PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota hosts SCSU: 11/27 & 11/29

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

4four4
11-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Don't tell Hammy. They're putting money in to making the rink smaller, after all!

Ha.

SteveO
11-27-2015, 09:57 PM
This new college hockey era is horrible. Every Gopher game feels like a non-conference game to the fans and more importantly the players. Rivalry with SCSU? No. MN State? No. BSU? No. UMD? No. It seems like the past three years all the old WCHA rivals are getting up for the Gophers but there is no urgency from fans or the players. I can't believe I am going to say this but the games are boring. Ugh.

The Gophers have had a few bad games this season, but never boring for me. As a hockey player myself, I might approach each game differently than the average fan though. Win or lose, I'll never grow tired of the traditional emphasis on speed, puck control, precision passing, and playmaking. I really like physical play we're getting from Nick Seeler on D too. This is a building year, so fan expectations are not high. But I still appreciate the intrastate rivalries and I didn't see fans lacking urgency at Mariucci tonight at all.

4four4
11-27-2015, 10:03 PM
The Gophers have had a few bad games this season, but never boring for me. As a hockey player myself, I might approach each game differently than the average fan though. Win or lose, I'll never grow tired of the traditional emphasis on speed, puck control, precision passing, and playmaking. I really like physical play we're getting from Nick Seeler on D too. This is a building year, so fan expectations are not high. But I still appreciate the intrastate rivalries and I didn't see fans lacking urgency at Mariucci tonight at all.

Other then the PWR the games don't mean anything. Obviously, it's going to take time for rivalries to develop in the Big Ten but how long? 5 years or 10 years? Maybe the Big Ten needs 8 teams so we have less non conference games.

SteveO
11-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Other then the PWR the games don't mean anything. Obviously, it's going to take time for rivalries to develop in the Big Ten but how long? 5 years or 10 years? Maybe the Big Ten needs 8 teams so we have less non conference games.

I hold the opposite of your opinion. At this point it looks like the Gophers will need an autobid to make the tourney, so conference games will be very important, so the PWR may actually be the component that's meaningless this season. I think Gopher fans tend to be impatient with the current conference structure because of the success and historical rivalries in the WCHA. My take is it will take time to build the conference, but I don't let that distract me from being a fan of the game and Gopher hockey. Illinois and Nebraska have been discussed as potential conference candidates. Illinois has a very good ACHA club team, as does Iowa and Nebraska.

St. Clown
11-27-2015, 10:21 PM

A lot of the people on this board play hockey. I have a game tomorrow morning where I'm playing against some guys well out of my league and a couple guys I'll make look foolish, that doesn't mean every college game I watch thrills me. When you know your team can play to a certain level, and you see them failing to perform that way, then it's both frustrating and boring. When your team skates to an 11-1 win, that becomes boring hockey because it lacks the drama of a solid game. When two teams are on the ice and neither team can complete a pass or hold on to the puck to create offensive zone pressure, that makes for a boring game. Boring games happen. Rivalry games make for fewer boring games as both teams are more likely to play their best hockey. So many non-conference games can lead to boring hockey. Conference games against the Wisconsin Trap and any system played by Ohio State will lead to boring hockey.

Tipsy McStagger
11-27-2015, 10:34 PM
The schools DON'T CARE. They don't give a ****!!! It's ruined college hockey and it's made every game non-conference boring game. I hate it.

I dunno. Lucia said it was probably the best team they will play all year. Whatever player I saw interviewed said the same thing. So I doubt they didn't care about this game. Unless they want to put all their eggs in winning the B1G

5mn_Major
11-27-2015, 10:35 PM
The schools DON'T CARE. They don't give a ****!!! It's ruined college hockey and it's made every game non-conference boring game. I hate it.

I don't feel that way. But I do feel the Gophers laid an egg in recruiting this year. I can't imagine us playing dominating hockey until this group is mostly gone.

Stauber1
11-27-2015, 10:42 PM
I don't feel that way. But I do feel the Gophers laid an egg in recruiting this year. I can't imagine us playing dominating hockey until this group is mostly gone.

I can't tell if you're serious?
Schierhorn definitely doesn't look to be an egg.
As for the skaters, I see a number of guys who look like they could stick around 4 years and be more than solid building blocks for dominant teams in the future.
The problem is, we basically had to replace half of our line-up....losing 9 guys who played every game (out of the 19 who play in any single game) is a pretty big hit...and so asking freshman to step in and fill that hole is a pretty tall order.

Maybe you could criticize the recruiting plan, in that we needed to get some guys in earlier to get them seasoned or pick up 1 or 2 really high-caliber freshman coming in for this year, but when you had so many guys who you had to prepare for leaving early then end up stick around last year, that makes it a little tough to plan 2-3 years out.

SteveO
11-27-2015, 10:49 PM
A lot of the people on this board play hockey. I have a game tomorrow morning where I'm playing against some guys well out of my league and a couple guys I'll make look foolish, that doesn't mean every college game I watch thrills me. When you know your team can play to a certain level, and you see them failing to perform that way, then it's both frustrating and boring. When your team skates to an 11-1 win, that becomes boring hockey because it lacks the drama of a solid game. When two teams are on the ice and neither team can complete a pass or hold on to the puck to create offensive zone pressure, that makes for a boring game. Boring games happen. Rivalry games make for fewer boring games as both teams are more likely to play their best hockey. So many non-conference games can lead to boring hockey. Conference games against the Wisconsin Trap and any system played by Ohio State will lead to boring hockey.

