This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

First of all, kudos to the 'Cats for continuing their weird hex against Coach Leaman and his defending D-1 champion Friars. You all saw my prediction, and Friday night fit the "close loss" scenario. I was on my way to my usual Saturday night commitment when I heard PC getting what sounded like a pretty typical weakly-defended goal to go up 1-0 early in the first period. So I figured last night would be the blowout I was expecting. Thrilled to have missed that one by a mile.

Not to get ahead of things ... but it sure would be nice to see UNH steal another victory out of next weekend's road tests. The way HE is playing out this season, there are 5 teams competing at the top (I'll let you all guess which one I see as the imposter), then there are 6 teams vying for best seeding possible for the make-believe, phoney-baloney first round of the semi-playoffs ... and traditionally bringing up the rear is UMass Amherst ( ... this is a recording ... ) - BTW how bad do those two early season ties with them look right now? My modest goal for UNH for the remainder of this season is to finish 8th or above (up to 6th is arguably within reach), give its fans 2 bonus home games (you can call them playoffs if you like), and *maybe* earn the chance to get waxed in the HE Quarters. Wild card scenario, UNH draws NICC in the quarters, and exposes their fraudulency (although if they then go on to "do a PC" I promise I'm gonna hurl ) to make a surprise trip back to Boston, where Lowell grinds them out with another typical 1-0 *blowout*. But I digress ...

... here I want to revisit bomber's most recent post, and highlight what I found to be some of the more interesting points. There's a lot of pro-Borek stuff in there that I'm tempted to filter out ... but there are a few shiny nuggets mixed in which (at least to me) logically outline how some of the off-ice dynamics we've been discussing may be impacting the program ...

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
    I know I'm singing the same one note song, but here's my take. The defense lost one dman although huge he didn't play 60 minutes a night. You alienate a kid in his sophomore year that had the same amount of points his fresh year as Tyk his freshman year in fewer games played. He bolts. The other piece missing from last year moved to coach the defense during last year when he'd traditionally coached PP and forwards. What has/is the communication been like from the coaches.

If youve just transitioned to a new team with no leadership you have no idea the pulse or chemistry so you really can take little blame. If you were told by your AD that you don't cut it as an HC at your alma mater, how much are you going to buy in? If you retired 4-5 years ago and you're suddenly thrust back into leadership after your AD tells your enabler that he has no future here, what are your odds of getting back into step even if you wanted to do it? What happens in 2+ years when their is a change and your recruits that have committed can decommitt without penalty, aka Gouldreat/ NU take another look?

My opinion is that if SB were given a written opportunity he wouldn't have let this happen! First the decommitts wouldn't have happened. Second you wouldn't have had to renegotiate the commits that stayed for fulls from halves, that includes some of the blue chips still coming!

And finally even f you are an extremely motivated young athlete, what message are you receiving? Is the apathy contagious? What is the message? They've mailed it in!

Nothing can be done now just go forward from here. The AD has to his job and correct this in 2016 not 2018!
    Certainly, some very interesting takes on Stewart's role, and where he finds himself in the forthcoming Souza regime, not to mention the "emperor has no clothes" take on the post-Borek Umile.

And frankly, a lot of this rings entirely true (to me anyway). The program seems rife with half-hearted commitments, and it may very well be that Coach Souza is really the only fully motivated, fully committed coach in the program right now. It's been one of the reasons I've been asking the questions about Coach Stewart's long-term prospects with the program since the day he was bypassed for Souza.

One guy on his way out, giving 80% effort towards a meaningless number ... another guy a little ticked off he wasn't given consideration for a job he probably feels he was at least equally qualified for than the (younger) fellow alum who got the nod ... and the heir apparent, who is now trying to pick up the slack for at least one (if not both) of his fellow coaches. All topped off by a complacent AD who is clearly focused on other things, and has lacked the guts to make the big decisions, as so well pointed out in Greg's most recent post.

