Adrian Hockey: Season 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Hockey: Season 9

Sorry. Nothing comes to mind for a thread title.

Okay, let's see. Lots of freshmen. Lots of top-line scoring. Lots of goaltenders. Lots of size.

I don't know what's going to happen this season. I know the coaching staff really likes this freshman class. I liked what I saw from the goaltenders. I think I'm going to like our results this season. It's just a matter of how much I'm going to like it. No predictions. I want to see what we've got in live action first.

Our original top line of Thompson-Brothers-McCloy returns, as well as a nice chunk of our defensive corps. The only concern is just how well the freshmen jell, with the first weekend being a road trip to one of our favorite places to play, at MSOE. But all in all, in the end, I think we'll be fine.

Let's go.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Adrian Hockey: Season 9

From what I can see, this season will once again hinge on head to head with SNC. The only question I have is who else has the grit to step up and challenge ? I think parody in the NCHA would benefit whoever represents in the tournament. Let's roll.
    GO BULLDOGS !!!

Comment

MSOE 5
      Adrian 1

From what I've been told, Kohn played an excellent game for MSOE. Period. No qualifications. Tip your hat to him.

First things first. The wheels aren't coming off. I didn't see the game, but I was given updates from someone who I trust very well. Apparently a goal went off the goaltender's back into the net, and there were 2 ENG's while we were on the power play late, trying to get back into the game. Fine. Adjust accordingly. But it's still a loss, we still only scored 1 goal, and we've still got things to sort through and adjustments to make.

We've been here before. We'll be fine. I'm pretty certain of that. We've got too much firepower for me to believe otherwise.
      Last edited by Hammer; 10-30-2015, 09:32 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Adrian 5
        MSOE 3

A better result. We've got things to work on (ahem...power play), and players to sort out. This is why I wish we opened with Northland again, like we have the past couple years. But this is the hand we were dealt, so here we go. We're gonna be fine.

One impression that I did get: MSOE is going to be better than we expected. They're going to be in the conversation for the top 4 teams in the league.

On another note, I listened to the MSOE play-by-play guy today, for the first time in years. A new guy from a few years ago. A very big improvement. That was enjoyable to listen to. Very professional. Good job.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Got to go to today's game. Either Adrian is really good or Northland is really bad. Probably a little of both. I don't think the 11-2 final score was indicative of the amount Adrian dominated play. Shots were 57-16 and Adrian missed the net on at least 30 more shots.
          Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Both.

Northland is much improved, but still pretty bad. Adrian was picked to win their league.

Glad you came out today.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Adrian 5
              Northland 1

Adrian 11
              Northland 2

Simply put, Adrian handled their business this weekend. The Friday night affair was a great effort....for the first 20 minutes. After that the players tried to cruise. Northland made it a game on a 5x3 goal in the 2nd, but at no point did it feel like the game was in jeopardy.

This afternoon's game was a flat-out mauling. Adrian played a nice full 60 minutes instead of 20. The 11-2 score was indicative of the way the game went. The game was 1-1 at one point in the first, but it was 4-1 after one and 8-1 after two. It was also very nice to see Brent Sauve score a pair, and you could tell that his teammates wanted to get him the hat trick. It simply wasn't in the cards. Brent doesn't play very much, but he was tremendous today. I'm glad he was rewarded on the scoresheet.

Northland is improved. But they're still a bad team. They've got a goaltender in AJ Smith. But once we shelled him for six today, he was pulled, and fortunately for Northland's sake, the score wasn't as bad as it could have been. Given the other two goaltenders that played, this could have been a 15 goal day for Adrian.
              Last edited by Hammer; 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM. Reason: I can't believe I butchered Sauve's first name. That was terrible.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Adrian visits US Under 18s Wednesday (11/25). This will be my first look at the Bulldogs this year. Looks like a new crop of freshmen are prepared to carry the torch. Interesting struggles early on so far, seems pretty standard after graduating a big class. Also seems to be some parity in the NCHA (maybe across the country?).

Anyone have an idea how USA is this year or how they've faired vs D1/D3 teams?

Comment

Adrian 1
                  U-18 0

End 1

God, that was fun...

Comment

1-1, end 2

God, that was fun...

Comment

U-18 4
                      Adrian 1

Talent took over in the 3rd.

God, that was fun...

Comment

One more thing before Thanksgiving.

Great game tonight...for about 45 minutes. Adrian got on the board in the 1st, then the U-18's tied it up late in the 2nd on a power play. They got another goal early in the 3rd, and then turned it on after that. That's going to happen in their own barn, given the talent over there. From what I saw tonight, they're not quite as good as they have been the past two years, but that's a hell of a bar to clear to start with.

UWSP goes there on Sunday afternoon, after they play us on Saturday night. If you can stream Sunday's tilt, it will be well worth your time to do so.

God, that was fun...

Comment

At first I was surprised at the score with Adrian losing 4-1. You'd think a group of older guys would hang with a bunch of high-schoolers better than that until you look at the NTDP U18 team's record. http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/sh...eam?subseason=

The U18 team is very good. They've beaten D1 teams Niagra, Dartmouth, Boston University, and Lake Superior State, and tied Notre Dame. They've beaten the National teams from Sweden, Czech, Finland and Switzerland. According to my math they're 7-3 in USHL games as well.

Stevens Point gets 'em in a few days. So I say props to Adrian; a loss to a really good team.

Adrian got 40 shots on them...they got 48 shots on Adrian. Was probably a fun game to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Wrister View Post
                            At first I was surprised at the score with Adrian losing 4-1. You'd think a group of older guys would hang with a bunch of high-schoolers better than that until you look at the NTDP U18 team's record. http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/sh...eam?subseason=

The U18 team is very good. They've beaten D1 teams Niagra, Dartmouth, Boston University, and Lake Superior State, and tied Notre Dame. They've beaten the National teams from Sweden, Czech, Finland and Switzerland. According to my math they're 7-3 in USHL games as well.

Stevens Point gets 'em in a few days. So I say props to Adrian; a loss to a really good team.

Adrian got 40 shots on them...they got 48 shots on Adrian. Was probably a fun game to watch.
                            This is not your typical collection of high school students. Indeed, if the NHL chooses not to participate in the Olympics in 2018, some of these guys will form the core of the U.S. Olympic team.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Exactly...they're excellent players. They have some big guys, too. My son played with a bunch of the guys who've been on that team in the past and several are NHL draftees and a couple are actually playing in the show. As I said, good job Adrian.

Comment

Working...
                              X