Wednesday Women is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday Women is back

Hey all, Arlan and I are back with Wednesday Women. Check it out here: http://www.uscho.com/2015/10/14/wedn...y-season-read/

We even mention the forums!

Hope you like. We'll be doing this every week for the rest of the season.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Re: Wednesday Women is back

WOO!

WW ftw
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

And here I thought you didn’t like BC much, judging by how you taunt Eagles fans on the boards....
      ...I don’t dislike BC; my interaction with the Eagles’ fan base is primarily with one fan, whom I first met almost eight years ago and like as well;
      Oh that is just fantastic. Cheers

Comment

I thought you'd enjoy that Grant!
        "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
          I thought you'd enjoy that Grant!
          Oh of course, who doesn't love a little attention every now and then haha

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
            Hey all, Arlan and I are back with Wednesday Women. Check it out here: http://www.uscho.com/2015/10/14/wedn...y-season-read/

We even mention the forums!

Hope you like. We'll be doing this every week for the rest of the season.
            I'm glad it's finally back. I started a weekly women's thread over on reddit in the college hockey subreddit this year and have been waiting for these to start up again. I find these to be a great overview of women's college hockey and wanted this column to be one of mandatory links I incorporated in my post. So thanks for doing these it helped me get an understanding of D1 women's hockey when I first started reading them when RIT moved up four years ago and hopefully I get a few more redditors reading WW.

Comment

New one is up. Linked on the front page, or go here: http://www.uscho.com/2015/10/21/wedn...te-of-defense/

Comment

big gap between the top teams and the rest?

here are the combined records of the teams the top 4 have played, plus the goals for and against for those teams:
                Minnesota W13 - L20 GF75 - GA124
                Wisconsin W12 - L17 GF60 - GA122
                Boston C W11 - L24 GF79 - GA124
                Clarkson W11 - L27 GF90 - GA135

interesting that by the numbers, MN & BC, they must be playing the same teams
                in fact, MI & WI nearly have, up until last week, which accounts for the small difference in their numbers

the only team these 4 teams have played that has a winning record:

Bemidji who is 6-2-2 and has scored 18 goals and given up 15 (7 of them in losing twice to WI)

the only other team to score more than they have given up:
                Syracuse, who has scored 24 goals and given up 18 but is 3-4, beaten by Clarkson once

IOW, the statistics of these teams are somewhat inflated
                wait a few weeks, as was said in the column, before drawing any conclusions about the difference between the top and the rest

Comment

Not arguing that the stats aren't inflated, but you have to remove the games played against the four teams you are looking at from the records and stats of their opponents. That's basic methodology for this kind of analysis.

Comment

Yeah "the teams that have played undefeated teams have all lost a lot" is kind of a scorching hot take lol

Also "wow these teams that have played teams that score a lot of goals have given up a lot of goals" haha

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

IOW, ...
                      wait a few weeks, as was said in the column, before drawing any conclusions about the difference between the top and the rest
                      apparently you two DB's failed to read this, reading the forum, fans of MN, WI, BC talk as if ... well let's use brooyone's thread title: ...confection free"
                      are you kidding me? the MN schedule this year is no different than the one BC played last year

somewhat surprising that eeyore would skip over the conclusion, given eeyore is such an expert on statistics, scientific design, and come to think of it law, hockey, ... just about everything, why waste time reading the statistics and critiqing the methodology when the conclusion is there is too little data to draw any conclusion.

yeah, throw out the games against cupcakes, there are no games left for MN & BC

IOW,take off your Maroon and Gold (cardinal & white for the cheeseheads) glasses
                      your teams are feasting on cupcakes
                      Last edited by pokechecker; 10-29-2015, 09:20 AM. Reason: eeyore<-- between morons --> TTT

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        IOW,take off your Maroon and Gold glasses
                        your teams are feasting on cupcakes
                        Call the fire department because pokechecker is just spewing blazing hot takes this morning.

Anyway you missed the point that both of us are making which is that you are making a calculation error. We said no more nor less than that. In fact Eeyore said "Not arguing that the stats aren't inflated..."

But you know this.
                        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The basic difference between the top (MN, BC, WI) and the rest is that these three teams are definitely playing in the national championship tournament. Can't say that about any other teams right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Call the fire department because pokechecker is just spewing blazing hot takes this morning.

Anyway you missed the point that both of us are making which is that you are making a calculation error. We said no more nor less than that. In fact Eeyore said "Not arguing that the stats aren't inflated..."

But you know this.

all of these arguments mean nothing until the teams play each other. nobody can figure out who is better. not a scholar nor Will Hunting.

TTT cut him some slack...heard he got a 12 on the math section of the ACT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                              all of these arguments mean nothing until the teams play each other.
                              I just hope that they do. I'm still bummed that last season ended w/o ever getting to see BC versus Wisconsin or Minnesota. Carpenter played each of those teams in her first two seasons, but the sport really needs it to happen now. I wish we had a tournament more like the NCAA men did ~ 40 years ago where East #1 played West #2 in one semi and West #1 played East #2 in the other.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X