Complacency ... apathy ... dysfunction ... I really hate to put a damper on the positive on-ice developments from last night, but the road back to any kind of D-1 prominence won't stand a chance until those three issues are entirely uprooted from the program. Those will not be easy calls, but make no mistake, they will be necessary decisions ... and I'm not sure the guy we currently have in place has the, er ... wherewithal to be making those calls. JMHO.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      One guy on his way out, giving 80% effort towards a meaningless number ... another guy a little ticked off he wasn't given consideration for a job he probably feels he was at least equally qualified for than the (younger) fellow alum who got the nod ... and the heir apparent, who is now trying to pick up the slack for at least one (if not both) of his fellow coaches. All topped off by a complacent AD who is clearly focused on other things, and has lacked the guts to make the big decisions, as so well pointed out in Greg's most recent post.

Complacency ... apathy ... dysfunction ... I really hate to put a damper on the positive on-ice developments from last night, but the road back to any kind of D-1 prominence won't stand a chance until those three issues are entirely uprooted from the program. Those will not be easy calls, but make no mistake, they will be necessary decisions ... and I'm not sure the guy we currently have in place has the, er ... wherewithal to be making those calls. JMHO.
      I'm looking forward to the next episode of the "How the Fieldhouse turns" [popcorngif]

Not sure I saw what C-H-C posted as an "interesting" post-game handshake. I was expecting a Jerry Springer type chair throwing....a disappointing episode.

edit: looks like Coach Stewart is out recruiting. Notice that David Quinn even showed up.. gasp... a head coach showing interest in kids. And no, a pasta dinner with the grandkids doesn't count.
      https://twitter.com/CoachToffey/stat...84060343668736
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-31-2016, 04:24 PM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

In followup to Chuck's reminder above about the importance of the two ties with UMass early in the season, I add that the same might be said about the 1-goal losses to St Lawrence, Clarkson, and RPI. With these five additional wins, the Cats would have been 11-3-2 instead of 6-6-4 up to December 12th, worthy of our previous thread title "Champions of December." During this time frame, DU played his all-senior first "checking" line inordinate minutes, including as first unit on the PP. Also during the first 13 games, when these two ties and three 1-goal losses occurred, the captain was -13, with no assists and one goal. Athough the goal was unassisted in the 6-6 tie with UMass, the captain was also on the ice a lot in the third period during the UMass comeback from being down 6-1. If UNH had won these five games, they would be 5-7-2 instead of 3-7-4 in HE, good for a tie with UVM for 6th instead of a tie with UMO for 9th. Moreover, with these five wins, the Cats would be 14-10-2 instead of 9-13-4 overall, probably good for a top 20 in the PWR instead of 36th. So, despite lack of talent on the blue line and in net, a probable result of inattention to recruiting by the HC, I ask could better decisions on the ice by the HC have made a difference in where our team is at the moment? For a non-HC factor, what if AC had not gone onto the DL with shoulder surgery after his two wins over, at the time, two ranked teams, Union and Merrimack? Sure, the team really misses Pesce this season, but these early departures happen to many teams, and the good ones survive just fine.
        Last edited by Snively65; 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          In followup to Chuck's reminder above about the importance of the two ties with UMass early in the season, I add that the same might be said about the 1-goal losses to St Lawrence, Clarkson, and RPI. With these five additional wins, the Cats would have been 11-3-2 instead of 6-6-4 up to December 12th, worthy of our previous thread title "Champions of December." During this time frame, DU played his all-senior first "checking" line inordinate minutes, including as first unit on the PP. Also during the first 13 games, when these two ties and three 1-goal losses occurred, the captain was -13, with no assists and one goal. Athough the goal was unassisted in the 6-6 tie with UMass, the captain was also on the ice a lot in the third period during the UMass comeback from being down 6-1. If UNH had won these five games, they would be 5-7-2 instead of 3-7-4 in HE, good for a tie with UVM for 6th instead of a tie with UMO for 9th. Moreover, with these five wins, the Cats would be 14-10-2 instead of 9-13-4 overall, probably good for a top 20 in the PWR instead of 36th. So, despite lack of talent on the blue line and in net, a probable result of inattention to recruiting by the HC, I ask could better decisions on the ice by the HC have made a difference in where our team is at the moment? For a non-HC factor, what if AC had not gone onto the DL with shoulder surgery after his two wins over, at the time, two ranked teams, Union and Merrimack? Sure, the team really misses Pesce this season, but these early departures happen to many teams, and the good ones survive just fine.
          well you know what they say...'woulda, coulda, shoulda'. I've watched this team in just about every game this season, and there were times when the chemistry of the team just didn't click. It's taken time to gel but they have shown they can be highly competitive. This weekend, esp Saturday, saw a few players really step up their game (like Eiserman) and I hope and pray that continues.

