This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Bomber - my apologies in advance for dragging your recent post regarding Coach Umile on the UNH-UMaine "Wheels on the House" thread over to this thread, but figured it might be around awhile longer this way ...

Fascinating stuff, and a compelling look behind the curtain IF there is accuracy (and you've had good info in the past). Never imagined there was ever a "Borek/Stewart" plan until your previous recent posts on the subject of Coach Borek. Are we to assume from your post that Stewart is now happy, too?

And did Coach Umile "retire" in some sense 5-7 years ago, or was that meant to read "should have retired"?
    I can't speak for Stewie's present state but I'm told he wanted answers when this first transpired, being an alum, 100 point club, 13 years of coaching and recruiting at schools where hockey mattered. Why no look see, Marty told essentially to pound sand. And yes should have retired, now he hurting the school he loves. He Hung it up a few years ago just at full salary. Again I take no pleasure in writing this but I heard about all the frustrations behind the curtain, for at least 5 years. It's a shame, the recruiting landscape ain't getting any easier, big 10, ASU how long until a PAC 12? Hockey's not a regional sport anymore. Can't fall behind now!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

"UNH Captain's Corner: Review of First Half of 2015-16 Season"
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Reading between the lines, it's hard to imagine seeing MacDonald back on the ice this season.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Glad to see what actually happened on that first goal; couldn't tell what happened from where we were sitting. As for the rest of them, obvious UVM was one step ahead most of the night and the OT goal? Completely left uncovered. And I couldn't feel worse for CMacD with his injury. Glad he's taking it in stride and I'm sure he's a vital part of the team.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            And I couldn't feel worse for CMacD with his injury. Glad he's taking it in stride and I'm sure he's a vital part of the team.
            I feel bad for him - check. I'm glad he's taking it in stride, too - check. Two out of three ain't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I feel bad for him - check. I'm glad he's taking it in stride, too - check. Two out of three ain't bad.
              Chuck....I know from the get go you never thought he was 'captain material' and frankly I'm going to say that he is absolutely a vital part of this team in leadership. I held my tongue on the earlier convos regarding this but I'm going to say it's just plain callous that you would discount him even in his time of injury. But this board isn't the place for compassion now is it? Over and out...I'm just too soft for this I guess. Should stick with the cheerleading...sigh.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-05-2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Glad to see what actually happened on that first goal; couldn't tell what happened from where we were sitting. As for the rest of them, obvious UVM was one step ahead most of the night and the OT goal? Completely left uncovered. And I couldn't feel worse for CMacD with his injury. Glad he's taking it in stride and I'm sure he's a vital part of the team.
                Agree with everything here. Thanks to Mike for the interview with Collin, which had to be a tough one wth his last question. As for the video clips, wrap-around goal by Pots looked even more amazing than it did to me at the opposite end of the rink. On the first UVM goal, I had a better view than that shown in be video; at the JAR, that puck would have been blown dead, as it would have hit the roof. I think that UVM, especially with Privitera and Munson playing so well, is going be tough at the Whitt next month. But, cannot look ahead to those games, with the Riverhawks (Ospreys?) coming to the Whitt this Friday.

Comment

Just being honest on the realities of the situation, HR. Yeah, I have plenty of compassion for the injury, as MacDonald has been snakebit over large stretches of his UNH career, no doubt. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. That has to be (very) frustrating to him, which comes through in C-H-C's interview. And it looks like he's handling the situation as well as anyone could expect him to. Kudos to him.

That's compassion from my standpoint ... but pretending he's a "vital part of the team" is straining for praise with platitudes, if not just plain outright patronizing, and (yet again) puts him well above his station IMO. Just like his teammates did back in April.

The word vital is defined as "absolutely necessary or important".

