Minnesota vs UMD: 10/16 & 10/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota vs UMD: 10/16 & 10/17

Minnesota and UMD play a home and home series this Friday and Saturday night, both games are at 7pm. Both Friday and Saturday night are on Fox Sports North, as well as streamed on BTN2go/Fox Sports Go.

UMD is coming off a loss playing with the Beavers from Bemidji State, while the Gophers lost at home to Vermont. UMD returns most of it's team from last year while the Gophers had 6 freshman in the lineup this past Saturday and it showed.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota vs UMD: 10/16 & 10/17

Soooooooooooo were tDogs too scared to play Bemidji at home that they had to report that "the power went out at the arena"? I doubt they will feel that way this coming weekend with the Gophers coming to town for the Saturday tilt. This is probably the most confident tDogs have felt coming into a Minnesota series in some time. The only reason I really ask about the power situation is because it would be a bummer for the usually large Gopher contingent making the trip to not get to see a game up there LOL!

Sad I can't make the trip this year. Got family coming up from Nebraska for the Gopher football game this weekend
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Bulldogs sweep. Sad to say it, but the Gophs are too young and don't look ready for prime time.

Comment

Last year's Dogs team was probably the best team the Gophers played all year. And with the Gophers having a returning froz4 team, we got it handed to us 4 out of 5 games. UMD is returning with its same team that it used to completely shellac us and we've got totally gutted team that validated that by not showing up last weekend.

Hope you guys make a serious run at the NC. But on paper, this weekend is a wipe out.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

This one might get ugly. Then again, Daloot lost to Bemidji so maybe they aren't as good as everyone is making them out to be. I am curious to see the new look Gophers so I will have to tune in to some of the Friday game.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I watched the Saturday game between the Dogs and Beavers. UMD looked great the first ten minutes of the game. Bemidji could not get it out of their own end. I thought it would be a blow out!! A dumb penalty gave Bemidji some breathing room and they slowly built confidence. IMO UMD gave that one away. My guess is they will not let it happen again this weekend. The 'Dogs have fire power. I see they dropped in the polls but still see them being a top five team. The Gophers?????????????? Might do well in the third best conference in the Midwest. Go Dogs!

Comment

Offhand I can't recall a prior season when the Gophers appear to be so out-manned as this year's matchup. They will definitely need some bounces - and tremendous goaltending - if they're to pull out a win in this series.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Looks like Soucy will be out one game for the hit on Bemidji's Fitzgerald. Here is a link to the story and a video of the hit. Can't disagree with this one. I saw it live. It was nasty!!! It was after this hit that Bemidji came a live.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/spo...game-minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
                  Looks like Soucy will be out one game for the hit on Bemidji's Fitzgerald. Here is a link to the story and a video of the hit. Can't disagree with this one. I saw it live. It was nasty!!! It was after this hit that Bemidji came a live.

Lucky to have received just one game - could/should have been more.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post

Yikes
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

What channel for Sat night? My stinkin' channel guide doesn't go that far ahead and I will be out of town, so need record.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        What channel for Sat night? My stinkin' channel guide doesn't go that far ahead and I will be out of town, so need record.
                        FSN.

What everyone else said. I would be surprised if UMD didn't sweep, because UMTC has a lot to replace from last year and will take some time to come together. I don't see it happening this weekend.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Second page????

Wow, just watched the hit by Soucy and he's lucky it's just one game and lucky the guy wasn't hurt worse!

I hope the Gophs can squeak one out at home tonight and play respectably tomorrow night. Bu I'm not at all confident of that.

Comment

Image result for its game day

The first weekend series of the season is always a chance to establish positive momentum going forward. The Gophers lost last week to UVM, but haven't had back-to-back losses at Mariucci since 2011. Last season UMD swept the Gophers in a home and home in Nov. for the first time in 5 years and that began a brutal midseason plunge from #1 in the nation to the basement of the PWR for the Gophers. So with some haunting memories in the minds of returning players for the Gophers, I think this first weekend series may be a lot closer than most fans think.

Despite the shutout loss last week to UVM, Lucia apparently will not be making any drastic changes in the Gopher lineup. Gates/Kloos/Fasching will start on the top line again with expectations of a much more promising outcome than last week. I would expect Bristedt/Novak/C. Reilly, Cammarata/Sheehy/Lettieri and Michealson/Romanko/Ramsey to also remain the same for Friday's tilt. Ryan Collins will face UMD for the sixth and seventh time as a Gopher and will most likely be paired with FR Seeler on D. Schierhorn may get the nod in net again tonight after a reasonably good performance against UVM with more emphasis on controlling rebounds after a miscue last week led to the Catamounts second goal.

A veteran UMD team with 8 SR will invade Mariucci with a hoard of goal scoring potential. Their top line has included FR Johnson, who finished second in the USHL in scoring last season with a 31/40/71 alongside JR center Dominic Toninato and Alex Iafallo. This line has wheels and playmaking ability and Toninato scored in both games in their opening series sweep against the Gophers last season.

Throw in SR center Tony Cameranesi, SR wing Austyn Young, SR wing Austin Farley and their top defensive pairing of FR Neal Pionk, who led all USHL defensemen in scoring last season with 7/41/48 and SR D Andy Welinski, who led the Bulldogs D last season with a 9/12/21, and this team poses a formidable challenge for a young Gopher team of 10 FR. Kasimir Kaskisuo, who had a respectable 2.29 GAA and .917 SV% last season, but allowed 3 goals last week in a surprising loss to Bemidji State will most likely man the net for UMD.

IMO this promises to be grind out, physical series of two close games with two teams that will complete at high speed. The Gophers practiced at Ridder to prepare for Sat. in Duluth, but I don't see the Gophers losing two in a row on the big sheet at Mariucci. Go Gophers! Rah!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              but haven't had back-to-back losses at Mariucci since 2011.
                              *Since last season and three in a row if you count the pathetic exhibition loss to the NTDP.

Comment

Working...
                              X