Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2015-2016 - All things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Great article by Jimmy Vesey about turning down pros to come back to Harvard to get his degree:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jim...arvard-hockey/
    It must be wrong though because here's this guy going to the NHL saying Donato made him a better player, and all of the enlightened souls on the USCHO board keep telling us how bad he is as a coach. Poor misinformed Jimmy... (Can I lay the sarcasm on ANY thicker???)
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Comment

Great article by Jimmy Vesey about turning down pros to come back to Harvard to get his degree:

I enjoyed reading that. There have been some cool first person articles on that site. Two things about it - I wish he was a little more adamant about the fact that he's going to Harvard, and that he's staying and will be getting a Harvard degree. It's Harvard!! Once he gets that degree, regardless of how his NHL career goes, those asinine scouts that asked him that question will hopefully be working for him one day. Second, the image of the team on the bench over the Disney Ice Show ad on the boards was funny. Such a juxtaposition.

Who is the other guy behind the bench next to Donato? I noticed him when BU played there in January. He seems a little too young to be an assistant coach, but that's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        All of a sudden, I feel old. Really old. Hopefully Jack is a combination of his dad and his uncle. If so, yeah, BIG PICK UP!!
        Me, too. Someone please tell me that Harvard is recruiting 2nd graders...?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          It must be wrong though because here's this guy going to the NHL saying Donato made him a better player, and all of the enlightened souls on the USCHO board keep telling us how bad he is as a coach. Poor misinformed Jimmy... (Can I lay the sarcasm on ANY thicker???)
          Hey I haven't complained about him all year!

Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

Who is the other guy behind the bench next to Donato? I noticed him when BU played there in January. He seems a little too young to be an assistant coach, but that's just me.
            Paul Pearl, 2nd year he's been an assistant coach, he was formerly the hockey coach for Holy Cross.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
              Paul Pearl, 2nd year he's been an assistant coach, he was formerly the hockey coach for Holy Cross.
              Associate HC, was a head coach at Holy Cross for about 15 years
              Had the huge NCAA upset vs u Minn

Comment

Thanks to Clarkson for the video and their announcers are outstanding.

Not upset about the loss. Clarkson showed they were the better team when they routed Harvard at Bright. They don't make stupid mistakes like taking a 5 minute penalty down by two goals with about 7 minutes left. Very undisciplined team.

Comment

Harvsrd's 3rd period was best team played in months. Major aside, the team actually skated and the D brought the puck up the ice with purpose.

Lots of lazy penalties.

Harvard buries it'll the open net chances and they win game.

Brutal Kerfoot giveaway on 1st goal and Madden soft on 2nd.

I felt better after this loss then the tie vs Cornell or win vs Colgate.

Vesey is snakebitten

Comment

Awesome read. Thx for posting.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

This guy is an all around class act. I was lucky enough to see him play live twice over the last couple of seasons and meet him at the Hobey Baker Award presentation last year. In the brief couple of seconds I got with him as I shuffled down the line getting the players' autographs, I could already tell that this guy wasn't like most of the other players. He clearly had his head screwed on straight. We need more guys like this in all college sports.

I would also point out to the guys out there advocating that we should pay college athletes, and the guys like Richard Sherman who say we don't appreciate how hard a varsity athlete's schedule is, that Harvard, like all the Ivy League schools, doesn't offer any athletic scholarships. He's doing all this without a scholarship and he's not complaining. Harvard, Yale and Cornell are all ranked in the Top 20 right now. Another reason college hockey is the best sport out there; the best players pick their schools based on where they think they'll have the best chance to succeed, not based on who has the latest deal with Nike or the biggest TV contract. As hard as the B1G is trying to make hockey all about money just like their other sports, its nice to read an article like this from a player at a traditional hockey school which highlights that money isn't everything.
                      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Fabulous post. And he nailed it about what it's like to be involved with a team balancing school, social life, hockey, internships, etc... . It is an ultra stressful process, one that will shape him for the rest of his life. Pro hockey can't do that for him. He'll be so prepared for life in the NHL once he graduates. And I really wish he had told that moron to go pound sand. Maybe he'll run into him next season while playing for the Preds.

Comment

Harvsrd's 3rd period was best team played in months. Major aside, the team actually skated and the D brought the puck up the ice with purpose.

Lots of lazy penalties.

Harvard buries it'll the open net chances and they win game.

Brutal Kerfoot giveaway on 1st goal and Madden soft on 2nd.

I felt better after this loss then the tie vs Cornell or win vs Colgate.

Vesey is snakebitten
                          I agree about the third period but not about the overall result. We've been up and down now for two months and while we need only one point to secure third place tonight, are you really that confident about the team going into the ECAC tournament? I'm not. Too many issues on D and in goal. That said, if we wind up facing Dartmouth in the quarters, I like our chances. Not so much if Clarkson jumps both Dartmouth and RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I enjoyed reading that. There have been some cool first person articles on that site. Two things about it - I wish he was a little more adamant about the fact that he's going to Harvard, and that he's staying and will be getting a Harvard degree. It's Harvard!! Once he gets that degree, regardless of how his NHL career goes, those asinine scouts that asked him that question will hopefully be working for him one day. Second, the image of the team on the bench over the Disney Ice Show ad on the boards was funny. Such a juxtaposition.

How much more adamant did you want him to be? I think he drove home the point and then some by describing his life at Harvard and how proud he is to be a Boston kid graduating from an Ivy school. The message was loud and clear. You can be a top prospect and attend an Ivy institution, get a top flight education, graduate with your class and still have a shot at making the NHL. Alex Killorn has done it and is succeeding brilliantly at Tampa Bay. Too bad Brian Hart didn't listen to Vesey. But that's his choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              I agree about the third period but not about the overall result. We've been up and down now for two months and while we need only one point to secure third place tonight, are you really that confident about the team going into the ECAC tournament? I'm not. Too many issues on D and in goal. That said, if we wind up facing Dartmouth in the quarters, I like our chances. Not so much if Clarkson jumps both Dartmouth and RPI.
                              I agree. Team is .500 (8-8-1) since Jan 1. I know they have it in them, just need to start clicking.

Comment

Scholarship, aid, who cares in fairness
                                The Ivy schools pretty much match it. Would rather have very aggressive "aid" vs a 1 or 2 for 4, which 95%+ get, if lucky

Comment

Working...
                                X