No announcement yet.

Panther Cardinal classic - Five Teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Cardinal classic - Five Teams?

I'm looking through my schedule for the Panther-Cardinal classic tournament for next weekend. It looks like there are five teams playing: Middlebury, Plattsburgh, Elmira, Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and Gustavus Adolphus.

Friday - Midd vs Elmira
    Saturday - WSP vs Plattsbugh, GA vs Elmira
    Sunday - GA vs Plattsbugn, Midd vs WSP

While I don't mind seeing 5 of the top 10 teams all playing locally, does anyone have any more info on how and why setup happened?

Re: Panther Cardinal classic - Five Teams?

Originally posted by tjoneslo View Post
    I'm looking through my schedule for the Panther-Cardinal classic tournament for next weekend. It looks like there are five teams playing: Middlebury, Plattsburgh, Elmira, Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and Gustavus Adolphus.

Friday - Midd vs Elmira

While I don't mind seeing 5 of the top 10 teams all playing locally, does anyone have any more info on how and why setup happened?
    Maybe to avoid a potentially 4th Plattsburgh/Elmira match-up? Remember they could have met in the opening weekend tournament.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by tjoneslo View Post

Friday - Midd vs Elmira

If I recall correctly it was actually a scheduling mishap where five teams were accidentally scheduled for this year. So they made lemons out of lemonade and put together a pretty cool schedule with all teams getting two games. I'd love to catch some of it but Norwich is hosting the PrimeLink on the guys side this year which means a crazy weekend ahead for me.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        If I recall correctly it was actually a scheduling mishap where five teams were accidentally scheduled for this year. So they made lemons out of lemonade and put together a pretty cool schedule with all teams getting two games. I'd love to catch some of it but Norwich is hosting the PrimeLink on the guys side this year which means a crazy weekend ahead for me.
        Did they forget they already invited one of the Western teams and then invited the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
          Did they forget they already invited one of the Western teams and then invited the other?
          That doesn't seem very likely. My guess is it was done on purpose. I think it's great. What a fun hockey weekend! I'd love to see more events like this in D1 and D3.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            That doesn't seem very likely. My guess is it was done on purpose. I think it's great. What a fun hockey weekend! I'd love to see more events like this in D1 and D3.
            I really don't think it was done on purpose.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

I really don't think it was done on purpose.
              I do not think it was done on purpose. Elmira is always in the P/C; Gustavus was subbed in for Amherst last season. I am guessing Coach Ninnemann just wanted a chance to get back to Kenyon (site of her former glories and the closest the west ever came to the DIII title!). It did look like there was some scrambling with adjustments to the schedules as they were announced.

Comment

I'm really intrigued to see how the Western teams do. In my opinion Gustavus is probably down this year, still good, but not as good as the 2-3 years ago. Stevens Point seems to be all over the place. Close wins over the MIAC, splits with River Falls and then loses/ties Superior who just lost/tied Eau Claire. Here's hoping Stevens Point beats Plattsburgh so by proxy Superior is the best team in the land.
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                  I'm really intrigued to see how the Western teams do. In my opinion Gustavus is probably down this year, still good, but not as good as the 2-3 years ago. Stevens Point seems to be all over the place. Close wins over the MIAC, splits with River Falls and then loses/ties Superior who just lost/tied Eau Claire. Here's hoping Stevens Point beats Plattsburgh so by proxy Superior is the best team in the land.
                  How about Point beats Plattsburgh and Midd beat Point???

Comment

NSN will webcast the Middlebury-Elmira game Friday at 4 and the two Sunday games (Gustavus-Plattsburgh and Middlebury-Stevens Point) at 1 and 4.

Comment

If I recall correctly it was actually a scheduling mishap where five teams were accidentally scheduled for this year. So they made lemons out of lemonade and put together a pretty cool schedule with all teams getting two games...
                      Whoa. If they can start out with a glass of lemonade, and convert it into a lemon with skin, seeds, pulp and all, they've really accomplished something remarkable.

Of course your meaning was perfectly clear; I just couldn't resist. And it does sound like a great weekend of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Whoa. If they can start out with a glass of lemonade, and convert it into a lemon with skin, seeds, pulp and all, they've really accomplished something remarkable.

Of course your meaning was perfectly clear; I just couldn't resist. And it does sound like a great weekend of hockey.

Should have drank another glass of OJ before that post.

Thanks for understanding.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                          Yes, that is exactly what happen. Not known if it was by mistake or intentional. That would be for our NESCAC smarty pants to explain. One school had committed, another school thought the committed school had changed it's mind and was not going so another school was invited and they accepted. Then when the first committed, forgotten about school, inquired about details the problem(mistake) was realized and corrected by going to five teams instead of four.
                          4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                          SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all you coaches, players, parents and just plain old fans!!!
                            Hope to see you all in Kenyon this weekend.

Comment

Doesn't matter how it happened. It's a great idea and I'd love to see more events like this!

Comment

Working...
                              X