Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota hosts SCSU: 11/27 & 11/29

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    I'm not saying a hockey game can't be boring. But in regards to discussing Gopher hockey, I might be frustrated when they have a bad game but I'm never bored with it. I played minor league hockey, yet I've always taken an approach as a student of the game. There's always something to learn. A lot of fans don't like the pace of a trap game. From a player perspective, a well executed trap is not as easy as it looks to the average fan. I'm ok with it, it's one strategy of the great game of hockey. Good luck with that game tomorrow man!
    Yeah, you probably know a lot more about the game than I do. I've paid attention to pros discussing the intricacies of the trap game, and how it can be technically difficult to play, however it still makes for a boring fan experience for a good 90% of the people in the stands and those watching on TV - the two groups of people paying a good portion of the bills. Jacques Lemaire created/perfected that system to win championships, and winning will cure a lot of that boredom for the hometown fans, but it caused me to stop watching the NHL after I graduated from college because the entire league adopted it. Two teams keeping the puck between the blue lines makes for a very boring game of hockey when that's all you see week in and week out. Watching a 0-0 OT game can be exciting if there is great goaltending and they both have 30 saves with solid scoring chances. One of the best games I can remember ever watching was Canada and the Czech Republic playing for gold in the '98 Olympics. Hasek put on an absolute clinic, taking that game into OT entirely by himself.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I don't feel that way. But I do feel the Gophers laid an egg in recruiting this year. I can't imagine us playing dominating hockey until this group is mostly gone.
      Feel like 'rebuilding', but 'reloading'. We won't really know for a few years, but it is the age-old argument (or maybe decade and a half) of how many blue-chippers versus 3-4 yr guys is the best make-up for the team. The blue-chippers don't stick around long but tend to contribute more immediately (despite some claiming little correlation between draft status and college play). And with the non-blue-chippers, it is more likely an individual plateaus and never contributes as much as hoped. If BU holds onto all the blue-chippers they have lined up, looks like we might get another chance to judge the opposing recruiting paths. Of course, using winning the NC probably isn't the best measure, given that in a one and done, it is not uncommon for the team that seems to be most talented to fall short.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        Schierhorn definitely doesn't look to be an egg.
        As for the skaters, I see a number of guys who look like they could stick around 4 years and be more than solid building blocks for dominant teams in the future.
        Schierhorn looks to be the real deal. Novak often stands out for shifts. And getting Seeler was clearly a good deal. But I also agree, that among the others, they tend not to have those flashes for part of a game that suggest they might become a force in the future. Most seem solid, but remind me more of a Letteri type player. Maybe it is just that it seems like there have been more players in the last few years who didn't seem to progress as much as expected (2 yrs ago, I though by now Kloos and Fasching, if still around, would be in the discussion for Hobey, the way they played as freshman, and that Cammy would look much better.) I am not on the Lucia can't develop players bandwagon either. Bridstedt seemed underwhelming compared to expectations last year but is looking like he could become the biggest threat on the team. Just would like to see more guys like Schmidt who just seemed to jump in ability every year. And I am sure a lot of this for me is the negativity of letting two potential wins slip away in a row. Maybe we have a few Boyds in this class. I don't remember him striking me as a star his freshman year but definitely became a difference-maker.

Comment

It's going to be great when Big 10 hockey finally is competitive. I think they're at least ahead of Atlantic hockey. That's pretty good. Maybe in a few years they can pass up the WCHA.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            I don't feel that way. But I do feel the Gophers laid an egg in recruiting this year. I can't imagine us playing dominating hockey until this group is mostly gone.
            I know its a brutal subject, but the Gophers now officially need to expand their recruiting geography. The game has changed and way too many elite players from many, many different states.

Comment

oops. and provinces and countries.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                I'm not saying a hockey game can't be boring. But in regards to discussing Gopher hockey, I might be frustrated when they have a bad game but I'm never bored with it. I played minor league hockey, yet I've always taken an approach as a student of the game. There's always something to learn. A lot of fans don't like the pace of a trap game. From a player perspective, a well executed trap is not as easy as it looks to the average fan. I'm ok with it, it's one strategy of the great game of hockey. Good luck with that game tomorrow man!
                The trap requires a ton of discipline to execute even more discipline to counter.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Can't wait till Big 10 can compete.
                  SCSU beat an entire conference last night? They must be really good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    I can't tell if you're serious?
                    Schierhorn definitely doesn't look to be an egg.
                    As for the skaters, I see a number of guys who look like they could stick around 4 years and be more than solid building blocks for dominant teams in the future.
                    The problem is, we basically had to replace half of our line-up....losing 9 guys who played every game (out of the 19 who play in any single game) is a pretty big hit...and so asking freshman to step in and fill that hole is a pretty tall order.

Maybe you could criticize the recruiting plan, in that we needed to get some guys in earlier to get them seasoned or pick up 1 or 2 really high-caliber freshman coming in for this year, but when you had so many guys who you had to prepare for leaving early then end up stick around last year, that makes it a little tough to plan 2-3 years out.
                    Yeah, I'm serious.

I did forget about Schierhorn who is almost undoubtably the best goalie to come out this year. Having said that, Novak looks like he could turn out to be a pretty good support set up guy. But all in all, too many recruits too little scoring threats for the sheer volume of skaters added. Of course, we'll see. But I have my concerns.

I almost never think that you should aim to load up on OK players that will stick around for 4 years. There are too many to have that be your recruiting policy. And even great players that don't make it to expectations will turn out to be OK players that hang around 4 years. You go for the stars and you won't get them all. And there are very few players that leave after one year (Eichel) and not a large number that leave after two. Even Johnny Hockey and Bjugs stuck around for three.

I'm not criticizing the 'recruiting plan'. I'm lamenting that it was a combination where we missed on a couple of our recruits and lost out on a couple others. I don't fault the staff. It happens. But it has happened. When you're Minnesota, you compare yourself to the best. BU has what 5 A rated skaters to watch and maybe a B rated player. MN has a single B rated player. Don't quote me, but I think that's the score.

Having said all that, I'm of the opinion that all this changes in two years. We will be getting the stars when Middelstadt, Reedy, Walker, Nelson, Maniscalco, Zuhlsdorf get here. And that staff will have done nothing different to deserved both what appears to be this years plight and the upcoming motherload.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Huh? It was the best crowd on the year. Most every seat was filled, other than the students' sections as they were on break.
                      Really? When the game started nobody was there.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        That and 'best crowd of the year' are not mutually exclusive.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Guy in front of me thought the game started at 7 so he didn't show up until the 2nd period
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                            Guy in front of me thought the game started at 7 so he didn't show up until the 2nd period
                            Ok that makes sense.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              It was a very late-arriving crowd. Apparently there were many guys like the one in front of you.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                SCSU beat an entire conference last night? They must be really good!!
                                Wake me when the Big 10 is relevant.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X