Who deserves to be considered "vital"? Poturalski and Kelleher for sure, probably Tirone (more for the lack of depth behind him than for All-HE level performance, which isn't there yet), probably Correale for filling the on-ice captaincy void, and probably Cleland who gets the key minutes for the team on the blue line. As a concept, it's "vital" that there be more scoring depth up front, and the recent streak has confirmed the importance of that ... and it's "vital" that the defense develops an ability to transition the puck out of its own zone better.

MacDonald has been replaced on the ice by Jamie Hill. Is anyone referring to Hill as a "vital part of the team"? I doubt it. But since he took the role opened by MacDonald on the Maginot Line, that line has consistently played much better - no? And the team turned things around with a six-game unbeaten streak. MacDonald dressed for only one (1) of those games - the 3-3 tie in Orono, when he got hurt.

MacDonald still has the worst plus/minus (-6) of the UNH forwards, while Hill is a more respectable -1. Hill has outperformed MacDonald in every measurable category, and passes the eye test too as the better of the two players when he's out there. Gaudreault and Smith have both played much better in recent weeks with Hill skating on their right wing. Literally, the only regular player on the roster who is not outscoring MacDonald this season is Danny Tirone ... and that's only by a single point.

Ironically, it was the same players who made the decision to pick MacDonald as their captain, who are now showing in his absence that their captain is not the "vital" presence they expected (hoped?) him to be.

That's the players' collective fault, and Coach Umile's fault for not overriding their decision. I'm not blaming MacDonald for being the same player he always has been ... and "vital" just doesn't fit the bill. Sorry.

You say "callous" ... I say "objective".

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                    I can't speak for Stewie's present state but I'm told he wanted answers when this first transpired, being an alum, 100 point club, 13 years of coaching and recruiting at schools where hockey mattered. Why no look see, Marty told essentially to pound sand. And yes should have retired, now he hurting the school he loves. He Hung it up a few years ago just at full salary. Again I take no pleasure in writing this but I heard about all the frustrations behind the curtain, for at least 5 years. It's a shame, the recruiting landscape ain't getting any easier, big 10, ASU how long until a PAC 12? Hockey's not a regional sport anymore. Can't fall behind now!
                    Won't speak much about the Stewart situation although, I will say, if Stewart is so po'd, why is he still here? if your description of Scarano's retort is accurate, I wouldn't be surprised. Marty's people skills aren't the best. As for Umile, you're pretty cavalier about somebody else's career. Umile started this season at age 66. From the looks of it, you wanted him to retire at 60, if not earlier. As I said yesterday, why would someone want to retire early from a job he loves and is well paid just so somebody else can allegedly do the job better. Umile rightfully has a lot of confidence in his ability. Where his confidence in his ability has been misplaced at times is his confidence in others. While some of us could see the obvious here, the administration chose not to call him out on his decisions on who he retains or hires. Inaction by Marty and others is based on two things, the respect for the man and the terms of the deal they made almost 16 years ago.

Comment

Reading between the lines, it's hard to imagine seeing MacDonald back on the ice this season.
                      -13 in 13 games

Comment

Just being honest on the realities of the situation, HR. Yeah, I have plenty of compassion for the injury, as MacDonald has been snakebit over large stretches of his UNH career, no doubt. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. That has to be (very) frustrating to him, which comes through in C-H-C's interview. And it looks like he's handling the situation as well as anyone could expect him to. Kudos to him.

That's compassion from my standpoint ... but pretending he's a "vital part of the team" is straining for praise with platitudes, if not just plain outright patronizing, and (yet again) puts him well above his station IMO. Just like his teammates did back in April.

Who deserves to be considered "vital"? Poturalski and Kelleher for sure, probably Tirone (more for the lack of depth behind him than for All-HE level performance, which isn't there yet), probably Correale for filling the on-ice captaincy void, and probably Cleland who gets the key minutes for the team on the blue line. As a concept, it's "vital" that there be more scoring depth up front, and the recent streak has confirmed the importance of that ... and it's "vital" that the defense develops an ability to transition the puck out of its own zone better.

