Ohio State vs Minnesota State 10/23 - 10/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Minnesota State 10/23 - 10/24

Well, here we are in week four of the season already. Things get easier for the Buckeyes this weekend. Now, hold on Minnesota State fans, no disrespect intended here! If you checked our schedule the past couple weekends, we played at #3 Wisconsin and at home vs #1 Minnesota, so I think you understand why I am saying things will be easier this weekend! That is not to come out a predict a sweep. I don't get on here and predict sweeps because I respect our opponents and we play in a tough league where nothing is a given (unless you're a Wisconsin or Minnesota fan, then you can get on here and predict sweeps and not have it come back to haunt you), but I digress. This weekend the Buckeyes and Mavericks will meet in Columbus with Friday's game starting at 6:07 pm EST and Saturday's game starting at 1:07 pm EST. The Buckeyes will be a hungry team looking to get back in the win column, and I am sure the Mavericks will be equally hungry as both teams have dropped four in a row. The Buckeyes have some players out, but the seniors want to go out on a positive note, and they are getting some help from a talented freshman class as well as others. Goaltenders Stacy Danczak and Alex LaMere had a tough time vs Wisconsin and Minnesota, but were solid against Lindenwood in the season opening games. As has been the case in recent years, it has been scoring by committee here and several girls have notched goals or assists. Unlike this past weekend, our football team is on the road, so visiting fans will not have to pay $15 to park as was the case this past Saturday vs Minnesota. Maverick fans, tell us your thoughts on your team and the season so far. Both our programs have a couple things in common this season. First off, we both have first-year coaches. Secondly, both our coaches are former Olympians who have won gold. In fact, I just told the wife I may have to bring the sharpie and have Coach Harrington sign my Miracle dvd. Good luck to both teams this weekend and the rest of the season, and here's to an injury-free series.

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Well, here we are in week four of the season already. Things get easier for the Buckeyes this weekend. Now, hold on Minnesota State fans, no disrespect intended here! If you checked our schedule the past couple weekends, we played at #3 Wisconsin and at home vs #1 Minnesota, so I think you understand why I am saying things will be easier this weekend! That is not to come out a predict a sweep. I don't get on here and predict sweeps because I respect our opponents and we play in a tough league where nothing is a given (unless you're a Wisconsin or Minnesota fan, then you can get on here and predict sweeps and not have it come back to haunt you), but I digress. This weekend the Buckeyes and Mavericks will meet in Columbus with Friday's game starting at 6:07 pm EST and Saturday's game starting at 1:07 pm EST. The Buckeyes will be a hungry team looking to get back in the win column, and I am sure the Mavericks will be equally hungry as both teams have dropped four in a row. The Buckeyes have some players out, but the seniors want to go out on a positive note, and they are getting some help from a talented freshman class as well as others. Goaltenders Stacy Danczak and Alex LaMere had a tough time vs Wisconsin and Minnesota, but were solid against Lindenwood in the season opening games. As has been the case in recent years, it has been scoring by committee here and several girls have notched goals or assists. Unlike this past weekend, our football team is on the road, so visiting fans will not have to pay $15 to park as was the case this past Saturday vs Minnesota. Maverick fans, tell us your thoughts on your team and the season so far. Both our programs have a couple things in common this season. First off, we both have first-year coaches. Secondly, both our coaches are former Olympians who have won gold. In fact, I just told the wife I may have to bring the sharpie and have Coach Harrington sign my Miracle dvd. Good luck to both teams this weekend and the rest of the season, and here's to an injury-free series.
    No offense taken OSUALUM but do believe that nothing will be "easier" this year for the Buckeyes. It's a transition year for them and next year will be better. They will have to fight and claw for every win this year. New coach, no twins, injuries to key players...things will improve! Be patient. You have a good one in Jenny Potter.

Comment

Re: Ohio State vs Minnesota State 10/23 - 10/24

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      No offense taken OSUALUM but do believe that nothing will be "easier" this year for the Buckeyes. It's a transition year for them and next year will be better. They will have to fight and claw for every win this year. New coach, no twins, injuries to key players...things will improve! Be patient. You have a good one in Jenny Potter.
      I agree nothing will be "easy" this season. I was just alluding to playing Minnesota State instead of the #3 and #1 teams in the country back-to-back. As I said in the original post, I definitely did not intend any disrespect to the Mavericks. I just feel we match up better with them than we did with Wisconsin and Minnesota. I totally agree that this is a transition year (obviously), and though I cannot speak for the whole fanbase, this guy is going to be patient and enjoy the process. You are correct that things will improve, and I think we'll see improvement out of this squad as the season goes on. I also agree with you wholeheartedly that we have a good one in Jenny Potter! I was thrilled when I first read the story that we hired her, and I still feel the same way. It may take a few seasons, but I believe she will get this program to the next level. She certainly knows what it takes to win. I would say Minnesota State's coach knows what it takes to win, too, when I stop and think about it. So, was John Harrington part of the "Conehead" line, or was that just made-up story for the movie?

