PDA

View Full Version : Yale & Brown @ RPI & Union (11/13, 11/14)

Pages : [1] 2

Ralph Baer
11-07-2015, 09:15 PM
discuss

fr. joe
11-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Let's get back home, get healed this week and earn some points at home.

Ralph Baer
11-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Looking forward to being there next weekend. (The kiss of death.)

fr. joe
11-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Ralph's coming to town. Be ready for some heavy weather. ;)

DrDemento
11-07-2015, 10:01 PM
We might consider taking up a collection and paying you to stay home.

jericho
11-07-2015, 10:03 PM

The game thread isn't going to be nearly as long. Ralph, the Field House has Wi-Fi. ;)

Ralph Baer
11-07-2015, 10:08 PM
The game thread isn't going to be nearly as long. Ralph, the Field House has Wi-Fi. ;)

We did pretty well today without FD08. :)

jericho
11-07-2015, 10:17 PM
We did pretty well today without FD08. :

And it was much more enjoyable.

turk181
11-07-2015, 11:04 PM
We did pretty well today without FD08. :)

And it was much more enjoyable.Maybe the secret is to have him stay in Canton. Thereís a collection Iíll give to :D

jericho
11-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Maybe the secret is to have him stay in Canton. Thereís a collection Iíll give to :D

I don't have much to give, but I'll provide the one-way transportation. :D

FlagDUDE08
11-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Have to be in ENY for the weekend anyway. Toss-up on actually going to Friday's game. Have another event on Saturday; MAYBE will make it to the forums in time.

ServinisScores
11-08-2015, 05:54 PM
I'll give early and often. You're welcome.

goblue78
11-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi, Engineers. Making my first trip to Troy on Friday night. Would welcome any logistical advice... Where to get a bite and some brew before the game, where to park, etc, etc. Thanks.

FlagDUDE08
11-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Hi, Engineers. Making my first trip to Troy on Friday night. Would welcome any logistical advice... Where to get a bite and some brew before the game, where to park, etc, etc. Thanks.

Brew-wise, Brown's downtown on River Street is a good place, OK restaurant goes along with it. Recovery sports bar & grill is a little closer, on NY 7 where the Hilton is. There's a fairly large parking lot at 13th and Peoples which offers a shuttle service up to the Field House, or you might be able to get something on the street (albeit that fills up fast). Fans of the visiting team are generally invited to sit behind the pole where the home fans don't have to look at you :p, but in all seriousness, the visitor's bench is behind section 8, so you may want to plan in accordance with that. It's not Freakout, so it probably won't sell out. Corners are obstructed by poles, though. Not sure if you're planning on staying in the area to go to the DOT salt dome- er Messa, but if you are, you may want to stay in Latham (along exit 6 of I-87, about halfway between the two).

LTsatch
11-08-2015, 08:27 PM

Hotel Indigo in Latham is a good place. Both times in Troy I pregamed at The Notty Pine Tavern which is about six blocks from the rink and an easy walk. Good beers and food. I got there early enough and was able to park on the street leading up to the rink front doors, the lot is not far from the rink either. http://nottypinetavern.com/ If you are going to Union skip the fire trap of a rink and go get a corned beef reuben and a Guinness at Katie O'Byrnes and watch the game on your phone. http://www.katieobyrnespub.com/menu.php

Wicked Slappaahs
11-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Hilton Garden Inn on the hill in Troy is what you want - close to rink. (The attached Recovery Room food is lousy, but the beer is cold)
If you're a craft beer fan - The Ruck is a must stop - about 30 on tap (elevated pub grub too)
Dinosaur BBQ is solidly mid-rate bbq
If you or your clan want slightly more refined - Pecks Arcade has great food and excellent wine list
I'll never to tell anyone who's had New Haven pizza about another town's pizza -- but the Notty Pine is an institution and the pizza is pretty darn good ( outside of New Haven)

goblue78
11-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks to FD and Wicked... LT: I probably should have asked you directly.

Recently bought a weekend place not too far away, so I'm looking forward to many visits...

FlagDUDE08
11-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Hotel Indigo in Latham is a good place. Both times in Troy I pregamed at The Notty Pine Tavern which is about six blocks from the rink and an easy walk. Good beers and food. I got there early enough and was able to park on the street leading up to the rink front doors, the lot is not far from the rink either. http://nottypinetavern.com/ If you are going to Union skip the fire trap of a rink and go get a corned beef reuben and a Guinness at Katie O'Byrnes and watch the game on your phone. http://www.katieobyrnespub.com/menu.php

Just remember you have to pay for their terrible stream from their press box where all you see is netting, and it's not part of the Ivy League package.

Red Cloud
11-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Can't go wrong with Rare Form Brewery (Congress Street west of 4th St) - only beer, but it's far superior to that of Brown's (where the service is dogplop). As far as food is concerned, Dinosaur BBQ is pretty solid although you'll have to be there early on a Friday night if you're going to the game. There's a decent menu at the Recovery Room Bar (alternatively known as the "Penalty Box") on Hoosick Street, which is right in the Hilton Garden Inn (also a nice place to stay not far from the Field House), perfect for pre-game and/or post-game. If you stay in Troy, recommend breakfast or brunch at Manory's Restaurant, corner of Congress St and 4th St. Greasy spoon fare but a classic Troy experience and chances are pretty good you'll find people talking about the previous night's game.

If you arrive early enough, you should be able to park el freebo along either Burdett Ave or Peoples Ave. Short walk (albeit uphill) from there. If you're like half of the crowd and don't show up until five minutes into the game, suggest you park in the lot just to the west of 15th St on Peoples Ave (you'll see signs), and there's a free shuttle to the Field House from there. Don't try to drive up to where the Field House is above Burdett Ave. You will only grow annoyed.

FlagDUDE08
11-09-2015, 02:15 PM
it's far superior to that of Brown's (where the service is dogplop).

Good to know my last experience there wasn't a one-off issue. What the heck happened to them in the past few years?!