PDA

View Full Version : Boston College 2015-2016 Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

RENCEB
12-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Just had a conversation about this yesterday at a corporate gathering.
I never had a doubt about B. Gionta. Regardless of his size, he is built like a fire hydrant, big bones, stocky and very strong. Can absorb a lot of whatever gets dished his way.
Gerbe... not as strong, but very quick and able to avoid the big hit and big trouble. Can absorb some big hits.
Johnny G. . . A very, very slight build. I always thought they would break him in half at the NHL level. UNTIL I saw his junior year. JG got hurt in his soph year (I believe at World Juniors) and although half of JG is better than anyone else on the ice, he was not the same player the entire second half of that season. Jr. year he came back healthy and smarter, as guys took runs at him all season and he rarely took a hit. So, he became as much of a magician at avoiding hits as he was with the puck. He learned to avoid pretty much every hit. He's going to have to continue to be vigilant in his self survival... never letting his guard down. His bone structure simply cannot absorb a heavy hit, especially from the grunts in the NHL. I think he'll survive... smartest guy on the ice.

Skill level for all of these guys was never a doubt, IMO. Johnny G skill level is off the charts.Wow, thank you Dr. FiveHole! Who foresaw a discussion of Endomorphs vs. Ectomorphs happening on a college hockey forum. Honestly, I feel smarter today!:D

mookie1995
12-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Sadly I think you are probably right. BU is so ambivalent about basketball that we moved our games back to the little high school sized gym upstairs. Even if BC were to ever come down and play at BU (not likely I know), I'm not sure we would even come close to filling Agganis..

the igles fans would come fill it up since they could drink beer (with the nice price of $8.03 ;) )

claver2010
12-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Johnny G. . . A very, very slight build. I always thought they would break him in half at the NHL level. UNTIL I saw his junior year. JG got hurt in his soph year (I believe at World Juniors) and although half of JG is better than anyone else on the ice, he was not the same player the entire second half of that season. Jr. year he came back healthy and smarter, as guys took runs at him all season and he rarely took a hit. So, he became as much of a magician at avoiding hits as he was with the puck. He learned to avoid pretty much every hit. He's going to have to continue to be vigilant in his self survival... never letting his guard down. His bone structure simply cannot absorb a heavy hit, especially from the grunts in the NHL. I think he'll survive... smartest guy on the ice.

Skill level for all of these guys was never a doubt, IMO. Johnny G skill level is off the charts.

great point, i don't think i've ever seen someone square up johnny

Nick Papagiorgio
12-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Matty Gaudreau was at the game the other night in Calgary and after Johnny sealed the game with a nice goal they panned over to Matty drinking a beverage in celebration in the stands. Made me chuckle a little bit.

FiveHole12
12-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Wow, thank you Dr. FiveHole! Who foresaw a discussion of Endomorphs vs. Ectomorphs happening on a college hockey forum. Honestly, I feel smarter today!:D
Here's something else to smartin' you up... DRINK YOUR MILK, dammit.
Don't matter how big your bones are. If you don't drink your milk, they'll snap like twigs. True story. :p

SonofSouthie
12-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Don't matter how big your bones are. If you don't drink your milk, they'll snap like twigs. True story. :p
You might want to watch this episode of Adam Ruins Everything. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKa5XrlOmhU

Nick Papagiorgio
12-24-2015, 12:19 PM

It's Dec 24th. Don't you mean "Drink Your Ovaltine"?

Thiessen'sBetter
12-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Skill level for all of these guys was never a doubt, IMO. Johnny G skill level is off the charts.

This might have already been a discussion but who was better: JG in 13-14 or Eichel in 14-15? Gaudreau was statisically better (9 more points, 10 more goals) overall. Eichel had more points in HE games (although less goals). JE was +32 in 22 HE games!?! :eek: KHayes/Arnold > O'Regan/Rodrigues so that is a point to JE. Obviously cant go wrong with either; two all-time great college hockey seasons.

sterlippo1
12-24-2015, 03:41 PM
the igles fans would come fill it up since they could drink beer (with the nice price of $8.03 ;) )

absolutely i'm in! Merry Christmas everyone

ericredaxe
12-24-2015, 06:06 PM
absolutely i'm in! Merry Christmas everyone

With you, Mookie and I we have 3 so far!

Merry Christmas to all you Eagles out there.

defkit
12-25-2015, 04:32 PM
This might have already been a discussion but who was better: JG in 13-14 or Eichel in 14-15? Gaudreau was statisically better (9 more points, 10 more goals) overall. Eichel had more points in HE games (although less goals). JE was +32 in 22 HE games!?! :eek: KHayes/Arnold > O'Regan/Rodrigues so that is a point to JE. Obviously cant go wrong with either; two all-time great college hockey seasons.

Someone on Twitter did a through evaluation last year as the season was wrapping up. I don't remember who. Basically inconclusive. But remember that Eichel was a freshman while Gaudreau was a Junior. Bottom line, those two seasons, plus Kariya in 92-93 are likely the best three by a forward in the last 15 years (I have to point our that either 9 or 11 of Kariya's 100 points were in two games against New Brunswick, which there days would not have counted in his stats - but there was no denying how dominant he was). I think it is great that Gaudreau is having success at the NHL level. Great for college hockey and for small forwards...

sterlippo1
12-28-2015, 11:54 AM
sooooooooo, we have a game tonight! Tuch, Calnan and Wood back in the line up says The Kid. White and Silk only players not in uniform

http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Also, The Kid says this. If true, can someone post here for those that dont do twitter?

"Blogger did not make the trip to South Florida but I heard they may offer a live stream on the website. If they are able to come through with this, I will post a link on the Twitter feed."

TonyTheTiger20
12-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Here's the link to the stream: http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com/cornell

sterlippo1
12-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Here's the link to the stream: http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com/cornell

thanks!

TonyTheTiger20
12-28-2015, 05:36 PM
thanks!

You're very welcome!

sterlippo1
12-28-2015, 06:38 PM
another quick penalty after we score (someone mentioned this problem) , 1-0 early in first.

sterlippo1
12-28-2015, 06:40 PM
and a shorty, 2-0.

sterlippo1
12-28-2015, 08:02 PM
we suck again, 2-2 going into 3rd

Red Hockey
12-28-2015, 08:40 PM
There might not be a game against BC after all; some turn of events.

mookie1995
12-28-2015, 08:51 PM
try not to throw the game against pc tomorrow (like some others...)