Comment

Thanks for answering Puckdrop14! Wasn't sure how much traffic I would get on an Ohio State vs Minnesota State thread!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          So, was John Harrington part of the "Conehead" line, or was that just made-up story for the movie?
          Followed that team ardently; even attended some of their pre-Olympic games. To the best of my recollection, the Conehead Line was real. Besides Harrington, it included Mark Pavelich and Buzz Schneider. All natives of Northern Minnesota. Harrington and Pavelich from UMD; Schneider from U of M.

All of the above info is off the top of my head; all of it is IIRC. And it was 35 years ago. So I hope I'm not confusing fact and fiction. Admittedly Miracle took some liberties with the truth. But I think I've got the story straight.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Besides Harrington, it included Mark Pavelich and Buzz Schneider. All natives of Northern Minnesota. Harrington and Pavelich from UMD; Schneider from U of M.
            You're correct. Pavelich was from Eveleth, Harrington from Virginia, and Schneider from Babbitt.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

If you can find Coach H., tell him "hi" from the Mankato fans . His focus is on the game, where it should be. But yes, I understand some references to "the Conehead line" have been made and answered.

We have some good talent on the team; they are just young. They did some positive things in Duluth, including solid puck control and movement at times. The girls are learning they have to play three strong periods of hockey in the WCHA, two days in a row. I think this will be a good weekend series for both teams.

Comment

I heard that Potter's husband was let go as the girls coach in Mpale Grove. Any truth to this? I always wondered shy he would stay here when she lives in Ohio. Anyways, he is a good one and would not be suprised if he surfaced at Ohio St.

Comment

As MSU fans, we understand MSU will be an easier opponent than UM and UW. No need to backtrack. MSU will have it slightly easier than UND and UMD as well.

MSU has 11 sophomores and 10 freshman. They are a young team. They only have 1 senior (who missed the last game and may be out for OSU). Three juniors 1 at each position. Quade has been solid in net and has played every minute so far this season. Biggest positive difference I've seen this season is Harrington plays all lines. No one expects MSU to win the WCHA this season - build for future.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Followed that team ardently; even attended some of their pre-Olympic games. To the best of my recollection, the Conehead Line was real. Besides Harrington, it included Mark Pavelich and Buzz Schneider. All natives of Northern Minnesota. Harrington and Pavelich from UMD; Schneider from U of M.

All of the above info is off the top of my head; all of it is IIRC. And it was 35 years ago. So I hope I'm not confusing fact and fiction. Admittedly Miracle took some liberties with the truth. But I think I've got the story straight.
                    The movie got that part right ... Harrington, Pavelich, and Schneider. "Pass, shoot, score ... pass, shoot, score."

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                      As MSU fans, we understand MSU will be an easier opponent than UM and UW. No need to backtrack. MSU will have it slightly easier than UND and UMD as well.

MSU has 11 sophomores and 10 freshman. They are a young team. They only have 1 senior (who missed the last game and may be out for OSU). Three juniors 1 at each position. Quade has been solid in net and has played every minute so far this season. Biggest positive difference I've seen this season is Harrington plays all lines. No one expects MSU to win the WCHA this season - build for future.
                      "Build for future" ... I would say that describes our team as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
                        I heard that Potter's husband was let go as the girls coach in Mpale Grove. Any truth to this? I always wondered shy he would stay here when she lives in Ohio. Anyways, he is a good one and would not be suprised if he surfaced at Ohio St.
                        A thread on the MN High School Girls Forum is still showing the Maple Grove coaching position as open. Not sure if Mr. Potter was let go or quit voluntarily, but they better move fast to fill the position because the games will start soon. Here's the status of open positions, per the Forum:

Anoka -
                        Bloomington Jefferson - Craig Shepherd
                        Cambridge-Isanti - Corey Bustrom
                        Chisago Lakes - Dave Burgen
                        Cloquet-Esko-Carlton - Courtney Esse
                        Duluth - Jamie Kenyon
                        East Ridge - Tom Kulenkamp
                        Henry Sibley - Allie Duellman
                        Hutchinson - Joe Meier
                        Lakeville South - Mark Johnson
                        Maple Grove -
                        Northern Lakes - Jon Stockler
                        Rochester Century- Tom Aney
                        Shakopee - Erin Hunt
                        St. Cloud -
                        St. Francis -
                        St. Paul United - Nate Mauer
                        Totino Grace - Maria Swanson

the ones filled in are per MSHSL.....some are still TBD time is ticking
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          A thread on the MN High School Girls Forum is still showing the Maple Grove coaching position as open. Not sure if Mr. Potter was let go or quit voluntarily, but they better move fast to fill the position because the games will start soon. Here's the status of open positions, per the Forum:

Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Cloquet-Esko-Carlton - Courtney Esse
                            Duluth - Jamie Kenyon
                            Henry Sibley - Allie Duellman
                            At least three women's WCHA alums joining the coaching ranks.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You beat me to it, brookyone. I had my all ready to go. Guess it's just a reminder that names like Johnson and Olson are pretty common in the Upper Midwest...

St. Paul United - Nate Mauer
                              Any relation to the well-compensated MLB player?

the ones filled in are per MSHSL.....some are still TBD time is ticking
                              No kidding. Best of luck to the schools that still have positions to fill. Maybe some of the hires are complete, but for whatever reason remain unannounced?

Comment

Working...
                              X