UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

UNO coming off a home sweep of OSU, SCSU coming off a road sweep of the Gophers. SCSU in jeopardy of losing ground to UND for the top spot in the NCHC, UNO in jeopardy of falling from a top-4 spot in NCHC.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Re: UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Gotta love the NCHC. UND, UNO, and Denver (plus Minnesota) in four weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      UNO coming off a home sweep of OSU, SCSU coming off a road sweep of the Gophers. SCSU in jeopardy of losing ground to UND for the top spot in the NCHC, UNO in jeopardy of falling from a top-4 spot in NCHC.
      Too bad there isn't more hockey to play.
      UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by RL3AO View Post
        Gotta love the NCHC. UND, UNO, and Denver (plus Minnesota) in four weeks.
        Yeah, that list of series almost reminds of the other league I used to know.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Speaking of unleashing the Murray, what did Murray do/say to Brodzinski and Lettieri? They both blew a gasket.

North Dakota was calling him the loompa loompa. W. Mich the Minions. What's next?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
            Speaking of unleashing the Murray, what did Murray do/say to Brodzinski and Lettieri? They both blew a gasket.

North Dakota was calling him the loompa loompa. W. Mich the Minions. What's next?
            Every time I see Murray play he gets under the opposing team's skin. He's a great on-ice troll, really works at getting SCSU an extra PP or two each game. Mark Parrish was talking about during one his broadcasts earlier this season.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Every time I see Murray play he gets under the opposing team's skin. He's a great on-ice troll, really works at getting SCSU an extra PP or two each game. Mark Parrish was talking about during one his broadcasts earlier this season.
              He and Papa never stop talking on the ice.
              Those two on the same line could end up being quite annoying.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                He and Papa never stop talking on the ice.
                Those two on the same line could end up being quite annoying.
                Then add UMD's Farley...

Comment

We find out whether we are "frauds" or not this weekend. There is enough to look at to be concerned.

UNO, despite being 11-2-1, has been outshot 466-392 so far this season. That gives UNO a Corsi number of 45.7%. Ugh.

In the last period of hockey played by UNO, against Ohio State this past Saturday night, the all time program record for shots on goal in a single period against us by an opponent was broken.

Until this past Saturday night, UNO had more short-handed goals than power play goals. Even after getting three power play goals on Saturday night, the Mavs power play is still only ranked 50th in D-1 and still has only 7 power play goals for the entire season.

We have a losing record when outshooting the opponent and are undefeated when being outshot.

And, 61% of our entire offense has been generated by 5 players.

UNO has won exactly 2 games, ever, on the National Hockey Center's Olympic sized ice.

Finally, UNO has the 2nd worst SOS of any team in the current top 16 of Pairwise.

I don't know what to make of all this. Either we have been terribly bored with who we've been playing and have sorta been slackers or we have been extraordinarily fortunate. This weekend will easily be the most telling games we have played so far this season. Your guess is as good as mine as to what this weekend will bring.

I know this much, though. SCSU would be well advised to pay particular attention to where and what Ortega and Guentzel are up to when they are on the ice. I have seen all but 2 of UNO's games this season and I have yet to see a player that has been able to skate with Ortega. He has taken his game up another notch even from last season. He has been so good that you can literally tell when he is on the ice because he causes utter havoc out there. And, Evan Weninger has exceeded my wildest expectations of him so far in goal. He has been phenomenal for a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    I know this much, though. SCSU would be well advised to pay particular attention to where and what Ortega and Guentzel are up to when they are on the ice.
                    I doubt they will. Motzko probably doesn't even know who this Ortego guy is.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing Ortega in person from the student section.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        I doubt they will. Motzko probably doesn't even know who this Ortego guy is.
                        Think mustaches and taco shells, sauces and seasonings.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                          UNO, despite being 11-2-1, has been outshot 466-392 so far this season. That gives UNO a Corsi number of 45.7%. Ugh.
                          I hate stats that people make up in order to try to create trends. Corsi does nothing to reflect the quality of the shot attempt, only that it happened.

UNO had a Corsi of 48.4% last year which was 43rd in the country. They were out shot 2265-2121 for the season, yet somehow ended up in the Frozen Four.

I guess I just don't care about getting out shot as much as I care about getting outscored.
                          UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
                            I hate stats that people make up in order to try to create trends. Corsi does nothing to reflect the quality of the shot attempt, only that it happened.

UNO had a Corsi of 48.4% last year which was 43rd in the country. They were out shot 2265-2121 for the season, yet somehow (i.e., we got phenomenal goaltending) ended up in the Frozen Four.

I guess I just don't care about getting out shot as much as I care about getting outscored.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post

UNO had a Corsi of 48.4% last year which was 43rd in the country. They were out shot 2265-2121 for the season, yet somehow ended up in the Frozen Four.

The CORSI can be used to show time of possession. But, like you said, what good is time of possession if all the shots come from the perimeter? I'd rather see a comparison of scoring chances for and scoring chances against, but that could be seen as a highly subjective stat and easily manipulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X