Pesce's loss IS/was big, but tell that to NIIC with the loss of their big gun they have survived and in fact even tho BC handed it to them this weekend they are a highly competitive bunch, despite what some here have wanted for them! Hanafin leaving BC, Eichel leaving BU...the difference is they have the horses just coming up through the ranks. Other teams are surging like NU and I could go on. What about the 'Cats? 8 games left...and it IS unfortunate that our beginning didn't turn out like we or the team hoped. Those ties to UMass...ugh. Not to mention injury, losing Fogele, have all had their toll on our season.

Is it too little, too late now that certain line changes have happened, (loved the play of the 'first line' over the weekend) our GK has come back to a good form? Some of his saves Sat. night wow, you could say, he 'stole it' when it really mattered. He deserves some HE props for his weekend I'm thinking!

All we can do is go forward, but your points are certainly well taken...oh, and nice to see your Bentley boys getting some positive press on the USCHO! I know don't encourage him Onward 'Cats!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-01-2016, 08:00 AM.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

DT receives HE DPOW (as I had hoped he would for his efforts over the weekend!) Well deserved..but honestly HE get a new pic of him. harrumph.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...602/feb1wr.php

ps thought this was interesting, stole it from the HE tourney thread below...oh, those ties..

http://www.playoffstatus.com/hockeye...icnumbers.html
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-01-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              Leaman wants Umile to leave more than Chuck does.
              Great line from Jon, who gets huge props for sticking with his Friars for as long as I can remember through various versions of the USCHO website, and deserves to enjoy what looks like the dawn of a great era for PC Hockey.

Now ... just to clarify briefly, I am not necessarily on the "Umile Out" campaign. IF Coach was out there doing EVERYTHING his job as HC requires - and at D-1 Hockey that means sweating the details on recruiting (including actual recruit visits, making sure transcripts are in place, knowing what's being offered, and intervening with Admissions as needed), not delegating it to a trusted assistant so you can go fishing with the saved spare time - then I would still be backing him to finish up his UNH coaching career on his terms.

Based on what I'm hearing from multiple trusted sources, that's not happening, and it's not been happening for some time. Shame on me for trusting it was happening, and that Coach Umile was fully engaged in ALL of the responsibilities of running a successful D-1 program. But shame on Coach for putting himself in front of his program's continued success.

Coach just has to be honest. Look in the mirror. Ask himself if he's really still up to all the demands of a successful D-1 hockey coach. And accept that if the answer is "yes", then his involvement in the areas where he's pulled back in recent years has to change.

And then the toughest questions of all ... am I capable of accepting these changes, and how that will impact my life at this stage? And will it make an actual, measurable difference ... or is it too late, and has that ship sailed?

We all make mistakes. If there is some indication that Coach knows he's made mistakes, and is committed to righting the wrongs in the relatively short time he has left with the program, then I can live with that.

But if he wants to continue to play "Mr. Delegator" and pretend to be a D-1 hockey coach, count me out.

Comment

Our 9 wins have come against today's PWR teams as follow: #7 (PC), 15 (Dartmouth), 26 (Union), 41 (Mac), 45 (tie, Bentley), 49 (3x, Maine), and 59 (AIC).

Our 4 ties against #41 (Mac), 45 (tie, 2x, UMass), and 49 (Maine).

Our 13 losses against #55 (2x, Mich State), 30 (UVM), 28 (2x, NU), 27 (St Lawrence), 24 (Clarkson), 14 (RPI), 11 (UML), 10 (2x, NICC), 7 (PC), and 6 (BC).

Our 8 remaining games are against #6 (BC), 8 (2x, BU), 11 (UML), 30 (2x, UVM), and 43 (2x, UConn).