MacDonald has been replaced on the ice by Jamie Hill. Is anyone referring to Hill as a "vital part of the team"? I doubt it. But since he took the role opened by MacDonald on the Maginot Line, that line has consistently played much better - no? And the team turned things around with a six-game unbeaten streak. MacDonald dressed for only one (1) of those games - the 3-3 tie in Orono, when he got hurt.

MacDonald still has the worst plus/minus (-6) of the UNH forwards, while Hill is a more respectable -1. Hill has outperformed MacDonald in every measurable category, and passes the eye test too as the better of the two players when he's out there. Gaudreault and Smith have both played much better in recent weeks with Hill skating on their right wing. Literally, the only regular player on the roster who is not outscoring MacDonald this season is Danny Tirone ... and that's only by a single point.

Ironically, it was the same players who made the decision to pick MacDonald as their captain, who are now showing in his absence that their captain is not the "vital" presence they expected (hoped?) him to be.

That's the players' collective fault, and Coach Umile's fault for not overriding their decision. I'm not blaming MacDonald for being the same player he always has been ... and "vital" just doesn't fit the bill. Sorry.

Bottom Line:

UNH with MacDonald in the line-up 3-6-4

UNH without MacDonald in the line-up 5-1-0

Actually I see some similarities between this situation and that of 2011-12, when Mike Borisenok was a captain. MB started the season on the top line....UNH was massacred in first three games....by the time the World Series started Borisenok was skating third line and actually played on the 4th line during part of that season.

Difference this season seems to be that DU was a bit slower to make the move with MacDonald
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          As for Umile, you're pretty cavalier about somebody else's career. Umile started this season at age 66. From the looks of it, you wanted him to retire at 60, if not earlier. As I said yesterday, why would someone want to retire early from a job he loves and is well paid just so somebody else can allegedly do the job better. Umile rightfully has a lot of confidence in his ability. Where his confidence in his ability has been misplaced at times is his confidence in others. While some of us could see the obvious here, the administration chose not to call him out on his decisions on who he retains or hires.
                          Greg
                          Bomber's observations were based not on his age, but on his refusal to do any more heavy lifting.
                          That comports with my own observations in our 2012 discussion about Umile's lack of involvement in getting kids and then seeing that they get into school
                          see
                          http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5414473

It also comports with what we saw once Borek left, and a lot of players felt they had no connection to Umile.

So, to speak for Bomber, its not his age why he should have retired, it was that he no longer had the desire to perform the obligations of his job.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

I get what/where you are coming from from a statistical point of view. And I'll be honest, it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I know he's doing what he can as far as supporting the team even in his limited, at this point, not on the ice role. I am aware of his statistics but appreciate the reminder.

Comment

Yeah, I missed the "vital," which was probably the wrong word choice, HR.........unless the team is now playing for their ailing captain? "Oh, captain, my captain!" Thanks for the comparison to Borisenok, Felger; without looking up his numbers, he did have better junior year stats than MacDonald, I think? And, his family helped us get a Jumbotron!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Agree with everything here. Thanks to Mike for the interview with Collin, which had to be a tough one wth his last question. As for the video clips, wrap-around goal by Pots looked even more amazing than it did to me at the opposite end of the rink. On the first UVM goal, I had a better view than that shown in be video; at the JAR, that puck would have been blown dead, as it would have hit the roof. I think that UVM, especially with Privitera and Munson playing so well, is going be tough at the Whitt next month. But, cannot look ahead to those games, with the Riverhawks (Ospreys?) coming to the Whitt this Friday.
                                Agree on the Pots wrap around it WAS more amazing seeing it on the tape...UVM...we have a 1-4-0 record with them the past three (?) seasons. They always play us tough...and it will be tough at the 'Whitt. Speaking of UML... what IS a Riverhawk, anyway?? (A team we haven't had that much success with either in the past 2-3 seasons going 2-5 including Regionals/HE games if I have my numbers right!) Now's a good time to start but know it's gonna be tough going.

Ps...I won't be starting a game thread...someone else maybe?
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X