Standard Ice Size Coming Soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Ice Size Coming Soon?

With comical timing in relation to Lucia's proposal, UNO coach Dean Blais is reportedly going to propose a standard ice surface in college hockey, presumably NHL-size rinks. Article is from the St Cloud Times: http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/...inks/76642764/

So the coach who just got a brand new on-campus arena with the "gamesmanship" design in the bench and penalty box layout doesn't like playing at SCSU because their rink gives them an advantage? This should make for an even more fun coaches meeting in April.
    BGSU Class of 2017

Re: Standard Ice Size Coming Soon?

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
    So the coach who just got a brand new on-campus arena with the "gamesmanship" design in the bench and penalty box layout doesn't like playing at SCSU because their rink gives them an advantage? This should make for an even more fun coaches meeting in April.
    Now, that is interesting. Particularly since both he and Trev Alberts have both been quite adept at publicly patting themselves on the back here on the issue of the bench placements at Baxter Arena, always being very careful to point out that what they did is perfectly legal (which it is).

This would seem to talking out of both sides of one's mouth. What's good for the goose apparently isn't what's good for the gander.

Comment

Technically, this is already in the rule book, although they use the phrase "as close as possible", so places build 200x90.

Comment

The three words that stood out to me from Critical Thinker's post:

"Comical, Blais, and Gamesmanship."
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

What would be the cost to retrofit the Herb Brooks center to NHL ice? Seems like a significant change with how the seats are lined up along the glass. Would either have a 7 foot space between the glass and seats or you would put in an extra row or two of seats, but then you wouldn't have stairs. May lead to issues with the last three rows being the same height.

Comment

Originally posted by RL3AO View Post
            What would be the cost to retrofit the Herb Brooks center to NHL ice? Seems like a significant change with how the seats are lined up along the glass. Would either have a 7 foot space between the glass and seats or you would put in an extra row or two of seats, but then you wouldn't have stairs. May lead to issues with the last three rows being the same height.
            I don't know about cost, but I can tell you that UW has looked at it for the Kohl Center and as far as I have heard, they cannot come up with a really workable solution.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              I don't know about cost, but I can tell you that UW has looked at it for the Kohl Center and as far as I have heard, they cannot come up with a really workable solution.
              I can imagine it being an even bigger issue for an arena like the Kohl Center. Even if you ignore the seating changes at the Brooks Center, its still seems like a major project to move all the boards, the benches, the scores table/booth, and change the refrigeration stuff underneath the ice.

Comment

This would be another big FU to the small schools with old (eg, full of character) rinks. And those with Olympic sheets too.

Comment

I don't see how you can pass this and force those schools with Olympic sheets to change them. I could see all new construction requiring it, but there is no way you're going to force the schools with large ice to change it now.

And out of curiosity what was done at the new area with bench placement that is gamey?
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                    And out of curiosity what was done at the new area with bench placement that is gamey?
                    It's set up similar to the NMU Berry Events Center in that the Home and Away benches are on opposite sides of the ice with the penalty boxes on the home team side. I believe MTU also has a similar setup.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      It's set up similar to the NMU Berry Events Center in that the Home and Away benches are on opposite sides of the ice with the penalty boxes on the home team side. I believe MTU also has a similar setup.
                      Ah, I'm so used to that at the MacInnes that other places look weird
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

So, you gonna make everyone build new arena's? Cause when the NCAA rulebook was set to Olympic Size I didn't see Blais the Clown build an Olympic Size rink In Grand Forks.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          So, you gonna make everyone build new arena's? Cause when the NCAA rulebook was set to Olympic Size I didn't see Blais the Clown build an Olympic Size rink In Grand Forks.
                          Isn't the aux rink at the Ralph Olympic sized?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi
                            Baxter Arena is 200' x 85' if that is what you were referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Isn't the aux rink at the Ralph Olympic sized?
                              What's the relevance of that? None.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X