UNH is currently 9-13-4, #36 PWR. So, if UNH wins the two games that we are supposed to win (2x, UConn), we finish the season at 11-19-4 overall (assuming no more ties), avoiding the ignominious single-digit wins or 20 losses, with HEA record of 7-13-2 (again, assuming no ties), likely locking down 9th and a road visit in the first HEA round.

Comment

Coach just has to be honest. Look in the mirror. Ask himself if he's really still up to all the demands of a successful D-1 hockey coach. And accept that if the answer is "yes", then his involvement in the areas where he's pulled back in recent years has to change.

And then the toughest questions of all ... am I capable of accepting these changes, and how that will impact my life at this stage? And will it make an actual, measurable difference ... or is it too late, and has that ship sailed?

We all make mistakes. If there is some indication that Coach knows he's made mistakes, and is committed to righting the wrongs in the relatively short time he has left with the program, then I can live with that.
                  Cripes, first you put him in a Beemer, now you have him self-aware. How hard did you hit your head?
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Your past posts have indicated to me that your not "gullible." Narcissism always triumphs over the greater good. I do not believe you will "live with that" in the future months.

Comment

Sigh, Bean Pot on with the reminder from the announcer that "these teams have so much to look forward to, this, HE Championship then of course, the NCAA tournament"....The way we played Saturday night proves to this observer (and I know the PC fans were disgruntled with their teams play all weekend) that UNH can put together a great game. Still hopeful we make some noise this year somewhere. Like this weekend... Lots of hard work has gone into this season along with adversity, they deserve it. Go 'Cats! Already 1-0 BC ugh.
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Sigh, Bean Pot on with the reminder that "these teams have so much to look forward to, this, HE Championship then of course, the NCAA tournament"....The way we played Saturday night proves to this observer (and I know the PC fans were disgruntled with their teams play all weekend) that UNH can put together a great game. Still hopeful we make some noise this year somewhere. Lots of hard work has gone into this season along with adversity, they deserve it. Go 'Cats! Already 1-0 BC ugh.
                        Ah ..... me thinks your "beginning" to allow some of the affect associated with being a UNH Men's Hockey fan .... (particularly the last 8-9 years) .... welcome aboard .... and good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                          Ah ..... me thinks your "beginning" to allow some of the affect associated with being a UNH Men's Hockey fan .... (particularly the last 8-9 years) .... welcome aboard .... and good luck with that.
                          Well I have to say that I just want to see the program succeed really enjoy the games and all that go along with it. It's a great program and I'm glad to be following it! Sure it has been disappointing I mean it has this season but it's part of being a fan and I look forward to see what's next for the 'Cats after this past weekend. Figure I'm in it for the long haul at this point! Plus, it's cool to mix it up with some of you guys at the 'Whitt and that' been well worth it. Watching this Beanpot game we will have some fun with the Eagles Friday...uber physical.

Oh and to Bill? When you walked by me and said "they'll get 'em Saturday Ref" at PC Friday it was awesome...now there's...a great fan.
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Well I have to say that I just want to see the program succeed really enjoy the games and all that go along with it. It's a great program and I'm glad to be following it! Sure it has been disappointing I mean it has this season but it's part of being a fan and I look forward to see what's next for the 'Cats after this past weekend. Figure I'm in it for the long haul at this point! Plus, it's cool to mix it up with some of you guys at the 'Whitt and that' been well worth it. Watching this Beanpot game we will have some fun with the Eagles Friday...uber physical.

Oh and to Bill? When you walked by me and said "they'll get 'em Saturday Ref" at PC Friday it was awesome...now there's...a great fan.
                            ...... and the operational definition of a .... "not great fan" would be ??

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              ...... and the operational definition of a .... "not great fan" would be ??
                              Just admire those who always keep the faith which is not always an easy thing to do. A fan has to take the good with the bad but I've never thought it was wrong to have opinions when things aren't going well. Prefer not to descend into negativity it's too easy for me! Carry on.

Comment

'Watcher and sonar - as two of the elders on here whose opinions I respect greatly, I have only two words:

Mea culpa

I'm still a sucker for a great redemption story. But honestly, my hopes of it ever happening are pretty dim.

And every time I fact-check bomber's latest posts and validate the content, I just get all over again ...

Comment

Working...
                                X