Harvard Crimson 2015-2016 - All things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson 2015-2016 - All things Bright and Beautiful

As the new season is starting, time to start a new thread methinks.

Friday night there was a exhibition game against the University of Prince Edward Island. I think the game was officially a scrimmage but score was kept, game had the usual two refs and two linesmen. Harvard won 3-1. The team looked good and passing seemed quicker and cleaner than we have seen for a while. One item of interest; Katie Guay, an experienced ECAC ref of women's games was on the ice for this game. I think this is the first time a woman ref officiated at a men's game at Bright.

Saturday night the men faced the University of New Brunswick at Bright. The game was a 3-3 tie after a 5 minute overtime. UNB has had a good record so far this season. The beat the Portland Pirates of the AHL in a pre-season game and beat BC 5-2 and U. of Maine 5-1 in exhibition games. They also have had wins against UPEI, St FrancisX and Dalhousie in regular season games so far this season. It was a physical game with UNB getting 44 minutes and Harvard 10 minutes. UNB penalties included a match misconduct and a game misconduct. Ryan Donato scored his first goal in Crimson although since it was an exhibition game I am not sure if it will count in his stats.

For those who have not been to Bright since last season, they have ripped out all the old seating and replaced it with theatre type seating. Looks nice but it seems like the seats are designed to look up at a movie screen rather than down at a rink as the seats slope backward a bit too much. Not good for those of us with lumbar disk issues. I will try to remember to bring a back cushion to future games.
    Last edited by Veritas; 10-25-2015, 01:34 PM.

Re: Harvard Crimson 2015-2016 - All things Bright and Beautiful

I noticed in the box score of last night's game that Colin Blackwell didn't dress. I wasn't at the game - is that true? Does this mean we won't see him until second semester? Too bad. I was hoping he would get a full year. Other than Donato, Floodstrand was the only other freshmen forward to dress and play correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      I noticed in the box score of last night's game that Colin Blackwell didn't dress. I wasn't at the game - is that true? Does this mean we won't see him until second semester? Too bad. I was hoping he would get a full year. Other than Donato, Floodstrand was the only other freshmen forward to dress and play correct?
      This will be interesting to see what happens. Will have for 2nd half regardless.

Comment

Veritas - were you at games? Curious to hear about D....particularly, Olsen and Dumbrovskiy.

Offense and PP will be one of best in nation as long as healthy.

Comment

Boatman -

I was at both games. Offense looked a bit better than defense. There were a few points Saturday against UNB when the puck was bouncing around in and near the crease too long for my liking. It was a bit hard to keep track of players as there were no programs distributed.

Next weekend will be a busy one at Bright. Women are playing Friday night and Saturday afternoon and the men face Dartmouth on Sunday night. I have no idea why: 1 - Harvard scheduled the women for a game on a Friday night at the same time as a football game. I have no idea if there will be parking available and I do not want to spend an hour driving up there and then just turn around. Poor planning
          2 - Harvard men play Dartmouth Saturday in Hanover and then play Dartmouth in Bright on Sunday!!! (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!) Again, poor planning.

edited to add: Olson definitely played. I looked at the box score and Olson got two minor penalties and the 3rd period crosschecking penalty led to UNB's game tying goal.
          Last edited by Veritas; 10-25-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I'm doing the KRACH-based final standings again. Here's the thread. Come have a look, and talk about it. Thanks!
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              Boatman -

I was at both games. Offense looked a bit better than defense. There were a few points Saturday against UNB when the puck was bouncing around in and near the crease too long for my liking. It was a bit hard to keep track of players as there were no programs distributed.

