we should feel good about the game Saturday, just remember that Maine had the way better of the play the night before. Defense is still a sometime thing these days and, unfortunately, the offense isn't complete enough to withstand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        So you're the masochistic sort - spot the other guys a 1-2 goal lead ... and sweat it out from there?

You must have loved the 'Cats back in the mid-'80's. Lots of desperate, catch-up hockey back then ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          So you're the masochistic sort - spot the other guys a 1-2 goal lead ... and sweat it out from there?

You must have loved the 'Cats back in the mid-'80's. Lots of desperate, catch-up hockey back then ...
          ... and you've got 'em right where you want 'em.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
            As we left the Whitt my wife said , "that was a fun game to watch - kind of like the old days." I asked what she meant and she said, "i don't know, it just was." i agreed.
            At lunch today I told my wife that her "fun game to watch .. and old days" comment had initiated a few responses in the Fan Forum. She said, "Well I've been watching them since 1968 and know a fun game when I see one - win or lose."

I tried again, and asked her if she now knew what she had meant by the comment what she meant.

She said, "Well I'm still not sure but maybe it has something to do with "caring." You know there was even just enough chipiness after the whistles to indicate the players actually cared, and you could tell that most of the fans cared, even the coaches seemed to be into it. It was kind of like watching our daughters and grand-daughters play ice hockey - it was only "fun" for me when I thought they cared, gave it their best shot, and if they won it was even better. She came back a few minutes later and said:

"I just thought of this - remember the first game at the Whitt. Well I think that was a night when everyone, and I mean everyone, in the building seemed to care, showed how much they cared, and gave it their best shot."

I meekly said, "Not bad, not bad at all."

Comment

I think of that as mostly a 70's thing. Charlie was a great coach for the offense, but defense was a sometime thing. I seem to recall a lot of 6-5, 8-7 games back then. The heyday I was talking about was the late 90's into the aughts. The defensive end of things was much more structured then. And while we should feel good about the game Saturday, just remember that Maine had the way better of the play the night before. Defense is still a sometime thing these days and, unfortunately, the offense isn't complete enough to withstand it.
              No, I was thinking the aughts, after the run of FF appearances.

I would rather see our team play with a lead, but not sit back and cough it up by trying to be too cutesy with the puck, especially on the PP; "just shoot it!" Kinda' like the Patriots and their on-side punt yesterday. I do not think that sitting back on a lead is playing good defense. In any case, we have not been and will not be playing with many leads this season, so sitting back on leads not an option.

Comment

Yes, the majority of FOH members over the years are from the Seacoast. But if the program was wildly popular in places like Claremont, wouldn't a membership to the Friends be in order? I joined the Friends board in 1992, and was there through the ascendancy of the program. Building of the Whit, multiple 20+ win seasons, trips to the FF, etc. Believe me when I tell you that interest in the FOH ballooned every year. At one point we had over a 1,000 members and were the largest hockey booster organization in the country. I would assume that the success the program had would filter out to hockey fans throughout the state. Yet, there was little evidence that membership grew outside the Seacoast or Concord and Manchester. It just didn't happen.

As for the "process" surrounding the hiring and eventual promotion of Souza, it is what it is. Whether you feel it is justified or not, Dick Umile has an outsized influence on who succeeds him as coach. He's an alum, has coached the team for 25+ years, and brought it from the depths to the heights of national prominence. Those at UNH who are in a position to decide these things feel that Umile deserves to be listened to. You may think that this is awful, but it is the reality which has occurred in countless college programs in various sports. Coaches like John Wooden, Bo Schembeckler, Dean Smith, and soon-to-be-retired Jim Boeheim have all had this type of influence. Now you may not think Umile is in the same pantheon as those I just mentioned (I don't) but the fact is that the University has elevated him to that level. E cat, what you hope for and what is going to happen are two different things. Get it?
                Greg, I've come full circle on the DU "committee of one" picking his own successor issue. How else could the U and DU pull off his retirement in waiting without totally disrupting recruiting and a smooth transition? They really had no choice but to do it this way in order ensure continuity in the program. UNH Insider may have put out a picture of DU and Souza together with the goalie Robinson signing his NLI which bears this out. Carry on!
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: Maine Home-and-Home Series"
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

From the for what it is worth department, took my kids to the holiday party and it looks like Capt. Mac is going to be out for a while. Saw him on the bench with his jersey on, not skating, and his arm was tucked into his body like he had no strength. I asked if he had dislocated it and he said it had not been looked at, which to me says I can not say. Later he had had the sling on again.

With the 4th line now broken up, hopefully this gives an opportunity for line combination experiments to see if there is any magic in the bottle.

