PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Crimson 2015-2016 - All things Bright and Beautiful

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Veritas
10-25-2015, 12:23 AM
As the new season is starting, time to start a new thread methinks.

Friday night there was a exhibition game against the University of Prince Edward Island. I think the game was officially a scrimmage but score was kept, game had the usual two refs and two linesmen. Harvard won 3-1. The team looked good and passing seemed quicker and cleaner than we have seen for a while. One item of interest; Katie Guay, an experienced ECAC ref of women's games was on the ice for this game. I think this is the first time a woman ref officiated at a men's game at Bright.

Saturday night the men faced the University of New Brunswick at Bright. The game was a 3-3 tie after a 5 minute overtime. UNB has had a good record so far this season. The beat the Portland Pirates of the AHL in a pre-season game and beat BC 5-2 and U. of Maine 5-1 in exhibition games. They also have had wins against UPEI, St FrancisX and Dalhousie in regular season games so far this season. It was a physical game with UNB getting 44 minutes and Harvard 10 minutes. UNB penalties included a match misconduct and a game misconduct. Ryan Donato scored his first goal in Crimson although since it was an exhibition game I am not sure if it will count in his stats.

For those who have not been to Bright since last season, they have ripped out all the old seating and replaced it with theatre type seating. Looks nice but it seems like the seats are designed to look up at a movie screen rather than down at a rink as the seats slope backward a bit too much. Not good for those of us with lumbar disk issues. I will try to remember to bring a back cushion to future games.

Skate79
10-25-2015, 09:17 AM
I noticed in the box score of last night's game that Colin Blackwell didn't dress. I wasn't at the game - is that true? Does this mean we won't see him until second semester? Too bad. I was hoping he would get a full year. Other than Donato, Floodstrand was the only other freshmen forward to dress and play correct?

bothman
10-25-2015, 11:57 AM
I noticed in the box score of last night's game that Colin Blackwell didn't dress. I wasn't at the game - is that true? Does this mean we won't see him until second semester? Too bad. I was hoping he would get a full year. Other than Donato, Floodstrand was the only other freshmen forward to dress and play correct?

This will be interesting to see what happens. Will have for 2nd half regardless.

bothman
10-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Veritas - were you at games? Curious to hear about D....particularly, Olsen and Dumbrovskiy.

Offense and PP will be one of best in nation as long as healthy.

Veritas
10-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Boatman -

I was at both games. Offense looked a bit better than defense. There were a few points Saturday against UNB when the puck was bouncing around in and near the crease too long for my liking. It was a bit hard to keep track of players as there were no programs distributed.

Next weekend will be a busy one at Bright. Women are playing Friday night and Saturday afternoon and the men face Dartmouth on Sunday night. I have no idea why: 1 - Harvard scheduled the women for a game on a Friday night at the same time as a football game. I have no idea if there will be parking available and I do not want to spend an hour driving up there and then just turn around. Poor planning
2 - Harvard men play Dartmouth Saturday in Hanover and then play Dartmouth in Bright on Sunday!!! (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!) Again, poor planning.

edited to add: Olson definitely played. I looked at the box score and Olson got two minor penalties and the 3rd period crosschecking penalty led to UNB's game tying goal.

lugnut92
10-26-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm doing the KRACH-based final standings again. Here's the thread (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113818-ECAC-Projected-Standings-2015-16). Come have a look, and talk about it. Thanks!

Skate79
10-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Boatman -

I was at both games. Offense looked a bit better than defense. There were a few points Saturday against UNB when the puck was bouncing around in and near the crease too long for my liking. It was a bit hard to keep track of players as there were no programs distributed.

Next weekend will be a busy one at Bright. Women are playing Friday night and Saturday afternoon and the men face Dartmouth on Sunday night. I have no idea why: 1 - Harvard scheduled the women for a game on a Friday night at the same time as a football game. I have no idea if there will be parking available and I do not want to spend an hour driving up there and then just turn around. Poor planning
2 - Harvard men play Dartmouth Saturday in Hanover and then play Dartmouth in Bright on Sunday!!! (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!) Again, poor planning.

edited to add: Olson definitely played. I looked at the box score and Olson got two minor penalties and the 3rd period crosschecking penalty led to UNB's game tying goal.

