Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age. --Jim Steinman "Everything Louder than Everything Else", Bat out of Hell II.
    To be fair, Steinman wrote that while in his early 40's.

He also went to college at 18. Imagine that!
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Awesome
      Yup, got trolled pretty good there.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Frankly I think this is a complete joke. I'm really peeved this is coming from my team. It's embarrassing.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          To be fair, Steinman wrote that while in his early 40's.

He also went to college at 18. Imagine that!
          Yes and he was old enough to be jealous of those who went out and lived their lives
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
            How sporting of you to decide what's clearly in the best interest of someone you've never met before...
            I would be happy to fix your problems for you over the internet, too.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              I'm impressed with the backlash this is getting. I'm intrigued to find out what Lucia or other coaches responses will be on this subject.
              If they're doing it right they're going to say, "G F Y".

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              But now that he is currently 32-39-11 (.457) as a head coach, it's apparently all the small schools fault in recruiting "overaged canadians" that his team sucks and can't win games.
              Where was it written this is the reason for the proposal?

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
              “So they are looking out for their program, and I am looking out for ours."

There it is. The rest is window dressing.
              In context I think he's more saying, "Bite me" and pointing out the hypocrisy of the whining about the proposal.

[edit]One other thing about the B1G regarding the student athlete - they have been pushing to have a mandatory redshirt year in FB for a few years. Is that because the B1G can't compete in that sport?
              Last edited by Slap Shot; 11-27-2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                Suggesting that "comments from conference commissioners" makes the process inclusive when 22 programs won't have a voice when it comes to a vote is monumentally naive.
                I read the first sentence and you lost me. When you quote please try to be accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  I would be happy to fix your problems for you over the internet, too.
                  Great! Here's my current problem. The Minnesota hockey coach is acting like a creep (not the word I want to use to describe his behavior, but I'm sure you get the idea). Can you use your internet problem-solving powers and get on that for me ASAP? Maybe talk some sense into him? Appreciate it, you're the best.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    I read the first sentence and you lost me. When you quote please try to be accurate.
                    Conference commissioners mean of those conferences which support many D1 sports. Thus conferences like the AHC, WCHA, NCHC, HEA, and ECAC (less sure on this one) do not get a vote. The conferences they belong to for all other sports (America East, Patriot League, Ivy League, MAC, etc.) do get a vote. I imagine the 22 programs (or 36.67% of all the teams in NCAA D1) are the teams which hockey is their play up sport.
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Listening to the Gopher post game show, and Lucia was on there talking. I was in the process of turning off the broadcast when I hear Lucia say, "...and it's especially disappointing when it's some older guy..." and that's where when I had hit the switch. Morley scored SCSU's first goal of the night. Morley is a 25yo senior, so I think that's where Lucia was going with it.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                          Conference commissioners mean of those conferences which support many D1 sports. Thus conferences like the AHC, WCHA, NCHC, HEA, and ECAC (less sure on this one) do not get a vote. The conferences they belong to for all other sports (America East, Patriot League, Ivy League, MAC, etc.) do get a vote. I imagine the 22 programs (or 36.67% of all the teams in NCAA D1) are the teams which hockey is their play up sport.
                          That's the trade-off the schools made when they chose to play up in any sport: you may not get to sit at the table when the decisions are made. You want a seat you have to elevate all your athletics to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Listening to the Gopher post game show, and Lucia was on there talking. I was in the process of turning off the broadcast when I hear Lucia say, "...and it's especially disappointing when it's some older guy..." and that's where when I had hit the switch. Morley scored SCSU's first goal of the night. Morley is a 25yo senior, so I think that's where Lucia was going with it.
                            St. Clown, you have just explained 90% of the conspiracy theory nonsense going on in this thread.
                            Lucia was talking about it being frustrating to see his veteran players making mistakes....C. Reilly wandering away from Benik leaving him open to score the GWG, and Bischoff taking the penalty to put SCSU on the PP where they scored the tying goal. The full quote was "it's especially disappointing when it's some of the older guys making those mistakes." He was talking about the veteran guys on his own team.

I get that it's always nice to have a villain, and the Big10 has done plenty oblige. There is enough wrong with the way this proposal is being introduced to have everyone more than a little upset. But the illogical and irrational conclusions so many are jumping to is just ridiculous.

This proposal is going to do something, anything, 1 iota, to bring more 18yos into college hockey?
                            The team that has won more games than anyone else over the past 4 seasons is changing the rules because they are fed up with losing?
                            Multiple schools are going to drop their programs if this proposal takes effect?
                            Somehow all of the Big 10 relies on blue-chip true-freshman when Ohio St. has more players who would be affected by this than Tech, or Union, or Quinnipiac, or Providence, or Yale, or Duluth, or St. Cloud (or any number of other programs)?

This proposal would hit some schools very hard. Some meaning a handful. And they are pretty much all Atlantic Hockey and mid-bottom tier WCHA teams. Or put another way, teams that aren't going to really be competing for NCAA Tournament births (let alone FF appearances or National Titles) regardless. I'm all on board with saying these are teams that don't need to be kicked while they are down, but extrapolating that this is going to give the Big 10 some sort of significant advantage is pure fantasy.

I'll say it again. This proposal is the result of zealotry, not underhanded gamesmanship.
                            Last edited by Stauber1; 11-27-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              That's the trade-off the schools made when they chose to play up in any sport: you may not get to sit at the table when the decisions are made. You want a seat you have to elevate all your athletics to D1.
                              I call BS on that. A school like Michigan Tech was playing "D1" hockey long before there were any rules and to say that they should just become D1 in everything if they want a seat at the table is BS. Hockey is unique and there is nothing wrong with it being different. The Big Twn shouldn't get a special advantage in changing the rule of a sport that is so heavily setup with play-ups.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
                                Accuracy, not understanding is the issue. That was very clear in my post.

Comment

Working...
                                X