Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Breslow Ice Hockey Center, Lincoln, NE - Opening December 2015

https://www.facebook.com/John-Breslo...1852641556170/

Even though the University of Nebraska's new dedicated hockey arena, currently nearing completion is, AHEM, "being built for the club team", I've made no secret in several threads that I think this facility, despite pronouncements by the current AD that it doesn't, necessarily, portends the eventual entrance of UNL to the Big 10 Hockey Conference.

This facility, at what school it is being built, where it is being built, and in what conference this is occurring, given the current hockey conference landscape, particularly in the Big 10, makes it relevant as a D-1 hockey thread in my book.

To reiterate for anyone that doesn't know, this facility is right next door to brand new Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln to the south and west. The construction was delayed this summer by massive flooding in Lincoln. The facility is right next to Salt Creek in Lincoln. This flood also flooded the Huskers baseball stadium, Haymarket Park, that is right next to this facility, too, to the north and east. Here is an aerial shot of flooding of the area:

https://www.facebook.com/64060677931...type=3&theater

Pinnacle Bank Arena is a joint venture between the City of Lincoln and the University. As such, it is a public facility and besides being used for Husker men's and women's basketball, it is also used for concerts and other public events.

It was also built with the necessary piping in the building for making ice. It is worth mentioning, also, that this was a very last minute addition to the building and was NOT part of the original plans.

The prevailing school of thought is that UNL plays hockey games at Pinnacle Bank Arena and this arena serves as the practice facility.

It's going to be a busy place right away. After the Huskers' home debut of this facility versus Iowa State on January 22nd & 23rd, Breslow will be the site of ACHA regionals in February.

We'll see how long hockey envy is allowed to fester at UNL after watching UNO, right up the road, make a trip to the Frozen Four last season. Particularly give the sudden decrease of relevance of football at Nebraska. My guess is, not very.

Re: John Breslow Ice Hockey Center, Lincoln, NE - Opening December 2015

Arena opening date announced today:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/br...aac0aa3fd.html

Arena web site:

http://www.breslowhockeycenter.com/

Comment

From what I have been told by a reliable source the Cornhuskers are not going D1 anytime soon. It's going to take an act of God for them to start up a hockey program. IMO, they would need a grassroots effort of 7k to 10k season ticket petition for them to ever even think about hockey.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Ice made and painted at Breslow:

https://www.facebook.com/85185264155...type=3&theater

The seating in the facility is all on the side the picture was taken from.

5 days from the dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          From what I have been told by a reliable source the Cornhuskers are not going D1 anytime soon. It's going to take an act of God for them to start up a hockey program. IMO, they would need a grassroots effort of 7k to 10k season ticket petition for them to ever even think about hockey.
          This is going to be/is being driven by a number of factors:

1. The Big 10 Hockey Conference is not a viable, competitive league with 6 teams. Witness the age proposal that the Big 10 is trying to ramrod down everyone else's throats. It is a symptom of the issue. The league's overall need to add two teams is going to be a huge factor. And, UNL is EASILY the best positioned school in the entire country to add hockey, if they wish to, let alone in the Big 10.

2. Big 10 Hockey isn't a viable, moneymaking product on the Big 10 Network because of reason #1. They have been reducing the number of games being shown, not adding them.

3. Newly built Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln was built with the necessary piping for making ice. It is important to understand that this was a very last minute addition to the building and was not in the original plans for the facility. To make ice there, all they need to do is obtain and install the above ground componentry. PBA is a joint venture of the City of Lincoln and UNL and is a public facility used for many things.

4. The Breslow Ice Center is right next door (walking distance) to Pinnacle Bank Arena. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder where the Huskers could practice while PBA is being used for a concert or something?

5. The current state of the Husker football program, that isn't going to amount to much for the foreseeable future, and the element of hockey envy that currently exists with what UNO has done, right up the road from them, is quite palpable around here right now. If UNO's current season stays on the path it is now after the first of the year, this is going to bring that part of this even further into the spotlight.

