Who are You Again? UNH Travels to East Lansing to Take On Sparty, 11/6-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are You Again? UNH Travels to East Lansing to Take On Sparty, 11/6-7

As we Durham-ites Fire up the tractors and hitch our wagons to horses for the trip west (12 hours and 42 minutes i*** ya have one of those internal combustion vehicles), it dawned on me that there is not a ton of recent history between these two programs. Aside from the split last year in Durham, you have to go all the way back to the NCAA Regionals in 2006 for our last game, where one Jeff Lerg shut the 'Cats out 1-0, saving 36 shots. Aside from this, a 2004-2005 RS win for MSU was the only other matchup I see this millennium.

(Disclaimer: my only trip to East Lansing came for the October 2001 Cold War, an awesome - and FREEZING event).

UNH comes in at 3-2-1 on the season, with two recent solid wins, both with Clark in net. Averaging 4.5 goals/game, with blue line play improving, we have a bit of momentum. MSU went through a tough stretch vs. a strong Denver squad, but rebounded in its last game vs. Lake Sup.

So, what say ye, Michiganders? what kind of team should we expect to see in Munn this weekend? Predictions?

Any UNH'ers making the trip?

Have at it, people....

(For those not going FSD has the Saturday game)
    Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-03-2015, 03:34 PM.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Re: Who are You Again? UNH Travels to East Lansing to Take On Sparty, 11/6-7

MSU has its only two wins (in three meetings) against a mediocre Lake State team, and couldn't even beat a bad, winless UMaine team. UNH should be looking at a sweep here ... but ...

... a still-maturing UNH defense (plus some *home cooking*) will see to it that MSU manages to eke out a weekend split. From a UNH perspective, it will be interesting to see if Tirone sees a game this weekend (I think he will), and which of the disfavored skaters who spent last weekend up in the stands will have earned their way back into the line-up.

I got the score right last weekend, so I'm taking this weekend off from Kreskin duty.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

UNH picks up their first sweep of the year, winning 3-1 Friday, and 2-1 Saturday. AC gets the first game and a renewed and recharged DT gets the second. Sparty's show up and give it their all but just can't handle the 'we aren't ranked...yet' boys from Dur-hamm. Disgruntled Wildcat fans, while they love Dan Parkhurst and Pete Webster, bemoan the fact there's no live action to be found on the telly or the 'puter out here in CowHampsha because without direct TV, who gets Fox Sports Detroit anyway???

Richie 'Boyder" Boyd has a hattie from the center position Friday (that means he scores all three goals) while Mike McNick makes his first game of the season memorable by getting the game winner Sat. night. A good time was had by all, except for the hapless UNH fanbase who had to listen to it on the radio...
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I am thinking that Boyd may find himself back on the blue line, but I could way wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I am thinking that Boyd may find himself back on the blue line, but I could way wrong.
          Oh I think so too Snively65..just having some fun...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Hard to believe that it has been 9+ years since Lerg and the Spartans shut out the Cats 1-0 in the NCAA regionals.

Comment

Arrrrrgh! That 2006 loss still frustrates. One goal, on what was basically a dump in from the blue line as Sparty went for a change. It just happened to be delivered as a slapshot on goal that caught Pietrasiak napping. First period if I recall, and lots of D for the rest of the game.
              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                UNH picks up their first sweep of the year, winning 3-1 Friday, and 2-1 Saturday. AC gets the first game and a renewed and recharged DT gets the second. Sparty's show up and give it their all but just can't handle the 'we aren't ranked...yet' boys from Dur-hamm. Disgruntled Wildcat fans, while they love Dan Parkhurst and Pete Webster, bemoan the fact there's no live action to be found on the telly or the 'puter out here in CowHampsha because without direct TV, who gets Fox Sports Detroit anyway???

Richie 'Boyder" Boyd has a hattie from the center position Friday (that means he scores all three goals) while Mike McNick makes his first game of the season memorable by getting the game winner Sat. night. A good time was had by all, except for the hapless UNH fanbase who had to listen to it on the radio...
                WOW! That's some sweet optimism there!!

I think it's always tough to sweep on the road, so I'm going with my max for optimism and predicting we pull 3 points from the weekend.