I'm not saying a hockey game can't be boring. But in regards to discussing Gopher hockey, I might be frustrated when they have a bad game but I'm never bored with it. I played minor league hockey, yet I've always taken an approach as a student of the game. There's always something to learn. A lot of fans don't like the pace of a trap game. From a player perspective, a well executed trap is not as easy as it looks to the average fan. I'm ok with it, it's one strategy of the great game of hockey. Good luck with that game tomorrow man!

The Rube
11-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Yeah, the PWR doesn't mean anything come tourney time. I'd rather play other MN schools just because I like to play other MN schools! It's all about that! Who cares about PWR?!

Seriously?

SteveO
11-27-2015, 11:01 PM

The progress Bristedt has made in just one season is very evident. The same will most likely happen to some of the freshman who are adjusting their game from juniors to D1. There's some very talented freshman on the team, but it always takes time to elevate the compete level from one tier to another. It's a building year.

omahasioux1
11-27-2015, 11:14 PM
BTN2Go, I believe.i actually got this game on tv out here.

D2D
11-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Went to game, just catching up on thread here. Have to say, SteveO knows what he's talking about!

Still, I'm VERY disappointed in the Gophers' play in the 3rd period. Once again - an all too familiar theme - they couldn't find a way to clear the puck out of their zone at critical moments...and way too long stretches when they were back on their heels. One really good period (the Gophers' 2nd) is just not going to get the job done against most any team, let alone one as talented as St. Cloud State.

4four4
11-28-2015, 12:05 AM
I dunno. Lucia said it was probably the best team they will play all year. Whatever player I saw interviewed said the same thing. So I doubt they didn't care about this game. Unless they want to put all their eggs in winning the B1G

It was a good game but I am disappointed nobody really showed up.

D2D
11-28-2015, 12:23 AM
It was a good game but I am disappointed nobody really showed up.
Huh? It was the best crowd on the year. Most every seat was filled, other than the students' sections as they were on break.

St. Clown
11-28-2015, 12:33 AM
I'm not saying a hockey game can't be boring. But in regards to discussing Gopher hockey, I might be frustrated when they have a bad game but I'm never bored with it. I played minor league hockey, yet I've always taken an approach as a student of the game. There's always something to learn. A lot of fans don't like the pace of a trap game. From a player perspective, a well executed trap is not as easy as it looks to the average fan. I'm ok with it, it's one strategy of the great game of hockey. Good luck with that game tomorrow man!

Yeah, you probably know a lot more about the game than I do. I've paid attention to pros discussing the intricacies of the trap game, and how it can be technically difficult to play, however it still makes for a boring fan experience for a good 90% of the people in the stands and those watching on TV - the two groups of people paying a good portion of the bills. Jacques Lemaire created/perfected that system to win championships, and winning will cure a lot of that boredom for the hometown fans, but it caused me to stop watching the NHL after I graduated from college because the entire league adopted it. Two teams keeping the puck between the blue lines makes for a very boring game of hockey when that's all you see week in and week out. Watching a 0-0 OT game can be exciting if there is great goaltending and they both have 30 saves with solid scoring chances. One of the best games I can remember ever watching was Canada and the Czech Republic playing for gold in the '98 Olympics. Hasek put on an absolute clinic, taking that game into OT entirely by himself.

Koho
11-28-2015, 09:21 AM

Feel like 'rebuilding', but 'reloading'. We won't really know for a few years, but it is the age-old argument (or maybe decade and a half) of how many blue-chippers versus 3-4 yr guys is the best make-up for the team. The blue-chippers don't stick around long but tend to contribute more immediately (despite some claiming little correlation between draft status and college play). And with the non-blue-chippers, it is more likely an individual plateaus and never contributes as much as hoped. If BU holds onto all the blue-chippers they have lined up, looks like we might get another chance to judge the opposing recruiting paths. Of course, using winning the NC probably isn't the best measure, given that in a one and done, it is not uncommon for the team that seems to be most talented to fall short.

Koho
11-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Schierhorn definitely doesn't look to be an egg.
As for the skaters, I see a number of guys who look like they could stick around 4 years and be more than solid building blocks for dominant teams in the future.

Schierhorn looks to be the real deal. Novak often stands out for shifts. And getting Seeler was clearly a good deal. But I also agree, that among the others, they tend not to have those flashes for part of a game that suggest they might become a force in the future. Most seem solid, but remind me more of a Letteri type player. Maybe it is just that it seems like there have been more players in the last few years who didn't seem to progress as much as expected (2 yrs ago, I though by now Kloos and Fasching, if still around, would be in the discussion for Hobey, the way they played as freshman, and that Cammy would look much better.) I am not on the Lucia can't develop players bandwagon either. Bridstedt seemed underwhelming compared to expectations last year but is looking like he could become the biggest threat on the team. Just would like to see more guys like Schmidt who just seemed to jump in ability every year. And I am sure a lot of this for me is the negativity of letting two potential wins slip away in a row. Maybe we have a few Boyds in this class. I don't remember him striking me as a star his freshman year but definitely became a difference-maker.

ScoobyDoo
11-28-2015, 10:21 AM
It's going to be great when Big 10 hockey finally is competitive. I think they're at least ahead of Atlantic hockey. That's pretty good. Maybe in a few years they can pass up the WCHA.

Ronnieb
11-28-2015, 10:48 AM

I know its a brutal subject, but the Gophers now officially need to expand their recruiting geography. The game has changed and way too many elite players from many, many different states. :)