So, on some level this is going to be Big 10 and/or booster driven. As I have written before, any pronouncements you hear/have heard from UNL A.D. Shawn Eichorst about them not looking at this right now can be taken with a grain of salt. First, A.D. or not, he isn't going to be the ultimate arbiter of this, boosters are (or maybe even the Big 10, itself), and, secondly, his job security is very much in question, anyway, after this season of Husker football. And, I know THAT from being in a suite at a Husker game earlier this year where boosters present were openly discussing the fact that Mike Riley would be impossible to get rid of without Eichorst being fired, first, as part of a general discussion that was going on along the lines of firing Mike Riley. Another aspect of this whole thing is that current UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman is retiring next June (and he hired Eichhorst).

The University of Nebraska is doing a pretty good impersonation of a school that is going to/thinking about/planning to add hockey for one that, as you say, "It's going to take an act of God for them to start up a hockey program".

Yeah, let's just mindlessly spend all this money putting the facilities infrastructure (read: tens of millions of dollars) in place to do so for no discernible reason.

Finally, the notion that it would take a season ticket drive of 7,000 to 10,000 to get things moving is just plain nutty. This is a place where the facilities now already exist. This is a Big 10 school whose independent fundraising arm, the NU Foundation, is sitting on a warchest of well over a billion dollars (one of the smallest such totals in the Big 10, I might add). Endowing the necessary scholarships is chump change. The big money needed for the purpose has already been spent.

Further, name the list of schools that have 7,000 to 10,000 season ticket holders.

I'll answer that for you this way. Only 9 buildings in college hockey even seat as many as 7,000 people. Only 4 seat as many as 10,000. How many schools even have 7,000 season ticket holders? How and why is that number some sort of benchmark in your mind, much less, 10,000?

If UNL isn't adding hockey, then which two Big 10 schools are going to? Because, it needs to happen and it needs to happen, soon.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 12-10-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            This is going to be/is being driven by a number of factors:

1. The Big 10 Hockey Conference is not a viable, competitive league with 6 teams. Witness the age proposal that the Big 10 is trying to ramrod down everyone else's throats. It is a symptom of the issue. The league's overall need to add two teams is going to be a huge factor. And, UNL is EASILY the best positioned school in the entire country to add hockey, if they wish to, let alone in the Big 10.

2. Big 10 Hockey isn't a viable, moneymaking product on the Big 10 Network because of reason #1. They have been reducing the number of games being shown, not adding them.

3. Newly built Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln was built with the necessary piping for making ice. It is important to understand that this was a very last minute addition to the building and was not in the original plans for the facility. To make ice there, all they need to do is obtain and install the above ground componentry. PBA is a joint venture of the City of Lincoln and UNL and is a public facility used for many things.

4. The Breslow Ice Center is right next door (walking distance) to Pinnacle Bank Arena. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder where the Huskers could practice while PBA is being used for a concert or something?

5. The current state of the Husker football program, that isn't going to amount to much for the foreseeable future, and the element of hockey envy that currently exists with what UNO has done, right up the road from them, is quite palpable around here right now. If UNO's current season stays on the path it is now after the first of the year, this is going to bring that part of this even further into the spotlight.

So, on some level this is going to be Big 10 and/or booster driven. As I have written before, any pronouncements you hear/have heard from UNL A.D. Shawn Eichorst about them not looking at this right now can be taken with a grain of salt. First, A.D. or not, he isn't going to be the ultimate arbiter of this, boosters are (or maybe even the Big 10, itself), and, secondly, his job security is very much in question, anyway, after this season of Husker football. And, I know THAT from being in a suite at a Husker game earlier this year where boosters present were openly discussing the fact that Mike Riley would be impossible to get rid of without Eichorst being fired, first, as part of a general discussion that was going on along the lines of firing Mike Riley. Another aspect of this whole thing is that current UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman is retiring next June (and he hired Eichhorst).

The University of Nebraska is doing a pretty good impersonation of a school that is going to/thinking about/planning to add hockey for one that, as you say, "It's going to take an act of God for them to start up a hockey program".

Yeah, let's just mindlessly spend all this money putting the facilities infrastructure (read: tens of millions of dollars) in place to do so for no discernible reason.

Finally, the notion that it would take a season ticket drive of 7,000 to 10,000 to get things moving is just plain nutty. This is a place where the facilities now already exist. This is a Big 10 school whose independent fundraising arm, the NU Foundation, is sitting on a warchest of well over a billion dollars (one of the smallest such totals in the Big 10, I might add). Endowing the necessary scholarships is chump change. The big money needed for the purpose has already been spent.