With regards to TV coverage - gotta work your local sports bars. Many have the full DirecTV package, including all of the local Fox affiliates. Sidle up to the bar about an hour in advance, "claim" a TV and start lobbying the bartender or server for a prompt change of the station about 5 minutes before gametime. I have done this many a time (I've seen many HEA tourney games from bars in Florida!), usually without a problem. It's a Saturday night, so you'll have some contention with football, but find an out-of-the-way TV, and you should be OK. I'm guessing Hubby owes you a date - cash it in!!!

Happy watching - Emily and I are hooking up Slingbox in the NH place over the holidays (where we have DirecTV) so I can watch down here.
                Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-04-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                  Arrrrrgh! That 2006 loss still frustrates. One goal, on what was basically a dump in from the blue line as Sparty went for a change. It just happened to be delivered as a slapshot on goal that caught Pietrasiak napping. First period if I recall, and lots of D for the rest of the game.
                  Not only was it the first period, I think it was in the first five minutes of the period. UNH played like dogs that day against a very beatable MSU team. My favorite memory of Michigan State is 2004, and not because we won. We lost at East Lansing in a game that was only memorable because it was Kevin Regan's first ever start. The memory remains because, after losing on a rainy Sunday afternoon, we drove straight to the Detroit airport for the flight home. We were in the terminal, waiting to board, at the same time that the Red Sox/Yanks began the fourth game of the ALCS, which appeared to all to be the final one of the series. My wife and I agreed, if you're going to lose, do it now please. Get on the flight, halfway through the pilot comes on and says the game is tied 2-2 in the sixth (I think). We land, grab a cab back to Lynn (20 minute ride), dropped the bags, then sat down and watched what was the beginning of the most amazing comeback in Red Sox history.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Not only was it the first period, I think it was in the first five minutes of the period. UNH played like dogs that day against a very beatable MSU team. My favorite memory of Michigan State is 2004, and not because we won. We lost at East Lansing in a game that was only memorable because it was Kevin Regan's first ever start. The memory remains because, after losing on a rainy Sunday afternoon, we drove straight to the Detroit airport for the flight home. We were in the terminal, waiting to board, at the same time that the Red Sox/Yanks began the fourth game of the ALCS, which appeared to all to be the final one of the series. My wife and I agreed, if you're going to lose, do it now please. Get on the flight, halfway through the pilot comes on and says the game is tied 2-2 in the sixth (I think). We land, grab a cab back to Lynn (20 minute ride), dropped the bags, then sat down and watched what was the beginning of the most amazing comeback in Red Sox history.
                    Haha, I was at that game too - in speaking to some of the UNH/Sox fans, we all agreed it was over and the Yankees had gotten us again. That fourth game was painful, because it just felt like a prolonging of the inevitable (yet left you with just the slightest bit of hope!)...

I believe UNH lost to Michigan State in the opening round of the GLI that year, as well, before coming back to beat Tech in the third-place game? Disappointing history against MSU, even when I've felt UNH has had better teams. Hopefully, they can right that ship this weekend because UNH certainly should be considered the favorite. Munn has some dumpy visitor amenities, but I wouldn't expect much of a home ice crowd - they may be worse than UNH fans, in terms of avoiding the arena or creating much noise, during the leaner years...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      Just another in a long line of *magical* UNH postseason moments ...

... so, where are the MSU fans? Have things gotten that bleak in Lansing??
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Just another in a long line of *magical* UNH postseason moments ...

... so, where are the MSU fans? Have things gotten that bleak in Lansing??
                        I checked the first couple pages earlier. There were 4 UNH threads ("December", "Recruiting", "Mack" and this one) and zero MSU threads. Might be crickets this time!

Perhaps the "Punt Six" vs. Michigan has them completely focused on football.

Comment

Michigan State has its own message board - www.spartantailgate.com - and they barely talk about hockey there! Especially this time of year, with football's success and basketball season gearing up...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

I agree that Clark gets the start on Friday night. But if he gets the win on Friday I don't see coach taking him out for Saturday. We saw it the 2nd half of last year, Umile will run with the hot hand. So if UNH wins Friday I'd expect to see Clark again on Saturday, if they lose then I bet Tirone gets a shot.

Comment

Disgruntled Wildcat fans, while they love Dan Parkhurst and Pete Webster, bemoan the fact there's no live action to be found on the telly or the 'puter out here in CowHampsha because without direct TV, who gets Fox Sports Detroit anyway??? [/SIZE]
                              According to my Comcast tv listing, Fox Sport Pacific will be showing the Saturday night game.

http://www.locatetv.com/listings/fox...ic#07-Nov-2015

Comment

Working...
                              X