Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Agganis has a real problem with this, or at least he would if it involved BC.
    I don't love it, but I assume you understand the difference between any player who is cut this offseason (as it looks like NU and UVM may do based on numbers) not being allowed to play for another school in '16-17 and Kolias deciding he'd rather play for Union in '16-17 than wait to play for BU in '17-18. Please let me know if I'm assuming too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      Kolias deciding he'd rather play for Union in '16-17 than wait to play for BU in '17-18.
      This. From what I understand Kolias wanted to play D1 next season and play for a program where he could get significant minutes right away. We know that was unlikely to happen at BU next season, but he probably would have been in the D rotation in '17-18 based on potential early departures.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
        This. From what I understand Kolias wanted to play D1 next season and play for a program where he could get significant minutes right away. We know that was unlikely to happen at BU next season, but he probably would have been in the D rotation in '17-18 based on potential early departures.
        You're making it sound as if he was originally set to come in for the 17-18 season. It was my understanding he was set to come in next season. But as Rogie mentioned, once Quinn found a better player, Kolias was odd man out. Quinn forced the kid's hand by trying to push him off a year. To be honest, that part doesn't bother me. Not a huge fan of it but I am used to it all around college hockey. All I ever care about is the kid finds a place to play. So I'm glad this kid is going to Union and hope it works out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          You're making it sound as if he was originally set to come in for the 17-18 season. It was my understanding he was set to come in next season. But as Rogie mentioned, once Quinn found a better player, Kolias was odd man out. Quinn forced the kid's hand by trying to push him off a year. To be honest, that part doesn't bother me. Not a huge fan of it but I am used to it all around college hockey. All I ever care about is the kid finds a place to play. So I'm glad this kid is going to Union and hope it works out for him.
          I think ultimately Kolias would have been a good 4-year player at BU, but his impact probably would not have been felt until the '17-18 season even if he came next year. I wish him well at Union.

But to your point I have some concerns about the direction recruiting in general is trending, beyond the B1G proposal. Between some programs securing VERY EARLY commitments (with both players and coaches recanting said commitments), some programs stockpiling recruits and then having to cut players, and other programs building entirely around older players -- there's much more volatility than ever IMO. But I'll table this discussion for another time.

Comment

Was Kolias a Parker recruit?- committed in fall of 2013 and the plan all along was for 2016
            Need 4year players along with the elite who leave early

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
              Was Kolias a Parker recruit?- committed in fall of 2013 and the plan all along was for 2016
              Need 4year players along with the elite who leave early
              Quinn recruit. Agree 110% that balance between 4-year players and elite talent is necessary to sustain success. The '09 BU team is a great example - Senior class (Gilroy, McCarthy, Yip, Higgins, Lawrence, Smolinsky) w/ elite underclassmen (Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Cohen). The tricky part for coaches is guesstimating when an elite player will leave early and whether a program can absorb such turnover through quality and depth of talent.

Comment

I think ultimately Kolias would have been a good 4-year player at BU, but his impact probably would not have been felt until the '17-18 season even if he came next year. I wish him well at Union.
                I'm confused. mookie tells me probably won't have any defensemen next season. (See BU thread) Please advise.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  I'm confused. mookie tells me probably won't have any defensemen next season. (See BU thread) Please advise.
                  Seriously
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

#savevalvenis

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      Seriously
                      My $.02 about the D.

Graduating:
                      * Grzelcyk

Flight Risks:
                      * Somerby (high)
                      * Macleod (low-medium) -- I really hope he stays, but he hasn't played well and needs to play the way he did much of last season in order to regain a regular role.
                      * Hickey (low) -- I think he needs at least 1 more year. Haven't seen his offensive game progress this year. Calgary has typically been more patient with the NCAA players they take in 3rd round (i.e. Gaudreau, Gillies, Jankowski). I also wouldn't be surprised if Hickey is next year's captain.

No-Show:
                      * Krys (low) -- There were some rumors circulating from Canada a while back that he might to go the Q, but nothing since. Won't assume anything until he's in the lineup opening night next season.
                      * Fabbro (low) -- Getting him to commit was huge, but you never know. Also, won't assume anything until he's in the lineup opening night next season.

Returning:
                      * McAvoy -- He needs at least another year, probably 2. He's projected to go in middle of the 1st round, so it's more likely the team drafting him doesn't have an immediate need for him to fill.
                      * Fortunato
                      * Diffley
                      * Switzer

Comment

Am I correct that Somerby will be very close to graduating at the end of the spring semester?
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

My $.02 about the D.

Graduating:
                          * Grzelcyk

Flight Risks:
                          * Somerby (high)
                          * Macleod (low-medium) -- I really hope he stays, but he hasn't played well and needs to play the way he did much of last season in order to regain a regular role.
                          * Hickey (low) -- I think he needs at least 1 more year. Haven't seen his offensive game progress this year. Calgary has typically been more patient with the NCAA players they take in 3rd round (i.e. Gaudreau, Gillies, Jankowski). I also wouldn't be surprised if Hickey is next year's captain.

No-Show:
                          * Krys (low) -- There were some rumors circulating from Canada a while back that he might to go the Q, but nothing since. Won't assume anything until he's in the lineup opening night next season.
                          * Fabbro (low) -- Getting him to commit was huge, but you never know. Also, won't assume anything until he's in the lineup opening night next season.

Returning:
                          * McAvoy -- He needs at least another year, probably 2. He's projected to go in middle of the 1st round, so it's more likely the team drafting him doesn't have an immediate need for him to fill.
                          * Fortunato
                          * Diffley
                          * Switzer
                          Overall, sounds about right, although the "temperature" of some flight risks might be changing.

Re McAvoy: Was wondering if any college defensemen besides Hanifan have gone directly to the NHL after one year in college. Leetch and Lachance both played in the NHL during the season after freshman year, but in both cases it was late in the season after playing with Team USA in the Olympics.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

All depends on who drafts Charlie.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              All depends on who drafts Charlie.
                              A boatload of talent, I'd argue the most since Shattenkirk, but so young and so raw. He's not ready. Whether his drafting team recognizes that, we'll see. He has the potential for a lengthy pro career ahead of him.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                                Overall, sounds about right, although the "temperature" of some flight risks might be changing.

Re McAvoy: Was wondering if any college defensemen besides Hanifan have gone directly to the NHL after one year in college. Leetch and Lachance both played in the NHL during the season after freshman year, but in both cases it was late in the season after playing with Team USA in the Olympics.
                                Leddy, E Johnson, Suter

Comment

Working...
                                X