Comment

Chuck, Greg and wildcatdc,

I have never been a fan of UNH games at the Verizon Wireless. I do understand the reasoning as even 5000-6000 paying customers makes more money for the school than far less at the Whit (students, President, athletics and foundation use comp or reduced tickets). Students do not get free tickets to the Verizon and Maine games are generally a big draw. Our own football team and Patriots playoff games have reduced the gate significantly over the past few years.

I realize Chuck feels our season ticket-holders were mistreated over the past 5-6 years and now knowing he does not own tickets, he does not have a stake in the game. I feel the same way Greg does as my tickets at the Verizon are not close to my tickets at the Whitt and I asked and the Verizon and Foundation have many of the prime seats at center ice. For one game per year, I suck it up with our large gang of fans and enjoy it for what it is.

I know most organizations try to maximize their revenues and profits as UNH was not different when they started charging ridiculous amounts when we were in contention year in and year out. We had season tickets at 470 dollars per seat 5-6 years ago and most fans with UNH connection now pays 307 dollars per seat. I think this is a fair amount for excellent hockey. It is not as lively as Snively was and giving the students both ends until season ticket sales increase would be a good start. Student tickets were gone by early afternoon on Monday. This would fill more seats in the arena while school is in session. They also have under 13 kids club tickets for all sports for 165 dollars per year. This includes men's hockey tickets and football. They go out of their way to get kids excited about hockey and in the long run it is the best way (along with students who become addicted to UNH hockey while attending) to feed the future pipeline of fans.

Chuck, if you knew how few season ticket-holder's there are for football you would cough up a baby. Hockey is still king at UNH other than homecoming and some playoff games. It is more of a boozefest than diehard fans attending football games. When hockey is doing well and the games are not televised, we have more fans than almost all schools in hockey east. We hold a good position even after the financial meltdown and missing the playoffs regularly.

Hockey East attendance per game

2007-2008 NH, BC, Maine
                      2008-2009 NH, BC, BU
                      2009-2010 NH, Mass-Amherst,BU
                      2010-2011 BC, NH, BU
                      2011-2012 BC, Maine, NH
                      2012-2013 BC, NH, Lowell
                      2013-2014 BC, Lowell, UNH
                      2014-2015 BC, NH, Lowell (very little difference between the 3 teams)

I guess those complaining can give constructive advice to our athletic department and the marketing and ticketing departments within athletics. I am sure they are doing the very best that they can. I would prefer to have all of our home games at the Whit, have Maine as 2 home one year 2 away the next. I can live with the Portland/Manchester games mid-week in December and a trip up to VT in early January. It would be nice to get a few shutdown defense-men with some offensive skills, but we had one this year who did not get through our admissions. He was quickly accepted into UConn the same day UNH rejected him. I see the future as being bright as our incoming class is very good, our freshman and sophomores are taking on larger roles and let us hope we are competitive in hockey east the rest of this year.

Thanks to all for sharing their insights relating to our hockey team. I will predict a significant turnaround for our team and attendance if Snively65 and Chuck dig deep into the kids and grand-kids piggy banks to buy season tickets for the rest of this year and into the future. If they do not, maybe it is time they find a way to convince others to buy season tickets (even if it is for them to just be invited to games).

I hope I see you all this Friday night against Dartmouth. Happy Holidays for all!

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                        I know most organizations try to maximize their revenues and profits as UNH was not different when they started charging ridiculous amounts when we were in contention year in and year out. We had season tickets at 470 dollars per seat 5-6 years ago and most fans with UNH connection now pays 307 dollars per seat. I think this is a fair amount for excellent hockey. It is not as lively as Snively was and giving the students both ends until season ticket sales increase would be a good start. Student tickets were gone by early afternoon on Monday. This would fill more seats in the arena while school is in session. They also have under 13 kids club tickets for all sports for 165 dollars per year. This includes men's hockey tickets and football. They go out of their way to get kids excited about hockey and in the long run it is the best way (along with students who become addicted to UNH hockey while attending) to feed the future pipeline of fans.
                        I agree 100% with the first idea in bold above. I'd like to see them doing more of the latter, further out and away from a 10 mile radius around the UNH Durham campus though. Understood that to apply the "Claremont" debate between e.cat and Greg, you're not going to be trucking kids two hours across the state in each direction for a game every weekend (I'd do it when our kids were kids, and we'd do most of the road games, but I'm certifiable anyway). But Manchester isn't so daunting, and now is the best time in a dozen or so years to compete with the local minor league affiliate on quality of product. I just wonder if some folks at UNH even realize this?

Chuck, if you knew how few season ticket-holder's there are for football you would cough up a baby. Hockey is still king at UNH other than homecoming and some playoff games. It is more of a boozefest than diehard fans attending football games.
                        I honestly almost choked on dinner while reading that first bit. I am surprised Football season ticket sales are so low, though. I guess it's that "build it and they will come" naivete (sp?) that's building the new stadium. Good for them. I wish all involved nothing but the best, I really do. And I hope it takes off, just like the place across the street did two decades ago. A rising tide lifts all boats, right?