Next weekend will be a busy one at Bright. Women are playing Friday night and Saturday afternoon and the men face Dartmouth on Sunday night. I have no idea why: 1 - Harvard scheduled the women for a game on a Friday night at the same time as a football game. I have no idea if there will be parking available and I do not want to spend an hour driving up there and then just turn around. Poor planning
              2 - Harvard men play Dartmouth Saturday in Hanover and then play Dartmouth in Bright on Sunday!!! (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!) Again, poor planning.

edited to add: Olson definitely played. I looked at the box score and Olson got two minor penalties and the 3rd period crosschecking penalty led to UNB's game tying goal.
              For the past several seasons, Harvard has routinely scheduled several events in and around the rink making parking difficult. Especially when the snow arrives. The football game should attract a pretty good crowd as both teams are unbeaten - NBCSN is showing the game nationally. I'm going to miss Friday's hockey game but will be at Saturday's game against SLU and Sunday's game against Dartmouth. Should be fun.

Comment

Harvard picks up a goalie commit for 2016 - Cameron Gornet who is a goalie with Sioux City out of the USHL. This is a likely a replacement for Frederic Foulem (Major Junior) and is a replacement for Peter Traber who will graduate in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  As the new season is starting, time to start a new thread methinks.

Friday night there was a exhibition game against the University of Prince Edward Island. I think the game was officially a scrimmage but score was kept, game had the usual two refs and two linesmen. Harvard won 3-1. The team looked good and passing seemed quicker and cleaner than we have seen for a while. One item of interest; Katie Guay, an experienced ECAC ref of women's games was on the ice for this game. I think this is the first time a woman ref officiated at a men's game at Bright.

Saturday night the men faced the University of New Brunswick at Bright. The game was a 3-3 tie after a 5 minute overtime. UNB has had a good record so far this season. The beat the Portland Pirates of the AHL in a pre-season game and beat BC 5-2 and U. of Maine 5-1 in exhibition games. They also have had wins against UPEI, St FrancisX and Dalhousie in regular season games so far this season. It was a physical game with UNB getting 44 minutes and Harvard 10 minutes. UNB penalties included a match misconduct and a game misconduct. Ryan Donato scored his first goal in Crimson although since it was an exhibition game I am not sure if it will count in his stats.

For those who have not been to Bright since last season, they have ripped out all the old seating and replaced it with theatre type seating. Looks nice but it seems like the seats are designed to look up at a movie screen rather than down at a rink as the seats slope backward a bit too much. Not good for those of us with lumbar disk issues. I will try to remember to bring a back cushion to future games.
                  UNB TIED an AHL team and you tied them !! Is this a first, a college team(Canadian) playing a pro team ?
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    UNB TIED an AHL team and you tied them !! Is this a first, a college team(Canadian) playing a pro team ?
                    A quick google search says UNB has played Portland before (losing 4-2) and Univ. of British Columbia played the Flames affiliate a few years ago (losing 3-2). Seems another team, the University of Alberta, played the Oilers rookie team (and possibly won? I can't tell).

So it's not without precedent, but beating an AHL team is.

Of course, all things being equal, UMass-Lowell beat UNB 3-2. Should also note that UPEI, who we beat 3-1, went and lost 7-0 to Dartmouth the next night. Also of note, UPEI features Jeff Beukeboom's son Brock is on the roster.
                    Last edited by alslammerz; 10-28-2015, 01:05 PM. Reason: missing "is"
                    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                    Go Crimson!

Comment

Only 2 days + ~6 hours to get your picks in. Remember Friday at 7PM is the cutoff.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...78#post6214478
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I for one am glad Bracco ended up decommitting from us.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                          I for one am glad Bracco ended up decommitting from us.
                          Why? Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            Why? Am I missing something here?
                            He left BC after all of a month to go play in the OHL. Supposedly he practiced with the team (BC) Tuesday and signed with Kitchener on Wednesday. Would have been a waste of an admit - to quit on your team like that? BC fans are rightly P.O.'d, and I'm just glad we had advanced warning we weren't getting him.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

Less than 12 hours to go to get your picks in. 7PM tonight is the deadline.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...test-2015-2016
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                              X