For the past several seasons, Harvard has routinely scheduled several events in and around the rink making parking difficult. Especially when the snow arrives. The football game should attract a pretty good crowd as both teams are unbeaten - NBCSN is showing the game nationally. I'm going to miss Friday's hockey game but will be at Saturday's game against SLU and Sunday's game against Dartmouth. Should be fun.

bothman
10-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Harvard picks up a goalie commit for 2016 - Cameron Gornet who is a goalie with Sioux City out of the USHL. This is a likely a replacement for Frederic Foulem (Major Junior) and is a replacement for Peter Traber who will graduate in 2016.

sshablak
10-28-2015, 09:56 AM
As the new season is starting, time to start a new thread methinks.

Friday night there was a exhibition game against the University of Prince Edward Island. I think the game was officially a scrimmage but score was kept, game had the usual two refs and two linesmen. Harvard won 3-1. The team looked good and passing seemed quicker and cleaner than we have seen for a while. One item of interest; Katie Guay, an experienced ECAC ref of women's games was on the ice for this game. I think this is the first time a woman ref officiated at a men's game at Bright.

Saturday night the men faced the University of New Brunswick at Bright. The game was a 3-3 tie after a 5 minute overtime. UNB has had a good record so far this season. The beat the Portland Pirates of the AHL in a pre-season game and beat BC 5-2 and U. of Maine 5-1 in exhibition games. They also have had wins against UPEI, St FrancisX and Dalhousie in regular season games so far this season. It was a physical game with UNB getting 44 minutes and Harvard 10 minutes. UNB penalties included a match misconduct and a game misconduct. Ryan Donato scored his first goal in Crimson although since it was an exhibition game I am not sure if it will count in his stats.

For those who have not been to Bright since last season, they have ripped out all the old seating and replaced it with theatre type seating. Looks nice but it seems like the seats are designed to look up at a movie screen rather than down at a rink as the seats slope backward a bit too much. Not good for those of us with lumbar disk issues. I will try to remember to bring a back cushion to future games.

UNB TIED an AHL team and you tied them !! Is this a first, a college team(Canadian) playing a pro team ?

alslammerz
10-28-2015, 11:29 AM
UNB TIED an AHL team and you tied them !! Is this a first, a college team(Canadian) playing a pro team ?

A quick google search says UNB has played Portland before (losing 4-2) and Univ. of British Columbia played the Flames affiliate a few years ago (losing 3-2). Seems another team, the University of Alberta, played the Oilers rookie team (and possibly won? I can't tell).

So it's not without precedent, but beating an AHL team is.

Of course, all things being equal, UMass-Lowell beat UNB 3-2. Should also note that UPEI, who we beat 3-1, went and lost 7-0 to Dartmouth the next night. Also of note, UPEI features Jeff Beukeboom's son Brock is on the roster.

vicb
10-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Only 2 days + ~6 hours to get your picks in. Remember Friday at 7PM is the cutoff.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113424-ECAC-Pick-The-Standings-Contest-2015-2016&p=6214478#post6214478

alslammerz
10-28-2015, 02:25 PM
I for one am glad Bracco ended up decommitting from us.

Skate79
10-29-2015, 02:04 PM
I for one am glad Bracco ended up decommitting from us.

Why? Am I missing something here?

alslammerz
10-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Why? Am I missing something here?

He left BC after all of a month to go play in the OHL. Supposedly he practiced with the team (BC) Tuesday and signed with Kitchener on Wednesday. Would have been a waste of an admit - to quit on your team like that? BC fans are rightly P.O.'d, and I'm just glad we had advanced warning we weren't getting him.

vicb
10-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Less than 12 hours to go to get your picks in. 7PM tonight is the deadline.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113424-ECAC-Pick-The-Standings-Contest-2015-2016

FreddyFoyle
10-30-2015, 12:01 PM
A quick google search says UNB has played Portland before (losing 4-2) and Univ. of British Columbia played the Flames affiliate a few years ago (losing 3-2). Seems another team, the University of Alberta, played the Oilers rookie team (and possibly won? I can't tell).

So it's not without precedent, but beating an AHL team is.

