Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers host the Denver Pioneers (11/20 & 11/21)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Badgers host the Denver Pioneers (11/20 & 11/21)

The Badgers (3-4-3) look to travel a little further down the road to respect when they welcome the 9th ranked Denver Pioneers (6-3-1) to the friendly confines of the Kohl Center this weekend for the 149th and 150th meeting of these storied programs. (UW leads all time 76-60-12)

The Badgers are coming off a road split with the UND Fighting Hawks, (blech) while the Pio's had a win and a kiss your sister at Duluth.

Game times are set for 7:30 Friday (ASN, BTN2go) and 8:00 CST Saturday. (BTNplus, TSN Canada)

Recent History: In 2012 the 1-7-2 Badgers headed to Denver looking for something (anything) good to happen at Magness. The Pio's generously defibrillated Bucky's season, and it turned out to be a prescription for the best record in college hockey the rest of the way. Last year, the Baby Badger's season was again in need of shock therapy, but the Pio's failed to deliver, sending Bucky out on a stretcher in a hard fought, 3-2 game. And the rest of that season, as they say, is history. (Thank God.)

Two things working against the Badgers for Friday:
    1.) Top line Center Cameron Hughes (shoulder) is doubtful.
    2.) Friday's game will be exactly like a home game for DU. Just like at Magness, there will 2-3 DU fans and several dozens of Badgers in the stands.

So, Hockey fans... can the Pio's again be just what the doctor ordered? Or will Bucky have to swallow yet another bitter pill?

ReadySetGo!
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers host the Denver Pioneers (11/20 & 11/21)

I cry a lot these days.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      I cry a lot these days.
      They'll be tears o' Joy when BUCKY TURNS OUT THESE WILL BUTCHER STEALIN' HEMP GROWIN' HILL HIPPIES FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Will Butcher OBVIOUSLY made the right choice. We just hope the Colorado Avs don't steal him away.
        Entrepreneurial classes are offered through the Daniels College of Business, but doubt there is a class specific to hemp growers.
        Not sure what hill hippies are. Is that like actually camping at Camp Randall or strolling/crawling down State Street or hockey players using fake IDs at the Kollege Klub?
        Hope the Pios put the lights out at Kohl Friday and Saturday night.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

I like to think that in the alternate universe in which 'uncle' Steve didn't convince Will to go to DU in order to never play for him that the CHL has also been marginalized and the Badgers are working on their 10th title.

Yes... I like to think that.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I have to say, this thread has completely met with my expectations.

Anybody want to take a stab at the Badger's lines this week assuming Hughes is out? Move Rocky up? Wagner? Soleway? Move Kunin over? Lot's of options but all have some drawbacks.

DU is not big but they are quick, and I think it's fair to say they are a little top heavy on talent, so it's probably going to be a pretty significant decision.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

As usual Wisko, you pose a great question, which is only part of why you're one of my favorite posters here.

I really think though, that it's pretty simple. Just move Soleway up to #1 and Wagner to #2. First, DU's top line cannot contend with big Jed's strength in the middle. And second, we need the puck and Jed is a faceoff king. He takes more draws, wins them, and we get it to Kunin and Besse on the wings. We're golden. Plus, Wagner gets more ice time which is great for us because that kid has a nose for the puck around the net.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                As usual Wisko, you pose a great question, which is only part of why you're one of my favorite posters here.

I really think though, that it's pretty simple. Just move Soleway up to #1 and Wagner to #2. First, DU's top line cannot contend with big Jed's strength in the middle. And second, we need the puck and Jed is a faceoff king. He takes more draws, wins them, and we get it to Kunin and Besse on the wings. We're golden. Plus, Wagner gets more ice time which is great for us because that kid has a nose for the puck around the net.
                I really find it difficult to argue with your obvious genius for hockey Wisko, but in this case I'm going to propose an alternative that I think has merit. Why not just leave Soleway Rockwood and Malone intact? Those guys are getting a really good feel for each other and have been producing good chances. Let's not tamper with it, and just put Wagner up top. His aggressive play has been shaking the puck loose a lot lately, and when it comes out, we have our two top scoring threats there to get it and go! The bottom six have all been playing together pretty well so we can just put Ustaski back in the line up, Freytag back on the third, mix and match and we're tough to play against top to bottom. Seems to make the most sense to me.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I really find it difficult to argue with your obvious genius for hockey Wisko, but in this case I'm going to propose an alternative that I think has merit. Why not just leave Soleway Rockwood and Malone intact? Those guys are getting a really good feel for each other and have been producing good chances. Let's not tamper with it, and just put Wagner up top. His aggressive play has been shaking the puck loose a lot lately, and when it comes out, we have our two top scoring threats there to get it and go! The bottom six have all been playing together pretty well so we can just put Ustaski back in the line up, Freytag back on the third, mix and match and we're tough to play against top to bottom. Seems to make the most sense to me.
                  You guys both make great cases, and state it all so well that I really can't believe I'm about to propose something else... but here goes: While it's true the Soleway line has been producing chances, I think that maybe having both Malone and Rockwood, both set up guys, on the same line is maybe not the best distribution of talent without Hughes in the line up. Move Rocky up top. He can dish it to either side and get Kunin and Besse the shots, which let's face it, really gives us the best chance of scoring. We give Ford or McGuire a chance to move up which adds speed to the second and gives Malone a chance to shine in the helper department. With Wags anchoring that third we better balanced and don't have to be double shifting as much. Plus the third is still an offensive threat. What do you think?
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I agree with Wisko.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Isn't Kunin probably the second best all around center after Hughes? I had thought originally, "Why not just slide him over?" But Wisko makes a great argument, so now I'm not so sure....
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Love the Soleway, Besse and Kunin idea. Or you could move Rocky into that slot, he's a similar player to Hughes, a skatey creative type. Wags, Malone and Soleway would be intriguing.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Love the Soleway, Besse and Kunin idea. Or you could move Rocky into that slot, he's a similar player to Hughes, a skatey creative type. Wags, Malone and Soleway would be intriguing.
                          I thought you were just going to agree with Wisko like the rest of us, but then I see you threw a little twist in there at the end. Interested to hear what Wisko thinks about this.

Elsewhere Pio media coordinator Samantha Rogan wrote an article about Will Butcher coming "home" (http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports...111915aaa.html ) in which she insists on abbreviating Wisconsin as Wisc. Man, that's some locker room bulletin board material right there.

I mean Wisc. Can you believe it??? This is WAR!
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Hold the phone! Wisko has just informed me that Baggott is saying Hughes has skated with the top line all week getting ready for the Pio's.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Hold the phone! Wisko has just informed me that Baggott is saying Hughes has skated with the top line all week getting ready for the Pio's.
                              This is exactly why I didn't chime in earlier on this topic. Eaves said "doubtful" but I know for a fact that Hughes is one tough homme. (that's French!) You guys are always going off half-cocked and jumping to conclusions around here. (Looking at you, Wisko.)
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                              X