• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

So much fear

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      You view a paid (or mostly paid) college education as nothing? If a guy gets an 80% ride at SCSU and stays 4 years, that's worth about $71K, it ain't nothing, and it ain't semantics.
      Keebler doesn't pay its employees in crackers, but if they did at least the employees could turn around and sell the crackers to get what they really want, which is money. Your scenario discounts the fact that the education costs nearly nothing to the school and that the college education may be worthless to the guy.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Keebler doesn't pay its employees in crackers, but if they did at least the employees could turn around and sell the crackers to get what they really want, which is money. Your scenario discounts the fact that the education costs nearly nothing to the school and that the college education may be worthless to the guy.
        I do understand that a SCSU education would be worthless, you and your buddies keep demonstrating that on this board. ;-)

Comment

Ok then; how about the free meals, coaching services, training services, medical services, and so on that are provided to an athlete?

Comment

Save the semantics lesson for someone else. They aren't getting paid.
            Tell that to a family that can't afford college for their child.
            Bentley University Hockey
            On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              I do understand that a SCSU education would be worthless, you and your buddies keep demonstrating that on this board. ;-)
              Ha. Are all St. Cloud people this dumb?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                The NCAA restricts age in all D-1 and D-2 sports. Waivers can be granted, of course, but eligibility begins to be affected the year after your high school class graduates. Hockey and Skiing currently allow for delayed enrollment until after your 21st birthday. In other words, Hockey has an exemption now to 21. Most all other sports don't.
                uh, try all BYU sports.

Comment

Save the semantics lesson for someone else. They aren't getting paid.
                  They are getting paid, and the academic and athletic package they receive from the school has value.

The issue is that unlike in capitalism they are unable to negotiate up to fair market value as the schools and NCAA have colluded to fix the price below market value for the athletic services of many (not all) of the athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                    Ok then; how about the free meals, coaching services, training services, medical services, and so on that are provided to an athlete?
                    Which one of those doesn't mutually benefit the school? All of those are there to make sure the athlete performs at their best for the benefit of the school. If the athlete was paid, he could pay for those things on his own. If you gave the athlete the choice between the current system, and a system where they had to pay for their own tuition and housing but there would be a free market for his services, no football, baseketball or hockey players would choose the first one. And no school would offer less than the cost of tuition, because it doesn't cost them any extra money to let another person into a classroom to listen to a professor.

If college sports is a business, and people in this country worship capitalism, why are we putting a cap on what a college athlete can make? It should be a free market shouldn't it?
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      Tell that to a family that can't afford college for their child.
                      Find me the family that can't afford college for their child that would be against their child being paid with money instead of getting a scholarship.

Comment

Painful argument

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          Would be a good thing for this to pass.

Though the ezac teams and north dakota would be bitter i'm sure, no more 25 year old canadians playing for them.
                          http://www.collegehockeynews.com/alm...cts-ageavg.php
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Which one of those doesn't mutually benefit the school?
                            Who get's paid for work that doesn't benefit the payer?
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Full disclosure...I am a BC fan. While I don't particularly love the idea of 21 year old freshmen etc my stance has softened on that over the years. First, Jerry York has had plenty of success nationally while almost always having the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the country. It hasn't prevented BC from winning and winning big. So even if BC voted for this, it makes sense to me that this was started by the Big Ten schools. Wisconsin stinks on ice, Minnesota hasn't won since 2003, Michigan last won in 1998, Michigan State has been an average program the last five years or so.

If you want/need older freshmen, bring it on. It really doesn't bother me that much at all. I may joke about it but I will never use it as an excuse when BC loses. Never.
                              Nice, you may hate this, but I agree with everything you just said

Comment

Average age is not what we need to look at. We need count of would be ineligible players currently on each team that would have had to come in earlier. Without raw data pulling this does not sound fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X