PDA

View Full Version : UNLV To DI?

Pages : [1] 2 3

goldy_331
12-03-2015, 01:15 PM
http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/12/more-hockey-in-vegas-unlv-looking-to-go-division-1/

Ralph Baer
12-03-2015, 01:24 PM
http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/12/more-hockey-in-vegas-unlv-looking-to-go-division-1/

Hopefully they know they can't have 21-year-old freshmen. :)

FlagDUDE08
12-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Here we go again... which alum won a bundle at the craps table to make this happen?

JohnsonsJerseys
12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
The first hurdle both Khan and UNLV must jump through is to find the proper funding to fuel a successful hockey program.
So other than the fact someone wrote an article, UNLV is really no closer to having a team than the Univ of HI Rainbow Warriors. When they have money in hand, then it will be a story.
Ryan J

SanTropez
12-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Just think of all the blow and strippers for the UNLV Hockey recruits!

dynasty...

Critical Thinker
12-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Well, it takes $30 million to start a program, if that group of donors can come up with it... the UNLV athletics department isn't going to turn it down. This happening at the same time as the NHL franchise bid is certainly interesting.

Wisko McBadgerton
12-03-2015, 01:43 PM
So other than the fact someone wrote an article, UNLV is really no closer to having a team than the Univ of HI Rainbow Warriors. When they have money in hand, then it will be a story.
Ryan J

Does anybody have actual money in hand in Vegas? Maybe they just put 10k on Denver to beat New England last week. Now to let that ride through the playoffs, and when the Super Bowl pays off we have Runnin' Rebel Hockey!

aparch
12-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Just a reminder, if it happens, it will be the second team to come to the "desert." And that there are still ZERO schools in Illinois thinking about making the jump. The last was Illinois, prior to the renovation of Assembly Hall and it got shot down very quickly.

goldy_331
12-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Ryan JWell, no the Rebels have a club team and someone interested in bringing them to DI, doubt the Warriors have any of that. It's not much, but it's something.:p

Jimjamesak
12-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Here we go again... which alum won a bundle at the craps table to make this happen?
This is UNLV, chances are those alums are part of the house.

omahasioux1
12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I haven't heard of this until today. Texted a local sports source and he said a high probability in 2-3 years. Told me they are approaching Foley for help. Take it for what it is worth.

Wisko McBadgerton
12-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Well, it takes $30 million to start a program

$40 million. You're forgetting the Vegas skim.

FlagDUDE08
12-03-2015, 03:05 PM
If they get a team, does this mean people will be able to start putting money on college hockey games? ;)

altazo
12-03-2015, 04:40 PM
So, a former club player at Arizona State now works for UNLV's club program (ACHA D2?) and thinks he knows what it takes to elevate the program to NCAA Varsity status?

Wisko McBadgerton
12-03-2015, 05:28 PM
So, a former club player at Arizona State now works for UNLV's club program (ACHA D2?) and thinks he knows what it takes to elevate the program to NCAA Varsity status?

I'm sure this reflects poorly on my narrow midwestern upbringing, but I have to admit, when I started that article I sure thought "Zee Kahn" was going to be a tech billionaire.

Jimjamesak
12-03-2015, 05:34 PM
It really isn't too far fetched if they get the money. They have a rink, the Thomas & Mack Center can host hockey. There is a hockey fanbase, the ECHL had a successful team there. Again, they get the money, it could work.

mookie1995
12-03-2015, 06:14 PM

not friggin rocket science.

JohnsonsJerseys
12-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Well, it takes $30 million to start a program...
Once you get that, all there is left to get is money for a rink... Say another $50M or so.

Texted a local sports source and he said a high probability in 2-3 years.
So says every team who has every wanted D-I hockey, then the fundraising starts and the dream dies when reality sets in.

I agree that he knows what it takes. Everyone on this board knows what it takes. About $80M.

they get the money, it could work.We can just pin the post to the top and close the thread.
Ryan J

Spartanforlife4
12-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Can't they just play at the MGM arena? Or, since I'm guessing the Vegas NHL team is going to have to share MGM with a lot of other events, they could add a few thousand seats to a practice rink near UNLV's campus.

Jimjamesak
12-03-2015, 10:14 PM
They have a rink. UNLV owns the Thomas & Mack Center which has a rink.