St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Congrats on the win and bye. You guys have been streaky this year and are on one now, could be very interesting going forward.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Congrats on the win and bye. You guys have been streaky this year and are on one now, could be very interesting going forward.
      Thanks, and huge thanks to the Raiders for sealing the deal for us. I really hope they say goodbye to Starr on a high note with another win tonight.
      Canton High School '76
      SLU '81
      KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
      SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Nice comeback win last night, keep the momentum going....to Tampa : )

Comment

• Good job! This was not the team I saw at the Gut in Dec or at Hanover in Jan. Thank you to Colgate, Union and, yes, even Clarkson. Now lets get third

Comment

Disappointing to lose, but I felt like the team deserved better than it got tonight. I am very sure Harvard was not 3 goals better, and I think if we had gotten any bounces at all (or if some calls had gone our way) we easily could have won that one. At the end of the day, SLU did very well to get into the top 4 and the bye is the most important thing. Very good second-half run, and I like the way the Saints look going into the playoffs.

Comment

Well......we will have to wait for the experts to weigh in on Pairwise implications and such. However my gut tells me that our only path to a postseason bid at this point will be winning out in the ECAC tourney. Have to say........while everything went right for us in all the games Friday night. Saturday night seems to have been the opposite. I kid you not when I say I can't imagine a worse match up for us in the playoffs than drawing Clarkson. It's one thing to have to win a round to get to Lake Placid.......but to have to win against your rival (who always seems to play us well and more often than not outplay us).....well that is the worst possible outcome. Then to boot......we seem to match up better against Q....now we have to get by Harvard a team we have not yet beaten this year. Ylae must be feeling the same way in the same bracket as Q Pac.....however, Ylae can console themselves with already being in the NCAA tournament should they again not get by Q Pac in the ECAC Tourney.
              Grrrrrrrr! Not happy with how this played out.
              SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post
                Well......we will have to wait for the experts to weigh in on Pairwise implications and such. However my gut tells me that our only path to a postseason bid at this point will be winning out in the ECAC tourney. Have to say........while everything went right for us in all the games Friday night. Saturday night seems to have been the opposite. I kid you not when I say I can't imagine a worse match up for us in the playoffs than drawing Clarkson. It's one thing to have to win a round to get to Lake Placid.......but to have to win against your rival (who always seems to play us well and more often than not outplay us).....well that is the worst possible outcome. Then to boot......we seem to match up better against Q....now we have to get by Harvard a team we have not yet beaten this year. Ylae must be feeling the same way in the same bracket as Q Pac.....however, Ylae can console themselves with already being in the NCAA tournament should they again not get by Q Pac in the ECAC Tourney.
                Grrrrrrrr! Not happy with how this played out.
                Mike, with the 1/4 and 2/3 match ups for Placid (assuming no upsets), we would be slated against Q for the semis. Well, Q would get the "lowest remaining seed" for the rest of the playoffs. They will not see Yale until possibly Lake Placid Championship.

The only way we would see Harvard in LP semis is if Yale bows out in the QF's in 2 weeks, while the other bye teams win.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Mike, with the 1/4 and 2/3 match ups for Placid (assuming no upsets), we would be slated against Q for the semis. Well, Q would get the "lowest remaining seed" for the rest of the playoffs. They will not see Yale until possibly Lake Placid Championship.

The only way we would see Harvard in LP semis is if Yale bows out in the QF's in 2 weeks, while the other bye teams win.
                  Well that's at least a little bit encouraging. I always look at those brackets (and seeing as I played competitive tennis for 40 years) assume its a draw like in tennis where re-seeding doesn't occur and the bracket plays out. Still HATE the match up though.
                  SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post
                    Well that's at least a little bit encouraging. I always look at those brackets (and seeing as I played competitive tennis for 40 years) assume its a draw like in tennis where re-seeding doesn't occur and the bracket plays out. Still HATE the match up though.
                    I don't like the Clarkson match up, but really, none of the others are cakewalks, either. Cornell has been slumping lately, sure. But Gillam can turn a playoff series on his own. Same with RPI and Kasdorf. Dartmouth has been pretty hot since the new year, and Clarkson a bit better.