Of course, all things being equal, UMass-Lowell beat UNB 3-2. Should also note that UPEI, who we beat 3-1, went and lost 7-0 to Dartmouth the next night. Also of note, UPEI features Jeff Beukeboom's son Brock is on the roster.

The University of Alberta Golden Bears have played the Oilers Rookies 25 times, and have won 13 of the games. This year they played well, but couldn't handle Conner McDavid and his linemates and lost 6-3.

Several years ago UNB beat a NY Islanders "Rookies" team, who were having their camp in Moncton that year. This year is the first time that UNB has beat Portland in four tries. Don't forget that UNB's game against Lowell was their third game in four days, and came after the Portland and Boston College games, against rested Lowell. I talked to several of the UNB players later, and they said that they just ran out of gas.

Against Harvard, UNB only had 4 defenceman, as the other two are out with injuries. UNB's top forward, Phil Maillet (who was the AUS conference player of the year last season), took the warmup but didn't play in the Crimson game due to feeling sick. The V-Reds' second best forward, Phil Halley, was tossed in the game, as was their third best forward, Francis Beauvillier.

And they still came back and forced OT.

alslammerz
10-30-2015, 12:55 PM
The University of Alberta Golden Bears have played the Oilers Rookies 25 times, and have won 13 of the games. This year they played well, but couldn't handle Conner McDavid and his linemates and lost 6-3.

Several years ago UNB beat a NY Islanders "Rookies" team, who were having their camp in Moncton that year. This year is the first time that UNB has beat Portland in four tries. Don't forget that UNB's game against Lowell was their third game in four days, and came after the Portland and Boston College games, against rested Lowell. I talked to several of the UNB players later, and they said that they just ran out of gas.

Against Harvard, UNB only had 4 defenceman, as the other two are out with injuries. UNB's top forward, Phil Maillet (who was the AUS conference player of the year last season), took the warmup but didn't play in the Crimson game due to feeling sick. The V-Reds' second best forward, Phil Halley, was tossed in the game, as was their third best forward, Francis Beauvillier.

And they still came back and forced OT.

Interesting. I didn't realize there was that long of a tradition of Canadian schools and rookie teams playing.

As for the Harvard-UNB game, I was (somewhat) discounting Harvard's performance to begin with, and I think your post just shows even more that an exhibition tie against a team, even one that beat an AHL team, says anything positive or negative about Harvard's season.

Skate79
10-30-2015, 01:15 PM
He left BC after all of a month to go play in the OHL. Supposedly he practiced with the team (BC) Tuesday and signed with Kitchener on Wednesday. Would have been a waste of an admit - to quit on your team like that? BC fans are rightly P.O.'d, and I'm just glad we had advanced warning we weren't getting him.

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the update. Agree that is a pretty cheesy thing to do. Glad he didn't come to Harvard. We don't need players like that in our program.

Skate79
10-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Interesting. I didn't realize there was that long of a tradition of Canadian schools and rookie teams playing.

As for the Harvard-UNB game, I was (somewhat) discounting Harvard's performance to begin with, and I think your post just shows even more that an exhibition tie against a team, even one that beat an AHL team, says anything positive or negative about Harvard's season.

What happens in October has no bearing in February or March. Harvard will be a different team come playoff time. We saw that last year. I don't really care what UNB did or didn't do against those other teams. I care about Harvard building momentum during the regular season and getting to the playoffs healthy and ready to make a run for the Frozen Four.

alslammerz
10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
What happens in October has no bearing in February or March. Harvard will be a different team come playoff time. We saw that last year. I don't really care what UNB did or didn't do against those other teams. I care about Harvard building momentum during the regular season and getting to the playoffs healthy and ready to make a run for the Frozen Four.

I know. It just seemed like there was a bit of positive shock that we tied a team that beat an AHL team but that it wasn't really that big of a deal.

My last word(s) on Bracco ... he supposedly left BC because school wasn't for him, according to the Waterloo Region Record:

"It's nothing against their program," said Bracco, a second round (61st overall) draft pick by the Toronto Maple Leafs. "For me, I didn't really think much of myself student wise."

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6060433-rangers-get-offensive-boost/ (http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6060433-rangers-get-offensive-boost/)

This was from the BC forum on Bracco. Yeesh. I can't believe that this kid actually committed to us at any point with quotes like that.