When hockey is doing well and the games are not televised, we have more fans than almost all schools in hockey east. We hold a good position even after the financial meltdown and missing the playoffs regularly.

2007-2008 NH, BC, Maine
                        2008-2009 NH, BC, BU
                        2010-2011 BC, NH, BU
                        2011-2012 BC, Maine, NH
                        2012-2013 BC, NH, Lowell
                        Based on the last few years ... perhaps I've been referring to the wrong Comm Ave. school as "Bandwagon Nation"??
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Thanks to all for sharing their insights relating to our hockey team. I will predict a significant turnaround for our team and attendance if Snively65 and Chuck dig deep into the kids and grand-kids piggy banks to buy season tickets for the rest of this year and into the future. If they do not, maybe it is time they find a way to convince others to buy season tickets (even if it is for them to just be invited to games).

I hope I see you all this Friday night against Dartmouth. Happy Holidays for all!
                          I live too far away from Durham to be a season ticket-holder, but still manage to attend about 10 games per year, home or away, regular and post-season, on average. Tsongas and Lawlor are a lot easier for me, especially for Friday games. But, this year, I am visiting Alfond, Portland Civic Center, the Gutt, and Hartford Civic Center for the first to see UNH play hockey. And, if a miracle occurs, I may be back at the Gahden for the third year in a row. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            UNH was picked from 6th to 8th in preseason polls...so they are right where they were predicted to be, perhaps even a bit higher given the games in hand.

Of course, those games in hand mean nothing if you don't win them. And they HAVE to take advantage of the soft middle third of the schedule they are in now. Gets a bit tougher in the final part.
                            Felger, fun watching (no sound in bar) your namesake talk about the Bs come from behind win over Habs tonight. Still waiting for the Felger and Murray show debue.

Comment

Twenty-some years ago, I made my first post on US College Hockey Online as an impressionable middle school student (Chuck & Bobo were excellent role-models!). I started my first thread and put forth to the masses a simple query. "Why don't Granite State rivals UNH and Dartmouth play an annual game," I wondered. The USCHO community was unimpressed, rattling off any number of reasons why the two programs wouldn't play, didn't have the same mission or weren't true rivals, but the powers that be hung on my every word! A few short years later a modern rivalry was born. To the victor go the River Stone!

15 year's later, there is apparently still very little USCHO interest in this game, but my enthusiasm has not yet waned - our Seacoast pride remains at stake!

Fortunately - as was the case last weekend - while UNH is no good, our opponent is worse! I like our chances! Dartmouth has allowed nearly four goals per game this season and in spite of the fact that we will likely see the youngster Devin Buffalo (who has come on strong in relief of the struggling upperclass goalies) I'd imagine Poturalski and Kelleher smell blood in the water...
                              Last edited by Dan; 12-09-2015, 10:53 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

I have never been a fan of UNH games at the Verizon Wireless. I do understand the reasoning as even 5000-6000 paying customers makes more money for the school than far less at the Whit (students, President, athletics and foundation use comp or reduced tickets). Students do not get free tickets to the Verizon and Maine games are generally a big draw. Our own football team and Patriots playoff games have reduced the gate significantly over the past few years.

I realize Chuck feels our season ticket-holders were mistreated over the past 5-6 years and now knowing he does not own tickets, he does not have a stake in the game. I feel the same way Greg does as my tickets at the Verizon are not close to my tickets at the Whitt and I asked and the Verizon and Foundation have many of the prime seats at center ice. For one game per year, I suck it up with our large gang of fans and enjoy it for what it is.

Chuck, if you knew how few season ticket-holder's there are for football you would cough up a baby. Hockey is still king at UNH other than homecoming and some playoff games. It is more of a boozefest than diehard fans attending football games. When hockey is doing well and the games are not televised, we have more fans than almost all schools in hockey east. We hold a good position even after the financial meltdown and missing the playoffs regularly.

2007-2008 NH, BC, Maine
                                2008-2009 NH, BC, BU
                                2010-2011 BC, NH, BU
                                2011-2012 BC, Maine, NH
                                2012-2013 BC, NH, Lowell

I guess those complaining can give constructive advice to our athletic department and the marketing and ticketing departments within athletics. I am sure they are doing the very best that they can. I would prefer to have all of our home games at the Whit, have Maine as 2 home one year 2 away the next. I can live with the Portland/Manchester games mid-week in December and a trip up to VT in early January. It would be nice to get a few shutdown defense-men with some offensive skills, but we had one this year who did not get through our admissions. He was quickly accepted into UConn the same day UNH rejected him. I see the future as being bright as our incoming class is very good, our freshman and sophomores are taking on larger roles and let us hope we are competitive in hockey east the rest of this year.

I thought UConn had the largest per game attendance last year and they are second to Lowell this year
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X