I'm sure some of the guys are banged up and hopefully the bye week can get everybody healthy and rested. We've made Appleton a tough place to play lately, and hopefully that continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      I don't like the Clarkson match up, but really, none of the others are cakewalks, either. Cornell has been slumping lately, sure. But Gillam can turn a playoff series on his own. Same with RPI and Kasdorf. Dartmouth has been pretty hot since the new year, and Clarkson a bit better.

I'm sure some of the guys are banged up and hopefully the bye week can get everybody healthy and rested. We've made Appleton a tough place to play lately, and hopefully that continues.
                      Toughest opponent. And losing would be extra painful.

But winning would be extra sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimU View Post
                        Toughest opponent. And losing would be extra painful.

But winning would be extra sweet.
                        (1) Good luck to the ladies tbis afternoon.
                        (2) Lord willing, see you in 2 weeks! Please assure us that no McKenzies will be in the building.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm not happy at all to be potentially playing Clarkson in the quarterfinals. Win or lose, I will be an absolute basket-case by the end of the weekend! I remember the 2010 playoff series at Appleton and it was a wild and crazy weekend. That was when the students were out and it was a first round playoff series. This time the students (just ours) will be around and I can imagine that will make it an even more intense weekend. Let's just hope the Clarkson/Princeton series is an all out battle. Maybe Princeton can some how take them to three games, maybe even knock them off (highly doubtful). The rest will serve us well and I am holding out hope for the upcoming series as teams with a bye typically do well. I have seen several teams limp into the playoffs, sneak into the final bye slot and just with that week off to rest, recover, regroup and practice they come out on fire ... Hopefully the same happens with us. Let's Go Saints!!!
                          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Agreed on Gillam and Kasdorf, but among teams 4-8, Dartmouth would have been the easiest opponent by far. They were hot in January, but they have not been good since then. From the last weekend in January on, they went 4-6, with their wins coming against the teams that finished 6th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. And they barely beat us in Hanover when we were still trying to break out of our slump. If we were playing them, I would be very confident of beating them. RPI and Cornell, I would still be pretty confident, goalies notwithstanding. CCT is far tougher than any of them -- easily the hottest team outside the top 4. They've played one bad game (Brown) since mid-January. (I think Casey Jones is a shoo-in for coach of the year, btw, given that Everybody Hates Rand.) And our home ice advantage is vastly diminished by playing them. At least their students will be on break that weekend. I think that series is a tossup. But if our guys play the way they did this weekend, I think we'll beat them.

As for the Pairwise, my gut feeling is that we might still have a very slim chance of getting the last at-large spot if we sweep the quarters and win the semis, but I think it would require that Michigan Tech gets into the top 14 and wins the WCHA tournament (and there are no low-ranked champions in other leagues aside from the obligatory AHA), so that the #15 team gets the last at-large bid. In other words, yeah, we'd better win out! Ironically, I think winning the championship might be the one thing that would get us into at-large territory, in which case we wouldn't need the at-large bid.
                            Last edited by SluStatsMan; 02-28-2016, 11:56 AM.
                            Canton High School '76
                            SLU '81
                            KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
                            SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Well, looks like Clarkson came back from down 2-0 to Princeton to pickup the 3-2 double overtime victory in game 1 from Potsdam. Was hoping Princeton could have held on and won that game making that series go to a possible 3rd game. Who knows maybe they can surprise Clarkson and force a game 3 tonight, but at least they had to play double overtime and make them work hard for it. At least that is something to be positive about here, as I really don't want to play Clarkson in the next round, AT ALL!!!

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Clarkson it is. Both games are already sold out too, so it'll be a wild weekend! Let's Go Saints!!

Comment

Working...
                                X