Further, name the list of schools that have 7,000 to 10,000 season ticket holders.

I'll answer that for you this way. Only 9 buildings in college hockey even seat as many as 7,000 people. Only 4 seat as many as 10,000. How many schools even have 7,000 season ticket holders? How and why is that number some sort of benchmark in your mind, much less, 10,000?

If UNL isn't adding hockey, then which two Big 10 schools are going to? Because, it needs to happen and it needs to happen, soon.
            Don't forget that UNL will be flush with cash when they will finally receive full revenue sharing from the B1G next season
            UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
              Don't forget that UNL will be flush with cash when they will finally receive full revenue sharing from the B1G next season
              True enough but I really, really don't think money is the big factor here.

The bigger issues that remain look more logistical.

The only way this works out the best for UNL that I can see from a Title IX perspective is if they add women's hockey. If they do that, you are talking about an arena that is then hosting men's and women's hockey and men's and women's basketball. I don't know if UNL would be in actual Title IX compliance if they might relegate women's hockey to playing in Breslow (despite the overall sense that might make). I've looked at those regs and that is sort of a grey area that seems subject to interpretation. That is a whole lot of dates added to the Pinnacle Bank Arena calendar, even with just the addition of men's hockey.

Cost for a single athletic scholarship for in state scholar athletes at Nebraska is $18,422.00 per year and for out of state scholar athletes it is $31,749.50 per year

The annual scholarship cost for a full compliment both men's and women's hockey scholarships (18, each), presuming all come from out of state, then, would be $1,142,982.00.

UNO's overall hockey revenues are far larger than that, and they are men, only, at a much smaller school that plays in what would be a much smaller arena than UNL would be.

UNO's entire operating expenses for the hockey program, for the '15-'16 season, are $1,464,770.00, per their budget and accounting office.

Cost for a single athletic scholarship for in state scholar athletes at UNO is $6,510.00 per year and for out of state scholar athletes it is $16,520.00 per year.

As I said many times before, the necessary facilities are, by far, the biggest expense and concern, followed by the Title IX concerns and the potential expenses they add. If UNL adds other women's sport(s) besides hockey to stay one for one on scholarships, they then would, likely, have potential additional facilities issues/needs. That is why a women's hockey program would seem to make the most sense. The buildings are now there.

It would certainly make PBA one very busy place.
              Last edited by Red Cows; 12-10-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

The only way this works out the best for UNL that I can see from a Title IX perspective is if they add women's hockey. If they do that, you are talking about an arena that is then hosting men's and women's hockey and men's and women's basketball. I don't know if UNL would be in actual Title IX compliance if they might relegate women's hockey to playing in Breslow (despite the overall sense that might make). I've looked at those regs and that is sort of a grey area that seems subject to interpretation. That is a whole lot of dates added to the Pinnacle Bank Arena calendar, even with just the addition of men's hockey.
                This is not an issue. The Gopher women play at Ridder. The Badger women play at Lebahn. I'm sure there are other examples, but those two come to mind immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                  This is not an issue. The Gopher women play at Ridder. The Badger women play at Lebahn. I'm sure there are other examples, but those two come to mind immediately.
                  Ohio State is another example.

Comment

Cost for a single athletic scholarship for in state scholar athletes at Nebraska is $18,422.00 per year and for out of state scholar athletes it is $31,749.50 per year
                    Let's be realistic, the "cost" of putting an athlete on scholarship is not tuition times x number of years. That's just what it costs on paper. It doesn't "cost" any more to have an out of state kid on campus, than an in state kid. They just charge the out of state kids more because in theory, they haven't already paid for part of the educational costs with state taxes, etc.

The "cost" to have them on campus on the university's dime is generally what they eat and giving them a place to live. They are not scheduling special classes for these kids or hiring additional staff to teach them. They sit in the same classes that already existed for other paying enrolled students. Athletes suck way more money out of the school for stuff like, equipment, hotels, airline tickets, medical treatment, etc than any "cost" to actually be enrolled as a student.

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                    X